MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mushrif A

New LCC - Asmara Airlines (?)

I think this has been mentioned here some many months ago - Asmara Airlines. Based on below, it sounds like a Berjaya Airlines-like outfit. Hope this will not be a still-born like the Aeromalaysiana ATR-equipped of yesteryears.

Asmara Airlines Flying To Thailand?

BANGKOK, Aug 28 (Bernama) -- Thailand hopes that the launch of Malaysia's new low-cost carrier, Asmara Airlines, next month will boost its target of attracting 1.6 million tourists from Malaysia next year.

Director of Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) office in Kuala Lumpur, Wiwatchai Boonsak, said he was told the airline would start operation on Sept 6.

"The airline is expected to fly to Hat Yai from Kuala Lumpur and Penang. We hope the number of Malaysian tourists visiting Thailand, especially to Hat Yai and Phuket, will increase with the new airline," he said at a recent briefing here on TAT's plan for 2007.

Not much information is available about the Asmara, which is said to backed by a young corporate figure from Perak and is expected to fly international routes.

Wiwatchai said the number of Malaysian tourists, currently the largest group visiting the country, has increased in the past few years due to the entry of Air Asia which flies to Bangkok and Chiang Mai from Kuala Lumpur.

"Among the destinations we are selling to Malaysians are Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Samui, Hat Yai, Phuket and Trang.

"We will be wooing women, honeymoon couples, Muslims and students.

"Many Malaysian women, especially housewives, like to come to Thailand for shopping and to go to spa," he said.

Wiwatchai said the unrest in southern provinces has also reduced the flow of Malaysian tourists.

"Nevertheless, Hat Yai still remains a popular spot for Malaysians, especially on weekends.

-- BERNAMA

doesnt asmara mean intercourse in malay? what a name for an airline

Not really. According to Kamus Dewan :

asmara - cinta, kasih, cinta berahi

which all generally mean love or adoration.

After all we have Mukah (adultery) in Sarawak which is even worse!!! :blink:

back to topic, what kind of aircraft this airline will operate? B737? will they use the LCC-T?

Initially they intend to use Fokkers F-50s but changed their type to B737-300s. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ther's no much info I get about this airline except the owner is a rich man from Ipoh and they are using 737 and eventually will order 100 NG if the biz is good :good:

Sept 6 start operations = First Flight on Sept 6?

Today is Aug 28, 9 more days to go and ticket not selling yet :blink:

Ther's no much info I get about this airline except the owner is a rich man from Ipoh and they are using 737 and eventually will order 100 NG if the biz is good :good:

100NGs heh ? That's pretty ambitious.

Sign in to follow this