MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
TK

Republic of Singapore Air Force

Nice shots Raymond.

The dude that you took the photo in the C-130 is the loadmaster. And fighter jets carry cannon, in the case of F-16s the Vulcan cannon. Machine gun no use lah.

I see many remove before flight tags in the pictures..I wish I could grab one of those tags :)

Correction, it the Gatling gun.

...... in the case of F-16s the Vulcan cannon.

You can get cheap "Remove before flight" tags from Bangkok - 3 for 100 THB. Prices before the coup. :p

I see many remove before flight tags in the pictures..I wish I could grab one of those tags :)

Correction, it the Gatling gun.

You can get cheap "Remove before flight" tags from Bangkok - 3 for 100 THB. Prices before the coup. :p

"Gatling" is correct terminology, because it refers to the continuous "tearing" sound (impossible to hear each individual round) when it is fired. The F-16 canon is M61 A1 Vulcan (aka gatling gun), which fires at 6,000 rounds per second. This is the set-up.

IPB Image

Muzzle velocity is at 1,036m per second (3,400ft per sec). The canon is versatile, depending on the mission specs, it uses several types of round. For e.g., armor piercing, tracers, timed exploding rounds, incendiary, etc.

IPB Image

"Gatling" is correct terminology, because it refers to the continuous "tearing" sound (impossible to hear each individual round) when it is fired. The F-16 canon is M61 A1 Vulcan (aka gatling gun), which fires at 6,000 rounds per second. This is the set-up.

IPB Image

Muzzle velocity is at 1,036m per second (3,400ft per sec). The canon is versatile, depending on the mission specs, it uses several types of round. For e.g., armor piercing, tracers, timed exploding rounds, incendiary, etc.

IPB Image

Marvelous Denny. Where did you get all this information? 6000 rounds/second. That is quick. Do you have any idea, for a typical mission, how many rounds of bullets do they load?

I think its more logical to say 6000 rounds per minute, per sec is like no camera shutter could capture 1 bullet in a frame, hehe :lol: typo error i assume :D

Correction, it should be 6,000rpm or 100rps. There is no typo in the muzzle velocity.

A single multi-barrel canon saves weight compared to 2 canons. Furthermore, a high rate of fire can help ensure as much rounds can hit a fast-travelling target.

Designers calculated that at 100rps meant that each shell is spaced by 0.01 sec. A fighter such as a MiG-29 (17.20m length) at 90deg angle flying at 1,000 km/h travels 2.78m in 0.01 sec. Therefore, the MIG could get hit 5-6 times (assuming that the aim is accurate).

Correction, it should be 6,000rpm or 100rps. There is no typo in the muzzle velocity.

A single multi-barrel canon saves weight compared to 2 canons. Furthermore, a high rate of fire can help ensure as much rounds can hit a fast-travelling target.

Designers calculated that at 100rps meant that each shell is spaced by 0.01 sec. A fighter such as a MiG-29 (17.20m length) at 90deg angle flying at 1,000 km/h travels 2.78m in 0.01 sec. Therefore, the MIG could get hit 5-6 times (assuming that the aim is accurate).

Wow Denny. You certainly are very knowledgable. I am very very very impressed with your ability to provide facts and figures, not only in this subject, but also in other aspects. Salute. :good:

Time to revive this old thread.....................

Event: RSAF Open House 2008

Date/Time: 30-31 Aug 9 am to 7 pm

Place: Paya Lebar Air Base

Getting There:

a. Free shuttle service* to Paya Lebar Air Base is available at Hougang SBS Transit Bus Interchange and Eunos SBS Transit Bus Interchange, or

b. Hop onto SBS Transit Bus Service 90 at Toa Payoh SBS Transit Bus Interchange and alight opposite Air Force Museum. The entrance is just next to the Air Force Museum

* Free Shuttle Service operating hours: 0830 hrs to 2000 hrs

Event Description:

This year, the Republic of Singapore Air Force turns 40! As part of the 40th Anniversary Celebrations, the RSAF Open House 2008 will be held for the public on the 30th and 31st August 2008. The event will showcase the 3rd Generation RSAF and the capabilities that the RSAF has developed over the years. Exciting highlights include aerial display performances, aircraft rides, hot air balloon rides, display of our advanced weapon systems and carnival activities for all!

A set of 5 commemorative stamps featuring the diverse range of vocations that make up the 3rd Generation RSAF will be officially launched by SingPost on 28 Aug 08. The set of stamps in the form of First Day Cover affixed with stamps and Presentation Pack will also be available for sale during the RSAF Open House. There will also be a commemorative 40th Annivesary Book on sale at show site.

Publicity Website:

Please visit RSAF Open House 2008 website for event highlights, event map and other details.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/rsaf/oh08/index.html

Spotting note: This is probably the last few chances to see the F-5s and E-2Cs in RSAF colours.

I am sure there will quite a few Mwingers at the Open House!

Attendees check in!

Looks a great program for a fine day out !!! :yahoo:

Cannot take part in the lucky draw for flying the Chinook, Herkie Bird or Dutch Lady :( :(

The medics were on patrol via golf carts. But TK's fainting wasn't convincing enough to qualify for a mouth to mouth resucitation.

IMG_5277_c8.jpg

Nowadays mouth to mouth is not used often already. The medics carry a "squeeze bottle" attached to a resusitation mask. They use that for resusitation. Haha.... No wonder they need a golf cart. I've seen how much equipment they carry where I work.

Edited by Cephas

Sign in to follow this