MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Chan

What do u think about the 787 as compared to the A350

Hi guys, I would juz want to gather ur opinions about this two planes. I know there are supporters for both planes . :D My personal preference would be the 787. Really like the fact that the fuselage is a composite body made in a single piece and best of all the HUD panel. Plus the design is juz so sleek, some people think that the nose id kinda short and compressed but i think the aircraft is juz so BEAUTIFUL on the whole. Despite so i think the original design was nicer, Boeing made changes to it especially the tail to improve overall dynamic efficience. 787 has got a bleedless engine, I can juz continue. lol. I think the A350 is a great aircraft but my preference lies with the 787. Since both planes are still rather new, my opinions might juz change. :p

787 is like a whole new aircraft. the A350 is like a modified of A330.

Watch this --> Boeing 7E7 commercial

it's funny, but it's true

Boeing 787 is the best aircraft ever :yahoo: :) :D !!!! I think that the 787 will be a very successful aircraft better than A350 :mellow:

Remember:

If it ain't Boeing, it ain't going

the A350 is like a modified of A330.

I agree; There is no difference between the A350 and the A330

Wow... another Airbus bashing thread. ;)

siasparky, you've asking this question on a forum full of Boeing fan boys, what do you expect?

Personally the latest incarnation of the 787 looks UGLY in my opinion. The more the A350 looks like the A330 the better, because the A330 is such a sweet looking bird! That's only the looks department by the way... nothing more.

Wow... another Airbus bashing thread. ;)

siasparky, you've asking this question on a forum full of Boeing fan boys, what do you expect?

Personally the latest incarnation of the 787 looks UGLY in my opinion. The more the A350 looks like the A330 the better, because the A330 is such a sweet looking bird! That's only the looks department by the way... nothing more.

Sorry, no offense to A350 fans out there if i cause any misunderstanding. :( I like the A350 too. Let me reiterate my point again, i do not feel the A350 is inferior, but rather I prefer the features that B787 offers. Your opinions, TW Teo are taken and I honour them. Sorry boeing fans out there, but I do not meant it to be an Airbus bashing thread but one where people from both camps are able to evaluate both aircraft honestly and share their views. It is also a thread where we will be able to learn from both sides of the view. Cheers :lol:

I agree; There is no difference between the A350 and the A330

That's a good point. Didn't Airbus make A350 an XWB? But the specs didn't change - or maybe they didn't care to update their website... <_>

IPB Image

Notice that the A350 takes the same number of pax (close enough) over a further distance - so it's better than the A330 in a sense...right...? Which means Airbus will be killing its own A330 production with the new A350. Who would order it?? :blink:

B787 Dreamliner is a beautiful bird :)

haven't seen enough of the A350XWB to make a final judgement though.

hai sehh, :D why we want to bash Airbus... they already so bashed la weii... no need for us to kick them while their down.. :D But still, Airbus have made some pretty good aircraft - notably the A320 and the A330X :)

Tony,

Airbus hoping the A330 MRTT wins the lucrative USAF contract and other EU airforce contracts ahead of Boeings 767 :D but that's just a side note.

Thanks for those comparitive figures Tony, the A350 typical operating empty weight is looowww!!! - PLASTIC FANTASTIC :yahoo:

Edited by Sandeep G

Something just came thru my mind...

I've read articles about the difficulty of detecting cracks in composite materials. It sounds familiar, like how they criticised the Nippon 3-in-1 paint. :pardon:

Just wonder how this would affect engineering and safety...?

The original A350 looked exactly the same as the A330. The A350XWB looks the same as the B787, the nose, the wing and many more :rolleyes:

Edited by Isaac

Something just came thru my mind...

I've read articles about the difficulty of detecting cracks in composite materials. It sounds familiar, like how they criticised the Nippon 3-in-1 paint. :pardon:

Just wonder how this would affect engineering and safety...?

difficult to visually detect internal damage and cracking on composite materials.. this is a problem with composite airframes throughout.. repairing is also more difficult (and potentially more costly).. hence why manufacturers are using reliable and easy to maintain Al-alloy material around damage prone areas like cargo doors, etc (imagine ground equipment running into aircraft at airports).

This would be an interesting technical discussion :D

This would be an interesting technical discussion :D

Indeed it is. Some engineers, I heard, are very against the idea of composites. :rolleyes:

Airbus considering further revisions, delays to A350 <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:">

Wednesday October 25, 2006

Airbus is moving toward another radical rethink of its A350 XWB that may include a composite fuselage that will combat the 787 and leapfrog the 777-200ER.

According to Airbus insiders, the latest revision will push the A350's entry into service to at least 2014.

