MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sandeep G

Malaysian Airport/Airline Operational Statistics

MAHB Operational Traffic & Statistics!

Will soon be made available here for every month as soon as the stats become available!

WATCH THIS SPACE!

Edited by Sandeep G

MAHB Operational and Traffic Statistics for AUGUST 2006

The following traffic highlights were reported by MAHB to the KLSE for the above mentioned period:

IPB Image

Source: MAHB

Malaysia Airlines Monthly Operating Statistices: SEPTEMBER 2006

IPB Image

Source: MAS

AirAsia Operating Statistics: AUGUST 2006

PAX Data:

AirAsia Malaysia:

FY2007 - 700,234

FY2006 - 388,518

% Change - +80.2%

AirAsia Thailand

FY2007 - 263,827

FY2006 - 155,813

% Change - +69.3%

AirAsia Indonesia

FY2007 - 166,408

FY2006 - 47,225

% Change - +252%

AirAsia GROUP

FY2007 - 1,130,469

FY2006 - 591,556

% Change - +91.1%

Source: AirAsia

Hey Sandeep,

Thanks for all the stats and info..

Suprised to see that the Aircraft Movement for Domestic has dropped alot..Guessing this is due to the route thingy agreement..Nevertheless good to see Cargo Movement Soaring High..

Interesting to note;

AK Aug 06 carried 388,518 pax

MH Sep 06 carried 455,000 pax

----------

Total 843,518

Assuming MH Aug and Sep figure is similar.

KUL Aug 06 domestic pax movement is 774,302. Does it means about 90% of domestic pax pass through KUL?

What is the definition of MAB’s ‘Passenger Movement’? Guess it is the sum of outbound and inbound including transit pax i.e. double counting? Else MAB would have built the 2nd satellite terminal by 2005.

Interesting to note;

AK Aug 06 carried 388,518 pax

MH Sep 06 carried 455,000 pax

----------

Total 843,518

Assuming MH Aug and Sep figure is similar.

KUL Aug 06 domestic pax movement is 774,302. Does it means about 90% of domestic pax pass through KUL?

What is the definition of MAB’s ‘Passenger Movement’? Guess it is the sum of outbound and inbound including transit pax i.e. double counting? Else MAB would have built the 2nd satellite terminal by 2005.

The AK Figures you have quoted is FY2006 and not FY2007, which would be the figure comparable to the present year of 2006.

Therefore 700,234 pax were carried by AirAsia Malaysia.. and remember that the figure is not only domestic, but international passengers aswell.. Unfortunately, the data I've come across so far does not seperate international from domestic pax numbers as done by MAS.

The AK Figures you have quoted is FY2006 and not FY2007, which would be the figure comparable to the present year of 2006.

Therefore 700,234 pax were carried by AirAsia Malaysia.. and remember that the figure is not only domestic, but international passengers aswell.. Unfortunately, the data I've come across so far does not seperate international from domestic pax numbers as done by MAS.

I though all figures are Aug/Sep 2006?

If we remove international pax from AK figure. KUL will handle more domestic pax than AK and MH combined, and all domestic passed through KUL. Or is there another domestic airline operating from KUL that we don’t know?

Sandeep, I'm lost...

Both figures KK Lee quoted are of 2006 - why bring up the 2007 data? Plus, the 2007 data is a forecasted number, isn't it?

Or is AK doing some weird maths we couldn't understand? :blink: :help:

Keeping in line with ‘Malaysia Boleh’ spirit e.g. tourists arrival in Malaysia is double of Singapore, more tourists visited Langkawi than Phuket, etc. Instead of AK, it is more likely that MAB’s figure is creative and misleading. Malaysian Government statistics is not unlike Soviet Union, very rosy but in reality is totally out of place or worth the paper that is written on.

A airport built for 25 millions ppa supposed to handle 25 millions arrival and 25 millions departure respectively. If MAB’s pax movement is the sum of pax arrival and departure, is double counting.

If we observed the aerobridge usage, number of people in the airport and compared with the facility available. It is hard to believe KUL is handling even close to 70% of its design capacity (25 millions ppa).

Lie, lie and statistics.

:drinks:

Sandeep, I'm lost...

Both figures KK Lee quoted are of 2006 - why bring up the 2007 data? Plus, the 2007 data is a forecasted number, isn't it?

The confusion is because of AK's "Financial Year" which is July 1st - June 30th.

So FY2006 is 01-Jul-05 --> 30-Jun-06

Similarily, FY2007 is 01-Jul-06 --> 30-Jun-07

:) So the numbers are not forecasts, but actual numbers :)

IMHO, the figures aren't lies or in any way tweaked with.. the IATA and ICAO standards (and other transport organsiations) are adhered to by AirAsia, MAS and MAHB.

