MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sri Ramani K.

Fury after being kicked off flights

MAS again, overbooked by over 50 people..lets see how far is this going..

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Mon...icle/index_html

SEPANG: The mood was ugly at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) yesterday.

Hundreds of passengers were stranded and some, facing delays, were furious when informed that their Malaysia Airlines flights were overbooked.

Perth-bound MAS passenger Darren Woon, 25, was upset when told his flight was full.

He claimed a MAS employee said it was overbooked by 50 people.

"I can understand if it’s just five people ahead of me, but 50?

"They didn’t even make an effort to contact us. They merely waited for us to turn up, then tell us the bad news.

"This is so unprofessional."

Woon claimed he was supposed to be at work today in Perth.

Foo Ee Lin, 26, who was sending off her 17-year-old sister to Melbourne on a MAS flight, was outraged when told that the flight was overbooked by 60 passengers.

"I’ve been flying to Melbourne for the past six years but this is my worst experience."

She said MAS should have called as her sister’s seat was confirmed. "My sister is having her exam (today), if she misses it, how does MAS plan to compensate?"

Yesterday, the New Straits Times reported that on-time departures had fallen below the airline’s record of above 80 per cent of flights.

Productivity fell as many employees were reportedly unhappy after the management carried out a performance appraisal using a system which they said they were only trying out.

They were also disappointed about their performance bonuses, share options and a recent one-off payment.

MAS human resource senior general manager Effendi Abdul Rahman yesterday issued a statement saying that under the mutual separation scheme last year, 2,622 employees left the company, and not 20,000 as reported.

This year, he said manpower may be reduced by 700.

Sources at the KLIA claimed MAS employees were on a so-called "silent strike". Because of this, they said many international and domestic flights were delayed, including those to Perth, Melbourne, Auckland, Penang, Johor Baru and Kota Kinabalu.

Overbooking is quite a common thing to do. But -60 is quite an anomaly, especially if they're so far in the hole so close to departure. Either their Yield Management team is chronically understaffed or they really need to change their yield management software.

Even SQ, at the busiest of times, would only overbook MEL flights to an average of -30, excluding guaranteed booking perks enjoyed by QPP/TPP pax. And these will usually be resolved on the day of departure as SQ has really good yield mgt. Otherwise involuntarily denied boarding pax will get S$500 and an upgrade voucher for their next SQ flight, and a night's stay at a hotel if they get bumped to the following day.

What's the IVD compensation for MH pax like?

Edited by Keith T

July 16, 2007 20:21 PM

Malaysia Airlines Denies Delay Due To Flights Overbooked

SEPANG, July 16 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) today denied news reports that implied "flights overbooked" as the reason causing hundreds of passengers to be stranded and flights to be delayed at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) yesterday.

The national carrier said the teething problems were due its aircraft being grounded in Frankfurt, Germany, and the KLIA on July 9 and 12, affecting its flights schedule.

Commenting on news reports about the "ugly mood" at KLIA yesterday, MAS senior general manager, transition management, Dr Amin Khan, said the situation was due more to "snowballing effect".

"Because of the aircraft being grounded, we have to revise the schedule. For example, the Europe flight due to come in the morning was delayed. That's why passengers bound for Australia have to go into a night flight," he said.

Amin said with the flights not able to depart on time, there was a snowballing effect, causing some passengers to be stranded.

"It is not an issue of overbooking. I think that is a misconception," he said.

According to him, the situation is likely to be rectified by tonight as the airline has mounted its flights to Australia.

-- BERNAMA

Guest Fendy
She said MAS should have called as her sister’s seat was confirmed. "My sister is having her exam (today), if she misses it, how does MAS plan to compensate?"

that teaches her a lesson to fly back one day before your exams

regarding to the first article how com there is one say they are overbook by 50 pax but the aircraft bound for 2 difference place of Australia. One is Perth and one is Malbourne. Since when MH have flight mix up 2 destination togather?

I wonder how the system work since the flight is overbooked by 60? Or could it be the silent strike by MAS employees? I wonder how the management is going to respond to such situation? :mellow:

I wonder how the system work since the flight is overbooked by 60? Or could it be the silent strike by MAS employees? I wonder how the management is going to respond to such situation? :mellow:

I think MH has said that it's not overbooking, more a/c grounding that led to flight cancellations. The -60 could be due to having to reschedule pax on those flights? :pardon: Then again in those situations existing pax should have priority over FIM pax.

Edited by Keith T

wow...

This is MH or MAS???

aka

MALAYSIAN HOSPITALITY or MANA ADA SISTEM???

what la... <_>

Malaysia Airlines Denies Delay Due To Flights Overbooked

So, what's causing these massive delays ??? :o Technical ??? :blink:

Today's Mh-flight to/from AMS delayed > 15 hours :angry:

When it comes to overbooked flights, no one is safe.

Economist Nouriel Roubini tweeted on Thursday that his Nobel Prize-winning colleague, economist Robert Shiller, was bumped off a United Airlines UAL flight from Denver to Aspen, Colo. after he and his wife, Virginia, had already taken their seats on the airplane. Shiller, who teaches at Yale University, Roubini tweeted, was a victim of over-booking.

It’s a risk every traveler takes when flying, and not everyone believes a Nobel Prize winner should be given preferential treatment over another passenger. “Is there a rule which says Nobel winners should get preferential treatment?” one person tweeted.

But Shiller, who was traveling with wife Virginia on their way to a conference in Aspen, did not expect special treatment because he won a Nobel Prize. “Bob would never think because he’s a Nobel Prize winner that he deserves anything better than anyone else,” his wife Virginia, who was also on the flight, told MarketWatch. The Shillers were among those told to leave the plane because, she says, she bought their tickets on a travel website. “Apparently, our fare was the lowest,” she says. “I will never do that again.”

Tiana Fough, 27, was fresh off a vacation in Tucson with her girlfriends when she landed in Phoenix for a connecting flight back to Portland, Ore., earlier this week.

The mother of two toddlers, Fough occasionally works odd jobs here and there, but she mainly stays home to care for her kids. When she buys plane tickets, she often just opts for the cheapest ones. This time, they happened to be with American Airlines.

“I think this is my first time I’ve ever flown American,” Fough told The Washington Post. And then she chuckled — she certainly hadn’t been granted any “beginner’s luck.”

To hear the traveler tell it, the boarding of US Airways/American Airlines Flight 408 began in a manner no different from any other flight. There were lines, some crowding, some disgruntled passengers.

As she waited in the aisle to get to her seat, Fough chatted casually with another passenger in front of her. Then a flight attendant started yelling.

“Stay right there,” he shouted, in Fough’s account. “I asked you three times.”

Bewildered, Fough asked, “What’s going on?”

“You can get off this flight,” the attendant said. “I’ll kick you off of this plane right now.”

Fough recounted that while the attendant was wearing a button-up shirt with the trademark winged pin of flight crews, he had on neither a name tag nor the uniform that the other attendants were wearing.

After refusing to give Fough his name, she said, he dismissed her with a curt, “Go.”

At her seat, a bewildered Fough started sobbing. Other passengers were comforting her when the flight attendant appeared again. He started opening the overhead compartments around her seat. “Where’s your bag?” he said. “You’re getting off this plane. I’m going to kick you off this plane.”

What happened next was captured in a furtive video by Bill Byrne, who was seated directly behind Fough. A female attendant came to support her colleague. “Tiana? Fough? Is that your last name?” she asked. “I need to have you come off the aircraft.”

“Why are you guys so mean to me?” Fough is shown crying. “I didn’t do anything.”

Sign in to follow this