MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Alaska Airlines to ground fleet of 65 planes after window, chunk of fuselage blow out after take-off

Alaska Airlines said it will ground its fleet of Boeing 737 Max-9 jets, hours after a window and a portion of the plane’s fuselage blew out shortly after take-off in Portland, Oregon.

The airline is taking the “precautionary step” to temporarily ground the fleet of 65 planes until the completion of full maintenance and inspection, chief executive officer Ben Minicucci said in a statement.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/alaska-airlines-flight-makes-emergency-landing-after-window-chunk-of-fuselage-blow-out-20240106-p5evkg.html

Wow, not even a week has gone in 2024 and we had two major aviation events. I really hope that this year will not be one of those statistical quirk years!

You have to but doubt whether the 737 programme will survive beyond its current manifestation 🙄

Even if Boeing is able to patch up all the known flaws, its safety issues are already firmly etched in the flying public's mind

I can already imagine some local MY folks opting for AK's A320s over MH's and OD's 737 Maxs - unless the ticket price sway them otherwise 😁

I wonder whether certification of the Max 7 and 10 will be further delayed. This incident will most definitely cause the FAA to look very closely at he Max 10 as it has similarities to the Max 9 that suffered the issue.

Following the serious incident Friday when a part of a Boeing 737 MAX 9 fuselage blew out at 16,000 feet on an Alaska Airlines flight out of Portland, the FAA on Saturday ordered the temporary grounding of all MAX 9 aircraft operated by U.S. airlines or in U.S. territory.

“The FAA is requiring immediate inspections of certain Boeing 737 MAX 9 planes before they can return to flight,” FAA Administrator Mike Whitaker said. “Safety will continue to drive our decision-making as we assist the NTSB’s investigation into Alaska Airlines Flight 1282.”

FAA grounds MAX 9 jets; several Alaska Airlines passengers injured in blowout

Haven't flown a Max and probably will avoid it as much as I can in the future. This and the news of 737 Max 7 certification lobbying doesn't really install confidence that I'll be in a safe tube.

United Airlines Finds Loose Bolts in Boeing 737 Max 9

United Airlines said on Monday that it had found loose bolts in panels on its Boeing 737 Max 9 jets that are similar to the part of an Alaska Airlines plane that blew out during a flight on Friday, adding to growing safety concerns about the Max 9.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/08/business/boeing-max-9-alaska-airlines.html

Here's what to know about the Boeing 737 Max 9, the jet that suffered an inflight blowout

2 hours ago, flee said:

United Airlines Finds Loose Bolts in Boeing 737 Max 9

United Airlines said on Monday that it had found loose bolts in panels on its Boeing 737 Max 9 jets that are similar to the part of an Alaska Airlines plane that blew out during a flight on Friday, adding to growing safety concerns about the Max 9.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/08/business/boeing-max-9-alaska-airlines.html

Here's what to know about the Boeing 737 Max 9, the jet that suffered an inflight blowout

It seems factory workers and supervisor have been sloppy.

Maybe Boeing should consider new model replacing 737s. The current model maxed out its potential already.

1 hour ago, Alif A. F. said:

Maybe Boeing should consider new model replacing 737s. The current model maxed out its potential already.

I think they still have to make right all the problems the Max has - otherwise, who will trust them to build a fault free plane in future?

Sign in to follow this