MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin P K

Ways to grow MAS

Question: If you had your way, which area will you focus to improve? What are the ideas that you think might work for MAS? And also what areas that you think MH needs to step up in? Let’s have a discussion and try to compile our own version of the Business Transformation. We may not know what is the real picture, or the constraints that exist, but let’s put one down and have a good discussion for the sake of our national flag bearer.

For me, one of the most important things in this industry is branding, apart from services. I think we do excel in the service category, many have been praising about the service they have received flying with MAS. But why hasn’t this yield in profits? How strong is our brand name? I believe flying is all about branding and this leads to frequent flyer program that one would really want to be associated with. I can't help but to look at how well the KrisFlyer is doing for Singapore Airlines. A quick hop to Flyertalk under the KF section, you can see all these 'die-hard' fans who sing praises of SQ even though they are foreigners. Some are fanatic enough to record all their safety videos!!!

Not sure if this thread is going anywhere, but let’s try! :p What do YOU think?

:pardon: :pardon:

Edited by Edwin P K

Just a few here:

- Better utilization of the fleet: saw too many planes sit idle at KLIA for long periods of time (like, start flying ad-hoc charters/ sightseeing flights, etc)...

- introduce wave-system, if not done yet (saw some peaks at BKI, which can be 'flattened out' this way)...

- emphasize more on Kargo (relatively better income as compared to pax)...

- join an Alliance (synergies !)...

Branding...yes I do agree. EK has spent a lot on branding as well ! Even AK, i think they have done well on this as a LCC :good:

Next, agree with u, Pieter, join an Alliance !

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Slimming its workforce - they've started doing it.

Getting rid of excessive equipment - they said they'd do it but no outcome other than its props being transferred over to FAX.

Meals onboard - at times I find a lot of wastage, just by looking at the trays around me. It's either some of the food was terrible that nobody eats them or they've put too much on the tray. If they remove 1 item, it'll probably save them less than a dollar per meal - but multiply that by 10 to 100 million meals, you save hell of a lot!

Internal restructuring required urgently. Get rid of irrelevant positions and improve efficiency of the organisation, especially Customer Care section!! It's utterly disappointing and frustrating to have to wait for ages and yet not get a reply from the airline. :angry:

Edited by Tony

Meals onboard - at times I find a lot of wastage, just by looking at the trays around me. It's either some of the food was terrible that nobody eats them or they've put too much on the tray. If they remove 1 item, it'll probably save them less than a dollar per meal - but multiply that by 10 to 100 million meals, you save hell of a lot!

Food leftover onboard is probably the food is tasteless or crap. The amount and items of food serving on MH domestic cattle class is already at minimum, to cut down further will reduce MH cabin service to LCC level.

MH should improve the food quality instead.

Hi uys,

for me MAS SHOULD increase the quality of the food onboard,be it on C or Y.I've flown both classes and the standard is waaaay below than that of the food in the Golden Lounge.

For me,get rid of those much not-needed 734s if they don't wanna utilize them.Sell some,maybe 7-10 of 734s and use the other 734s maxly.Look at Air Asia,their turnaround time is less than 30 mins,so their aircraft won't be long on the ground and the rent for parking is also less.

Internal restructuring required urgently. Get rid of irrelevant positions and improve efficiency of the organisation, especially Customer Care section!! It's utterly disappointing and frustrating to have to wait for ages and yet not get a reply from the airline. :angry:

I completely agree with you on this. It takes them forever to reply you and that is provided if they do reply you. Sometimes you're ignored completely.

MH should improve the food quality instead.

On the SYD/KUL, I always get served the chicken/tuna roll, which is ridiculously cold, tasteless, and just not the food I'd be expecting from an airline which seeks to have my experience with them redefined!!

Can someone tell MH to get rid of that breakfast item?? It's not a very good way to start my day! :help:

On the SYD/KUL, I always get served the chicken/tuna roll, which is ridiculously cold, tasteless, and just not the food I'd be expecting from an airline which seeks to have my experience with them redefined!!

Can someone tell MH to get rid of that breakfast item?? It's not a very good way to start my day! :help:

Well Tony, just FYI, they have now replaced that nasty breakfast item with refreshment which consists of a muffin and a jam filled danish. I had that when I flew KUL-ADL last Monday.

:good:

The chicken roll really killed me on my way from KUL. :bad:

Looking forward to better breakfast on my next flight :yahoo:

And getting back to the topic....

Response time: MH should have a policy to say all enquiries must be acted upon within X hours of receipt. MH might have quality assurance on the front line, dealing with travelling pax, but I doubt it for the general public making random enquiries. Or in the case of having it, it's not enforced.

Too many 734s, I reckon? Get rid of them - or replace with A320s or any other suitable crafts. A330 fleet is being overworked. 747 - underutilised?? Time for MH to shrink its fleet options down to about 2 types - one for long haul, one for short. Less variance, less cost in maintaining the fleet!!

Edited by Tony

Sign in to follow this