Edited by Sandeep G

IMHO, the figures aren't lies or in any way tweaked with.. the IATA and ICAO standards (and other transport organsiations) are adhered to by AirAsia, MAS and MAHB.

If we remove AK international pax and assumed both MH and AK figure is correct. Domestic pax movement at KUL will be more than MH and AK combined?!

On the other hand, MAB claimed to have handled about 2.0 millions domestic pax nationwide in August 06. But the total AK (both international and domestic) and MH domestic pax is about 850,000 for similar period. Look like double counting by MAB is an understatement?

May be there is another domestic airline operating in the country that we don’t know of ferrying all those phantom voters in the electoral registry around.

I stand to be corrected.

If we remove AK international pax and assumed both MH and AK figure is correct. Domestic pax movement at KUL will be more than MH and AK combined?!

On the other hand, MAB claimed to have handled about 2.0 millions domestic pax nationwide in August 06. But the total AK (both international and domestic) and MH domestic pax is about 850,000 for similar period. Look like double counting by MAB is an understatement?

May be there is another domestic airline operating in the country that we don’t know of ferrying all those phantom voters in the electoral registry around.

I stand to be corrected.

How are you removing AK international pax when we don't know that number??? Too many side assumptions I think KK.. hehehe even now I am a bot confused.. but the figures for MAS are September and for AirAsia and MAHB are August... I don't think it is safe to assume the numbers in August and September are the same... Don't forget, the September figure (and even the August figure) is usually quite high due to the Merdeka holiday.. FYI, MAS carried 523,000 domestic pax in August. So.. the 774,302 announced by MAHB travelling through KLIA is understood. Remember, not ALL of MAS' domestic pax are travelling through KUL, neither AirAsia's...

I think maybe you are getting confused by the MAHB numbers because YES, there IS "double counting" but not in the way you are saying.. They are counting the number of people flying through their airports. So if someone flies from KUL to LGK, then he is counted as 1 in KUL and again 1 in LGK!! even though he is the same passenger, but a different airport.. so yes, for domestic numbers you will see a "double figure".. But for MAS or AirAsia, they only count the passenger ONCE because it was ONE journey, but TWO airports! :D

Now MAS flew 523,000 in August, and let's assume AirAsia flew 450,000 domestic pax - that's ~973,000 (this is an estimate only because we don't know how many domestic pax AirAsia flew in reality). Add in a couple of thousand passengers for FAX and the rural air services, Hornbill Skyways, Malaysia Helicopter Services, Berjaya etc etc etc. You've probably got a little over a million.. Then you HAVE to multply by 2, because remember, 1 Journey for the airline, but 2 counts per pax for domestic travel!! there's your 2 million.

Please remember also, that the MAHB statement excludes Senai airport.

Hope that clears it up.

Edited by Sandeep G

you can't exclude LCCT from KUL traffic. when KUL was built - there were no plans for a separate LCCT. now that we've got one - its still the same airport with the same air traffic control, taxiways and runways.

if you want to do that - than take SIN's LCCT away from their calculations too..

don't confuse things further! :)

Does it mean KUL (excluding LCCT) is operating at less than 60% of it design capacity?

Based on recent reports, the LCCT is close to handling 6 mil pax. And if we assume the entire KUL has handled 24 mil pax this year, that leaves us with 18 mil pax in the main and satellite terminals...which basic mathematical calculations show 75 %. So I'm really not sure where you picked this 60 % from.

And for the record KK, try not to be so negative about everything to do with Malaysia. Sounds like you're against every good reports/ comments coming out from here. <_<

Based on recent reports, the LCCT is close to handling 6 mil pax. And if we assume the entire KUL has handled 24 mil pax this year, that leaves us with 18 mil pax in the main and satellite terminals...which basic mathematical calculations show 75 %. So I'm really not sure where you picked this 60 % from.

And for the record KK, try not to be so negative about everything to do with Malaysia. Sounds like you're against every good reports/ comments coming out from here. <_>

That 75% of capacity at the Main Terminal is correct Daniel. This is why the money should not be spent now on an additional Satellite terminal, but instead to "beef" up the existing terminal infrastructure.

Daniel, don't worry about negative comments - most of the time it's good to always balance the positive and negative views to get a bigger picture of the situation. Also KK Lee, I hope your query is cleared up now.

Remember everyone, we are all here to learn & appreciate, and occasionally vent our frustrations - BUT at situations and not each other! :)

More stats to follow when they are available!

Cheers

- Sandeep

And for the record KK, try not to be so negative about everything to do with Malaysia. Sounds like you're against every good reports/ comments coming out from here. <_>

When a airport is design for 25 millions pax pa means to handle 25 million arrival and 25 million departure respectively? Since MAB number (18 millions) is the sum of both arrival and departure. Either way, 9/25 or 25/50 = 36% of designed capacity?!

