MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Ong

LCCT in PEN?

Found this article in The Star:

Talks for LCCT in Penang

PENANG: The state government is talking with Malaysia Airports Holding Bhd (MAHB) and the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) on land for a Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Bayan Lepas.

“We are holding frequent and serious discussions with AirAsia and negotiating with MAHB and DCA on how to get a big area for the LCCT,” Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon told newsmen after launching the Chinese New Year celebration at Universiti Sains Malaysia yesterday.

He said the state welcomed more AirAsia direct flights linking Penang to China, India and Indonesia, apart from the existing direct flights to Kuching and Kota Kinabalu.

On Wednesday, AirAsia group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said he was optimistic that negotiations on airport charges for the setting up of an AirAsia hub in Penang would conclude in the next six months.

On a separate issue, Dr Koh said he would direct the Drainage and Irrigation Department to prepare an action plan to address the pollution at a waterfall in Kampung Perlis, Bayan Lepas.

He was responding to an article highlighting the villagers’ complaints about pollution caused by a nearby cement factory.

He said the state was short of funds to fully rehabilitate its polluted rivers, including the badly affected Sungai Pinang.

He said the state would request for more funds from the Federal Government for the rehabilitation of Sungai Pinang.

Seriously, has PEN use beyond it's limit? Was up there once, I say the traffic quite a lot from China, South etc. but still there are few gates completely empty. But since they want to go hubbing at PEN, I say why not, the land with villages can be "reclaim" or perhaps floating LCC airport :pardon:

hmmm.. if they build one LCCT in PEN I think the s'wak gov would be wanting to build another one In KCH... lol

With the LCCT, hope that the empty gates will be filled. That would mean traffic should go up one or two fold. LCCT at PEN is hoped to draw more international carriers as well as routes connecting more cities/towns within the nation, i.e. domestics flights. It is commendable that AK is serving PEN - BKI, PEN - KCH now! More connections will definitely be welcomed as I can get to other cities more easily and more affordably - I come from Penang.

So, where is the terminal most likely to be located?

i always have this idea for quite sometime for PEN already...in order for PEN to have a new upgraded terminal with more gates and remote stand...the MAS cargo center have to go and relocate with the Second Cargo Center across the terminal..so it will become a centralise cargo center...but then..if there's budget....about the LCCT? any more empty land there? :blink:

Didn't I mention "first floating LCCT" ;)

Hehehe....

To 'Float' it may need longer taxiway in order to reach the terminal... in which, not so suitable... and it will be too far, i mean TOO FAR from the other terminals/buildings... They may build one next to the second cargo terminal. but considering the access may somewhat 'cut-off' from the main terminal building, 'reclaiming' the MAS cargo terminal is the best option... plus, cargo handling can now be centralise on one side of the runway.. where Customs building is also there.

talking about the Custom building 'standing guard' at the cargo complex entrance, surely all still remember the biggest hiest involving millions of ringgit at Bax Global.... Customs easily fooled... :D ... Makan, tidoq! (eat and sleep!)

Sign in to follow this