MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Denny Yen

What happened here?!!

Does anyone know what happened here? These photos' EXIF data are dated 10/16/2006. No burnt or fire scorched marks.

282208884699a78990dohd0.jpg

282208880560c23d365ogw1.jpg

282208878eeecbe8e58oxn0.jpg

The EXIF data is dated 11/3/2006. Is this D Duct issue similar to CX in Bangkok?

singapore_airlines_duct.jpg

WOW thats BAD!!! Very bad! :o

I think a catering truck might have bump to the engine! Something must have hit it from the side! Real hard!!!

View from the left side seems o.k., but there appears to be some scorched marks on the cone.

297662024e1ead37662bqj5.jpg

From the right side, if you look carefully there are some leftover jagged metal strips.

297662026b9873892e2bva8.jpg

Hazard a guess on the EK picture.

N1 blade failure / separation.

Edited by Radzi

The engine is a Trent RR, so it should be MH 777. It's this one...

1134244kv7.jpg

This one was dated July 1, 2007. Pic's caption says the nose gear lever was accidentally pushed upward during boarding process...is this true? Shouldn't there be a safety mechanism on the lever to prevent this?

1230411um8.jpg

The EK one....

resulted in a few people being incarcerated...a few resigning...and MANY people wetting themselves at the FCC.

Captain...it wasnt a blade seperation as per what I heard/read....something to do with the exhaust ducting or something to that effect which shifted position.

There is a safety mechanism called a WEIGHT SWITCH. Wonder what happened there..

I believe that safety mechanism can be disabled or unlocked at a press of a button

There is a safety mechanism called a WEIGHT SWITCH. Wonder what happened there..

Well, abit of technical story here...

The weight switch Sanjay was talking about is actually the Air-Ground Sensor. Its a sensor which senses if the aircraft is either on ground or in the air (Ground Mode or Air Mode). Location...somewhere at the main landing gear.

However, this sensor can be disabled so that the aircraft registers Air Mode although its on ground. It can only be done by Engineering & Maintenance Crew.

For safety reasons, there are Safety Pins(the one with REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT flag) inserted on each landing gear strut. Just like a safety pin on a fire extinguisher, it prevents the gear to retract if the Air-Ground Sensor is disabled, and the gear lever is pulled up.

In this picture, I suppose the ground crew was unaware of the safety pin on the nose gear, and maybe maintenance crew disabled the Air-Ground Sensor. And at such a coincedence, the lever was pulled up. BANG!!!

Jerry, nice explanation... so the next time u check these babies at the hangar, dont forget the pins kekeke... and if u do remember those safety pins, if they are extras.. u know what to do ya??? :clapping:

Jerry, nice explanation... so the next time u check these babies at the hangar, dont forget the pins kekeke... and if u do remember those safety pins, if they are extras.. u know what to do ya??? :clapping:

HAHAHA...i knew u wud say that! Shhhh....dont leak out! of coz i know wat to do...

HAHAHA...i knew u wud say that! Shhhh....dont leak out! of coz i know wat to do...

Dn't forget our plan on my arenapod racer kakaka

it was mentioned that the internal reverser cowling got separated from the engine interior parts and basically came out as debris.

That picture was taken in stockholm and it occur after airborne.There is several similiar cases to this as well.

SQ engine photo is in KUL or in PEK? There was a similar incident in IST but that was a left engine. anyway in all cases, its N1 blade seperation. All problems are due to a batch of RR 892 engines. All fixed now. Come fly SQ folks. It's safe..... :rolleyes:

I wonder what is the blade's direction of travel in case of blade separation...does it enter the engine (i.e., ingested) and the broken debris exits the engine or does it punch through engine cowling (centrifugal rotating movement)?

Sign in to follow this