If KUL is operating at 75% of its capacity, KUL should be short of aerobridge during peak hours.

‘The world is flat’, we have to keep improving ourselves, can’t be complacent or ignorant to the outside world. Without changing our altitude, it is not at all surprise to see Malaysia is lagging behind other countries, and the gap between our country and competitors is getting wider.

When a airport is design for 25 millions pax pa means to handle 25 million arrival and 25 million departure respectively? Since MAB number (18 millions) is the sum of both arrival and departure. Either way, 9/25 or 25/50 = 36% of designed capacity?!

If KUL is operating at 75% of its capacity, KUL should be short of aerobridge during peak hours.

‘The world is flat’, we have to keep improving ourselves, can’t be complacent or ignorant to the outside world. Without changing our altitude, it is not at all surprise to see Malaysia is lagging behind other countries, and the gap between our country and competitors is getting wider.

Sir, I'm pretty sure 25 million pax of capacity is ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE passengers, not 25 million for arrivals and 25 million for departures - that is as you have indicated above a total airport capacity of 50 million.

Do you have a source that would support your argument that I could perhaps look at?

I agree with your last statement, but I must add that saying what you've said is one thing.. It's important to step up to the plate and ACTUALLY do something about it.. my 2 sen.

Oh yeah sorry, I forgot saying that the capcity also includes TRANSIT pax.

In terms of availability of Aerobridges, one of the major users of the airport (AXM) doesn't use Aerobridges... The 18 million pax through the MTB is why during peak times you see lots of available aerobridges.. but in the mornings and evenings, KUL aerobridges are indeeed quite full.

Edited by Sandeep G

From the following, HKG was built for 45 millions pax p.a.

http://www.azworldairports.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_International_Airport

HKIA statistics claimed to have handled 43 millions pax movement in the 12 months to August 06.

If HKG’s 45 millions design capacity is arrival, departure and transit combined mean HKG is operating at near capacity? But it is only operating at just over half of its design capacity.

From the following, HKG was built for 45 millions pax p.a.

http://www.azworldairports.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_International_Airport

HKIA statistics claimed to have handled 43 millions pax movement in the 12 months to August 06.

If HKG’s 45 millions design capacity is arrival, departure and transit combined mean HKG is operating at near capacity? But it is only operating at just over half of its design capacity.

Thanks for that.

yeah, you are right, HKIA is operating at near present capacity volumes, but they have an ULTIMATE design capacity for 87 million I think. Remeber, KLIA's ULTIMATE design capacity is 100 million. So at the moment, HKIAs present infrastructure permits 45 million passengers p.a. which they are rapidly appraching and why HKIA is embarking on the following expansion drive: click here

Hope that answers your question.

All I'm saying is that don't start a anything on a negative note. I've seen many of your comments...not too encouraging in my opinion.

Give some credits; won't do much harm to you. ;)

It's just a forum anyway.

According to;

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aboutus/pdf/MP2020.pdf

HKIA’s ultimate capacity of 87 millions required upgrading of existing PTB and second ‘X’ terminal. Expansion to cope with 87 millions is likely to be needed in 10 years time. Current HKIA’s passenger capacity is 45 millions p.a.

KLIA 100 millions ultimate capacity will need 4 satellite terminals and 2 MTB.

Find most Malaysians too complacent and ignorant of development outside the country. We need to drive ourselves to the next level, to be better than our competitors. Self-congratulating, contented will bring us to no where.

There are many successful and proven business models but we prefer to have it ‘our way’. Hence, productivity and efficiency in the country is falling year by year. 30 years ago, we were better off than Taiwan; 20 years ago, we were better off than Thailand; 10 years ago we were better off than China; 5 years ago, we were better off than India. And now we are comparing ourselves with Zimbabwe. :( :sorry:

According to;

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aboutus/pdf/MP2020.pdf

HKIA’s ultimate capacity of 87 millions required upgrading of existing PTB and second ‘X’ terminal. Expansion to cope with 87 millions is likely to be needed in 10 years time. Current HKIA’s passenger capacity is 45 millions p.a.

KLIA 100 millions ultimate capacity will need 4 satellite terminals and 2 MTB.

Find most Malaysians too complacent and ignorant of development outside the country. We need to drive ourselves to the next level, to be better than our competitors. Self-congratulating, contented will bring us to no where.

There are many successful and proven business models but we prefer to have it ‘our way’. Hence, productivity and efficiency in the country is falling year by year. 30 years ago, we were better off than Taiwan; 20 years ago, we were better off than Thailand; 10 years ago we were better off than China; 5 years ago, we were better off than India. And now we are comparing ourselves with Zimbabwe. :( :sorry:

So are you doing anything on your part to change any of these?

If you're not, then no point complaining too much here... :pardon:

Sign in to follow this