MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azuddin

Boeing 777 Folding wings feature,

757 is outta production and well, it was a superb airliner of yesteryear.

757 with winglets, looks sexy!

757 always gives the impression of a sexy slim long legged female..

*Back to topic

The folding wings feature is an option for airlines but it costs a fortune and with airlines nowadays with cost-cutting policy, of course they dont see this is as necessary...

Not forgetting the maintenance cost...

Money do the talking in this world....

*Back to topic

The folding wings feature is an option for airlines but it costs a fortune and with airlines nowadays with cost-cutting policy, of course they dont see this is as necessary...

Not forgetting the maintenance cost...

Money do the talking in this world....

ahead of money though, it is an un-necessary feature.. yeah there would be additional maintenance, but it really boiled down to marketing the plane to fit in existing airports.

The folding wing was a feature from the development days of the 777. It was never implemented because of the cost to benefit ratio is not attractive enough, plus maybe some technical difficulties. As of today the folding wing is still in the realm of the crowded space of aircraft carriers. As for passanger jets, I think buying extra land for parking is a cheaper option.

The folding wing was a feature from the development days of the 777. It was never implemented because of the cost to benefit ratio is not attractive enough, plus maybe some technical difficulties. As of today the folding wing is still in the realm of the crowded space of aircraft carriers. As for passanger jets, I think buying extra land for parking is a cheaper option.

You've hit the hammer on the nail, Captain! :good:

Edited by Sandeep G

It was originally concieved by Boeing for 777 operations into airports built about the dimensions of the DC-10.

Sandeep, so whats you pet name for the 757? Something strarting with "J" comes to mind :p

It was originally concieved by Boeing for 777 operations into airports built about the dimensions of the DC-10.

Sandeep, so whats you pet name for the 757? Something strarting with "J" comes to mind :p

HAHAHA! no no no that's just too weird! I think the 757 would have to be a "Liz" as in of the Hurley kind :)

the T7 would have to have some sorta American beefy name like Tyrone or Tyrese! hahaha

the T7 would have to have some sorta American beefy name like Tyrone or Tyrese! hahaha

How bout MR. T :lol: :lol:

IPB Image

:good:

How bout MR. T :lol: :lol:

IPB Image

:good:

HAHAHA even better mate! That's a good one!

"I ain't gettin' on no AIRBUS!" :D :drinks:

Edited by Sandeep G

LMAO...the weight of his gold chains would require at least another few hundred kilos of fuel methinks.... :rofl:

LMAO...the weight of his gold chains would require at least another few hundred kilos of fuel methinks.... :rofl:

nah, boeing would redefine MTOW - Mr. T Operational Weight! :clapping:

HAHAHA even better mate! That's a good one!

"I ain't gettin' on no AIRBUS!" :D :drinks:

throw a "Fool" in it, that's one of his trademark

:rofl:

"I ain't gettin' on no AIRBUS Fool!"

throw a "Fool" in it, that's one of his trademark

:rofl:

"I ain't gettin' on no AIRBUS Fool!"

hahaha wilco! that's good! - I think that should be the sub-title for any future A vs. B debate :)

hahaha wilco! that's good! - I think that should be the sub-title for any future A vs. B debate :)

agree :good: :good:

Back to the main topic,

I've seen inside 777 'see through' view kind of thing, there is wing-fold actuator at the tip of the wing..

hhmm, not soo difficult mechanism nor too complex..

Pics I found on net....looks like wingleted T7

IPB Image

hmmm... looks like a MelJet 777.

Idham, I believe they had the design all worked out, but nobody ever wanted it.. so that's why there are no woking examples.. maybe if Boeing decided to use the 777 for the Tanker Refueler model for the USAF, then we might see this feature incoporated on those aircraft... benefits the Military more.. plus they are used to working on such structures.. but atm its a 767 v A330, so we can only dream :)

Sign in to follow this