MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Could JetBlue Survives In Southeast Asia ?

Guys, do you think if a low cost carrier like the JetBlue Airways (based at JFK) will be able to survive in Southeast Asia ?

JetBlue Airways is the world's FIRST to offer DirectTV (similiar to Astro or MiTV in Malaysia) in their entire planes. They only have 1 class & is operating 320 only, still have 100 ERJ-190 on order. JetBlue Airways' 320 are all configured with ONLY 156 SEATS, about half of them have 34-inch of pitch & the rest 32-inch of pitch. Would be cool to have such LCC in Southeast Asia, huh ? But the question is, would they be able to survive ?

Sure, why not; it all depends on their fare-structure(s) and service(s) rendered; one of their strong points was "single aircraft type" a la Southwest and excellent service !!!

But how much will it cost for us to fly in it on short haul routes?

6728[/snapback]

For B6, they do fly their 320 (& E90 soon) fitted with DirectTV in every seats on short haul sectors. Will be great if we have one such carrier here tongue.gif

Heck, we don't get directTV (Astro, MiTV in the local context) on our 'full-frills, full fare (snigger!) flights here. Come to think of it, there is no IFE whatsoever on domestic runs !

Who knows, Mr TF may just spring a surprise on us when the new A320's arrive. Somehow I have this belief that AK is more likely to bring on innovations rather than MH. If you think about it, those LCD screens can be one heck of a revenue generator, churning out mind-numbing adverts to us stuck in our seats for duration of flight. Scary isn't it !!

Heck, we don't get directTV (Astro, MiTV in the local context) on our 'full-frills, full fare (snigger!) flights here.  Come to think of it, there is no IFE whatsoever on domestic runs !

Yeah. The BIG SIX don't have it either (an IFE as such), B6 has it though smile.gif

Who knows, Mr TF may just spring a surprise on us when the new A320's arrive.  Somehow I have this belief that AK is more likely to bring on innovations rather than MH. 

7354[/snapback]

I still think there will be nothing but only seats & overpriced foods & is very likely to squeeze as much as 174-180 seats in their 320 in order to remain competitive.

Edited by Gavin Andrew David

The cost structure is important. People in the US do not mind paying for a direct point-to-point flight for $200 roundtrip, esp on leisure routes to MIA, MCO, etc.

But in Malaysia, with quite a tiny population, how many would fly direct to PEN/LKW for RM200? I don't think Jetblue can offer lower prices than AirAsia esp with such full-service stuff being offerred.

The cost structure is important. People in the US do not mind paying for a direct point-to-point flight for $200 roundtrip, esp on leisure routes to MIA, MCO, etc.

But in Malaysia, with quite a tiny population, how many would fly direct to PEN/LKW for RM200? I don't think Jetblue can offer lower prices than AirAsia esp with such full-service stuff being offerred.

8185[/snapback]

Perhaps it's not so suitable for flight less than 1 hour but as this is Malaysia, everything is so much cheaper, it's $200 over there, in Malaysia it could be only $100 or less.

Sure a carrier like B6 can't offer lower prices compared to AK, but i think they can survive in Malaysia, their market is LIMITED to the flights between Peninsula & East Malaysia only (longer flight hours), considering many people still fly with MAS mainly between KUL/BKI & KUL/KCH.

JetBlue operates bigger planes as compared to AK.

8290[/snapback]

AK will have the same plane soon (320) smile.gif

Sign in to follow this