The manufacturer unveiled a radical upgrade of its A350 offering at the Farnborough Airshow (ATWOnline, July 18) with a cabin 12 in. wider than the A330 cabin cross-section and an all-new carbon fiber wing capable of Mach 0.85 cruise. However, key customer ILFC flagged caution. Chairman Steven Udvar-Hazy told ATWOnline that Airbus has "pretty much done what we had asked but we haven't seen guarantees or pricing."

At the time, Udvar-Hazy also questioned whether the plane-builder would be able to take on both the 787 and 777 with a single platform. And he warned that "there are challenges for [just] one engine and one wing and there are still [engine] issues for the A350-1000 as airlines want two engine choices."

Early this month, then-CEO Christian Streiff admitted that Airbus was a decade behind Boeing (ATWOnline, Oct. 6), while parent EADS co-CEO Tom Enders conceded that the feasibility of the A350 XWB program was in doubt. EADS co-Chairman Louis Gallois backed the program on Oct. 11, a day after he replaced Streiff, saying on Europe 1 radio, "I believe that Airbus has to be present across the whole market, and the A350 is the middle of the market." He added that the midsize category accounts for "40% of the market" by value.

Insiders say the company will use the upheaval surrounding its massive Power8 restructuring plans--aimed at rectifying design and production inefficiences that have bedeviled the A380--to relaunch the A350 XWB with a composite fuselage after key customers told the manufacturer it "still [has] not done enough" to combat the 787. It had been looking at a larger XWB to better match the 777-300ER but that initiative, as alluded to by Udvar-Hazy, was taking the weight of the aircraft too far away from the 787-8.

by Geoffrey Thomas

The original A350 looked exactly the same as the A330. The A350XWB looks the same as the B787, the nose, the wing and many more :rolleyes:

And all planes have wings. :rolleyes: Aerodynamics determines the shape of things, and things are bound to look alike. Proportionally, the 787 just don't look right to me. But that's just my personal opinion and you're free to disagree.

Notice that the A350 takes the same number of pax (close enough) over a further distance - so it's better than the A330 in a sense...right...? Which means Airbus will be killing its own A330 production with the new A350. Who would order it?? :blink:

Tony, the comparison that you've posted is for the original A350, not the XWB. The reason the specs are not published yet is because the A350XWB is not officially launched yet and target specs is not finalised. Number of pax will be closer to the 772.

For Airbus, killing the A330 or letting Boeing dominate... hm... tough choice ;)

My opinion : 787 is all new design :)

So is the A350 XWB :)

And all planes have wings. :rolleyes: Aerodynamics determines the shape of things, and things are bound to look alike. Proportionally, the 787 just don't look right to me. But that's just my personal opinion and you're free to disagree.

Sure sure.

But when the real aircraft comes out, how the airlines buying the A350XWB will configure the Y section of that aircraft is still remain a mystery to many. I mean whether it's gonna be the Airbus proposed 2-4-2 setup or 3-3-3.

FUSELAGE DIAMETERS OF TWIN ENGINE WIDEBODIES

- A350 (original) same as A330/A340

222 inches

5.64 m

- B787

226 inches

5.74 m

- A350XWB

233 inches

5.92 m

- B777

244 inches

6.19 m

The fuselage diameter of the A350XWB is only 4 inches narrower than the MD11 !!!! I can see many airlines squeezing 9 seats per row into the A350XWB.

IPB Image

That's a good point. Didn't Airbus make A350 an XWB? But the specs didn't change - or maybe they didn't care to update their website... <_>

IPB Image

So if you see an A330, then you'll know how the A350 will look like :mellow:

At present, 787 is more advanced than A350. However, as A350 XWB is yet to finalize its design, A350 XWB may leapfrog 787 in due course. Normally, a late comer will incorporate more new technology and has less learning curve but at the penalty of losing market shares initially.

What customers like ILFC are asking for is lighter zero fuel weight A350 XWB; i.e. replacing more aluminium alloy with lighter composites in area less prong to damage by ground equipments.

Composite is already widely use inside fuselage e.g. pax floor, partition wall, etc.

Fuselage is only a tube. Number of seats across EY section is determine by airline. If A350 XWB is fitted 2-4-2, then the EY seats will be the widest in its class. But if is fitted with 3-3-3 or 2-5-2, then many over weight pax won’t feel comfortable traveling in it.

MH A333 is less equipped than B772. Hence, many pax feel A333 is an inferior aircraft than B772. However, for those who have traveled on A345 will find it is more pleasant than B772 especially the toilet. ;)

:drinks:

Sign in to follow this