MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Guest Fendy

MAS passengers mad at being kicked off overbooked flights

In short,

MAS fleet planning alongside the BTP has been chaotic! They are strapped for aircraft now, and have put themselves in this situation. Furthermore, they are hurting in terms of cargo revenue due to the reduction in available belly space cargo on RPT flights... However, their PLF is low in comparison to other carriers in the region... The holiday season just goes to show that in previous years, the extra capcity required was available in the fleet.. this year is of course the opposite. Too much traffic, not enough capacity.. how will MAS solve this problem I wonder?

MH is not the only airline short of a/c right now. The A380 delay has caused a/c shortage for a lot of its customers, notably SQ and EK. D checks for a lot of SQ's 744s have been delayed as they now need every single long haul plane to be in service.

Edited by Keith T

Oh my :blink: Looks like the situation is not only haunting MH...SQ and EK are also haunted by this problem too

The difference between MH and EK/SQ is that the latter airlines have passenger loads and are facing a capacity crisis due to rapid expansion and delays in the A380 ORDERS.

I still dont understand how aircraft shortage can be blame for this situation? AFAIK all MH 777 is in use. and MH only lease the 747 and some 737. If every flight is overbooked, so the overbooking is the problem not the aircraft shortage. If it's the common practice in full services aviation. It's not the problem at all.

let say a flight is overbooked by 20 people in 777 flight that mean 300 people booked for 280 seats aircraft. Is it wise to deploy the 747 to accomodate the the extra 20 people? meaning using 420 seat aircraft for 300 pax?

Furthermore if pax miss a connection due to delay in the prior flight he get priority in next flight leave the terminal not the next available i think.and the flight he miss will be empty. so the overbooked pax is coming handy in this case. You dont call the original pax in next flight to come to make early flight due to some bloke miss connection.

So assume all flight is fully booked. It mean the next flight become further overbooked maybe 40 instead of 20. So when it comes like this situation, a good airlines will book the passenger on a different airlines, possibly partner airlines to accomodate this people.

In short,

MAS fleet planning alongside the BTP has been chaotic! They are strapped for aircraft now, and have put themselves in this situation. Furthermore, they are hurting in terms of cargo revenue due to the reduction in available belly space cargo on RPT flights... However, their PLF is low in comparison to other carriers in the region... The holiday season just goes to show that in previous years, the extra capcity required was available in the fleet.. this year is of course the opposite. Too much traffic, not enough capacity.. how will MAS solve this problem I wonder?

So isnt it wise to lease aircraft just for the holiday season (2 month) if there a justifiable demand rather than owning aircraft and leave it grounded for next 10 month?

Guest Fendy

MH have leased 777 to pakistan...

but agreed, aircraft shortage have nothing to do with overbooking

to replace one missing aircraft Mas have to get their own aircraft .not by leasing a nother alirliners aircraft or buy a new one because the compenys situation is such.i know that they never replace a 737-400 aircraft to go to LHR.its never logic.737-400 short range la.Passangers of KUL~LHR~KUL Allways full.If MAS sends a 737-400 to LHR it will be a joke to the Airline Industry.

I never expected a rebutal from you. Of course, the 734 is not an economical replacement for the 744 on the KUL-LHR! I was trying to point out to you by using an extreme example that the overbooking incidents, which is a normal industry practice, has nothing to do with MH being short of aircraft or leasing out of its aircraft.

The difference between MH and EK/SQ is that the latter airlines have passenger loads and are facing a capacity crisis due to rapid expansion and delays in the A380 ORDERS.

For SQ the problem is worsened by the sale of a lot of their long haul a/c - deals that were done before the A380 delays were announced. But thankfully 9V-SMT is gone! :drinks: Maybe EK has a similar problem?

Overbooked flights with low yield tickets - no point. It's rather silly. Therefore proper sales management and ticket pricing are essential.

Unless, if overbooked with good yield tickets ; this justifies for larger aircraft. .

If , F/P loads are low, where as C / J / Y / K M /Q tickets are high - than it is time for MH to consider aircraft with high density from the mid cabin to the back.

In this case , maybe to refurbished some of the 744 with just Club and Economy may be practical in the interim. This would therefore justifies for 77W / 380 / 789 as long term fleet replacement.

MH have leased 777 to pakistan...

but agreed, aircraft shortage have nothing to do with overbooking

Out of topic...the T7 MH leases to PIA is Romeo Echo right? Surprisingly 9M-MRE still bears MH livery.. even in VMY2007. as spotted here in MAN. note the date Jan 11, 2007. MH dont fly to MAN in 2007 right? so this must be the PIA leased

Or is it term of contracts....?

Edited by JessnorArif

Out of topic...the T7 MH leases to PIA is Romeo Echo right? Surprisingly 9M-MRE still bears MH livery.. even in VMY2007. as spotted here in MAN. note the date Jan 11, 2007. MH dont fly to MAN in 2007 right? so this must be the PIA leased

This has been copied from the ACARS Netherlands list of 11/01/2007:

750085 9M-MRE B772 PK701 1443-1507

750085 9M-MRE B772 PK702 1848-1908

This would clear up your queries :pardon:

I know it's PK flight... but what surprise me.... the livery....I thought it will be in PK colour...never thought it is still in MH colour even with VMY2007

Guest Fendy

maybe the period of lease doesnt warrant a repaint... save $$$$$$$$

MRE was just refurbished anyway and wears a brand new coat of paint.