MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

Mistake fare on AF

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560399

For people based in Europe and fancy a cheap holiday to the US (and who aren't lucky enough to know airline staff and get access to ID fares), what are you waiting for? For Skyteam members, this error books into K and hence earns full miles. :D

Trouble is you have to fly out of BUD. But this can be easily overcome by getting a return cheapie on one of those LCCs to BUD.

Also am not sure the exact dates the error fare work but as its valid for 6 months you can just do a quick turnaround at BUD at a random date of ur choosing (one way cheapie to BUD, then use the first sector of the ticket to CDG, and then another one way ticket cheapie to wherever you are in Europe) and only use the rest of the ticket whenever you feel like travelling, within the 6 month validity period, since the dates are changeable and the fare allows a stopover (meaning a stop for more than 24 hours) at CDG. Just call up AF and change the dates of the rest of the sectors when you get back from the turnaround. This is of course assuming that the error wouldn't come up for the date you actually intend to travel but if it works then great. This is end on end ticketing and is hence within the airline rules. You could also enjoy a short holiday in Paris.

Do follow the instructions carefully on flyertalk, and if in doubt - sign up for an a/c there and ask away. Don't ask me as I've relatively little experience with mistake fares. Do hurry up and book the fare as mistakes tend to be pulled within 24 hours if the airline is fast enough. My THB1/night error rate at the Holiday Inn in Phuket was pulled within 17 hours - thank god I got in quick.

The only issue would be whether AF honours the fare but worth trying. Airlines usually honour these things though. The trick is to book it via travelocity and exploit their reservation guarantee - so they're the ones to make up for the shortfall in fares should AF demand it and issues a DM, not you.

Have fun! :)

Edited by Keith T

The fare also does not appear to work if you try to book it the other way around (ie USA-CDG-BUD). You could try back to back ticketing, which is actually against ticketing rules (but certainly NOT illegal except in 1 state of the US) - but people have been able to get away with it by booking the tickets on 2 seperate airlines. Up to you to decide whethe the risk is worth it - I've certainly never attempted a back to back as I don't want to be blacklisted by an airline. :p

Edited by Keith T

Hey keith are you coming to AKL? :)

Sure am. :) We should meet up for coffee at one of those cute little cafes around Chancery Lane.

The original reason for being there is some Flyertalk 'Do' (FT speak for a weekend-long party at a random city around the world), but it might not happen due to lack of attendees. But decided to head over anyway as I miss AKL.

Edited by Keith T

Sure am. smile.gif We should meet up for coffee at one of those cute little cafes around Chancery Lane.

Sure man, let me know when you are in AKL. My office is just between High Street and Queen Street. 1 min walk to The Chancery :). Let me know when you are arriving thru PM, would like to catch up with you :) Could take a drive around AKL during the weekends too :)

Ah crap - my mate was just telling me about this deal!

Am really tempted to get this, but too bad I can't just decide to fly over at the states for a quick holiday as I'd require visa. Damn!

Edited by Edwin P K

Ah crap - my mate was just telling me about this deal!

Am really tempted to get this, but too bad I can't just decide to fly over at the states for a quick holiday as I'd require visa. Damn!

Doesn't take long to get one does it?

Fare's disappeared from the Amadeus system. Amazing it's been around for so long. I'm beginning to think it's a real deal rather than an error fare. But ah well, stranger things have happened.

Yeah, think about this, do you know how hard to get even the visiting visa ;)

Yeah, think about this, do you know how hard to get even the visiting visa ;)

I thought that once upon a time, but I just got one from the consulate in Melbourne and the process was rather painless. Haven't been to the US since I was little so it's be great if the process of actually entering the country will be just as palatable. Hopefully they'll accept 'mileage run' as an excuse when they take issue with my strange routing to the US via Europe. :S

Edited by Keith T

I heard it's quite a hassle getting a visa - even visiting! So I couldn't be bothered to check it out!

Yes, its a hassle but not as tough as many made it out to be.

As for visiting, its actually more of a hassle to enter Australia :o

As for visiting, its actually more of a hassle to enter Australia :o

I wouldn't be surprised. Aussie custom agents are f*ckwits, very un-Australian! I've to say the most unpleasant customs experience I've had thus far is at AKL though - I was almost made to feel guilty that I even dared contemplate a visit to NZ!

Edited by Keith T

I wouldn't be surprised. Aussie custom agents are f*ckwits, very un-Australian! I've to say the most unpleasant customs experience I've had thus far is at AKL though - I was almost made to feel guilty that I even dared contemplate a visit to NZ!

I did watch the TV show 'Nothing To Declare' and they seems really really strict! Poor visitorrs who are clueless especually those who tried to bring food in. Even dried ones were forbidden! :blink:

I did watch the TV show 'Nothing To Declare' and they seems really really strict! Poor visitorrs who are clueless especually those who tried to bring food in. Even dried ones were forbidden! :blink:

Oh thats nothing really.

When they search your bags, they remove every single item and closely examine each item. They even read all your personal documents (including letters), look through your wallet and even question you why you have a local restaurant business card with you. Even a small circle on a map would arouse suspicion. Thats the price for travelling on a Malaysian passport, I guess !

Do I blame them ? No, not really.

I blame my countrymen for giving us a bad reputation abroad; working illegally, committing credit card fraud and you know what in Bali .....

Alright to be fair to Aust, sometimes I have been waved through without a single question or with just a simple x-ray on my luggage .

Edited by Arthur Lee

Alright to be fair to Aust, sometimes I have been waved through without a single question or with just a simple x-ray on my luggage .

I realise that this happens a lot on trans-tasman flights. My friend joked that it's because trans-tasman flights are 'effectively domestic flights anyway.' *dodges from flames*

For Aust customs, it's always a good idea to make sure you have something to declare even if you don't. Just get a bar of chocolates from the airport or a pack of nuts from the plane and declare it as food. 100% of the time i've done this I've cleared much faster than the 'nothing to declare'; just got waived through after they saw what i had to declare. No screening, no nothing. No queues too because everyone else is at the 'nothing to declare' lanes. ;)

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this