MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sherman

Up to 100 feared dead in Nigeria crash

Yahoo News

:(

A Nigerian passenger aircraft carrying more than 100 people on board has crashed.

The plane came down shortly after takeoff from the capital Abuja, media and emergency sources said.

The plane, operated by the Nigerian airline ADC, burst into flames and casualties were expected, a security source said.

It was en route from the capital to the northern city of Sokoto.

It is the third major air crash in Nigeria in just over one year.

R.I.P.

Burst into flames??

:(

another source, BBC Online News

just now when my sis switch to channel 31 at Astro, i saw a small title of the crash... in the TV news mentioned the aircraft crashed is 737. but not mentoned in the news i linked. :(

According to ADC website (http://www.adcairlines.com/profiles.htm), they have 4 B732 in their fleet. Thus the B737 mentioned in the news must be B732.

Does the crash involved a 737's vertical stabilizer <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_huh.png" alt=":huh:"> ?

Just wondering because the early 737s (-100, -200, -300) has the Vertical Stabilizer problem :mellow: :o .

The Sultan of Sokoto also perished in this crash :o

That they all may R.I.P.

October 29, 2006

The leader of Nigeria's Muslims was one of about 100 people killed on Sunday when a domestic airliner crashed in bad weather shortly after takeoff from the Nigerian capital of Abuja, authorities said.

An ADC Airlines official said 105 people were on board the Boeing 737 flight to the northern city of Sokoto when it ploughed into a corn field about 2 km from the runway. No more than five people survived the crash.

Burned bodies, some missing limbs or heads, were being loaded onto trucks amid the smouldering remains of the fuselage.

"The plane crash... led to the death of our beloved Sultan... among about 100 people," the governor of Sokoto state, Attahiru Bafarawa, told reporters.

Bafarawa declared six days of mourning for Ibrahim Muhammadu Maccido, who led an estimated 70 million Muslims in Africa's most populous country.

Maccido, who as Sultan of Sokoto was also the senior traditional ruler of northern Nigeria, helped to curb religious bloodshed in the central state of Plateau in 2004.

Only the plane's tail, an engine and part of a wing were still recognisable at the crash site, an area the size of a football field littered with body parts, smouldering fires, clothes, boxes and bags.

"The smell is something you don't want to remember," said Steve Noble, a British diplomat at the scene.

Five possible survivors were rushed to a hospital in Abuja. Two were in critical condition, an ambulance driver said.

The governor of Abuja, Nasir el-Rufai, said there was bad weather at the time of the crash, but added that only a detailed investigation could determine the cause. The operator, ADC, is a popular domestic airline with an ageing fleet of Boeing jets.

The office of President Olusegun Obasanjo issued a statement calling for a full investigation.

It was the fourth significant air crash in Nigeria in just over a year.

In October last year, 119 people died when a Bellview Airlines Boeing 737 crashed shortly after takeoff from Lagos.

Last December a Sosoliso Airlines DC9 crashed on landing in Port Harcourt, killing 106 people.

And in September, 12 Nigerian military personnel, mostly high-ranking officers, were killed in a plane crash in Benue state.

The latest tragedy comes a month before the aviation industry is due to undergo an audit. After last year's crashes, Obasanjo ordered airlines and aviation authorities to improve safety standards.

Abuja Airport remained open, with flights arriving and leaving as usual.

(Reuters)

My dad has doubt the Nigerian Air safety since his first visit there.............he's going there in about a week with BA from LHR will avoid domestic flights by driving to Port Heacurt(I guess I spell i right) RIP to those. Some sort of organization needs to revise the whole Nigerian aviation ;)

Edited by Seth K

RIP to all those lost souls.

How is Virgin-Nigeria performing?? I would imagine they would be reasonably safe to take domestically around Nigeria?

:huh: yikes... very gruesome shots there........ :shok: :blink: Edited by Sandeep G

heard the news that 6 people survive :huh:

sad times for them all there...they need to do make a difference to their air safety....otherwise this is going to be a common thing in nigeria

Yupp, we can suggest, but the government never care apparently. The main airport is worst than Terengganu airport. Lack of maintainence and so on. Flights delay, even foreign company's who own helicopters/aircrafts to transport workers has their very own team that manage the them. This won't be happening if the government not corrupted...............well, what can you do really :(

My dad has doubt the Nigerian Air safety since his first visit there.............he's going there in about a week with BA from LHR will avoid domestic flights by driving to Port Heacurt(I guess I spell i right)

It's Port Harcourt ;)

BTW, is ADC one of those so-called African "Insha Allah" airlines?

Does not compute..

Does not compute..

A simple Google search on Insha Allah Airlines will turn up a few sites that will clearly explain what that particular phrase means. May you be able to compute again.

Edited by H Azmal

Sign in to follow this