MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
H Azmal

Today in history II

Today 3rd July 2006 marks the 18th anniversary of the tragic shootdown of Iran Air Flight 655, an Airbus A300 (regn. EP-IBU) over the Straits of Hormuz within Iranian territorial waters by the USS Vincennes. 290 people were killed by 'mistake', one for which the US never formally apologised to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

"I will never apologise for the United States of America, ever. I don't care what it has done. I don't care what the facts are."

Today 3rd July 2006 marks the 18th anniversary of the tragic shootdown of Iran Air Flight 655, an Airbus A300 (regn. EP-IBU) over the Straits of Hormuz within Iranian territorial waters by the USS Vincennes. 290 people were killed by 'mistake', one for which the US never formally apologised to this day.

What a cowboy ! :angry:

The Iranian will never forget this incident....This incident marks the arrogant of the U.S. leaders.

Today 3rd July 2006 marks the 18th anniversary of the tragic shootdown of Iran Air Flight 655, an Airbus A300 (regn. EP-IBU) over the Straits of Hormuz within Iranian territorial waters by the

USS Vincennes. 290 people were killed by 'mistake', one for which the US never formally apologised to this day.

QUOTE("US Vice-President George H. W. Bush")

"I will never apologise for the United States of America, ever. I don't care what it has done. I don't care what the facts are."

Funny that they wonder why some people becomes terrorist to attack them.

Funny that they wonder why some people becomes terrorist to attack them.

Not to mention Operation Iraqi Liberation

such a sad day to remember for iranians. If this is a mistake they really do it on purpose. without communication they just open fire.

I'm sorry for the Iranians :(

It is clearly American false. The shot was made after the ship receive wrong code from nearby F-14 which label the A300 as "enemy F-14". Eventhough it is blame on computers, but such decision to shoot down a comm. flight is cruel. The code also keep changing from comm to fighter vv. I urge the US president to apologise-Bush family is just a pig! :angry: Funny things is during the gulf war, the aircraft carrier was nearby, why don't the captain contact the carrier to send a jet to the plane to find out what really that thing is?.............. <_>

Saw the accident on air crash investigation recently.....Those navy guys even got medal and honoured after the shooting. What load of #$%&

I saw that on ACI too.. they were honoured for protecting their ship.

Maybe to them the lives of Iranian people worth less.

To be fair, it *was* a mistake, and they should have been responsible enough to face the consequences and admit it. They could have made things a bit better by admitting the fault and formally apologising. Honouring the Vincennes crew sent the wrong message.

This case serves to tell, in my opinion, of 'them against us' mentality pervalent in the US society. 9/11 only served to exaggerate the whole thing. It does not help that Hollywood thrives on the idea that Americans are 'heroes' much looked up upon by the world. I have no doubt some of them are heroic and brave in real life, but in this instance as in so many past examples, that heroism and bravery is woefully misplaced.

Edited by H Azmal