MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jahur

Relocation of KKIA

8 hours ago, flee said:

Based on pax traffic, only PEN and BKI expansions are justified. 

Is the old KUA airport to become a military base or is it going to be taken over by some greedy developer?

Thats right, even the new proposed KXP airport and proposed Ipoh new airport are seen as purely populist political ventures. Not viable at all. 

13 hours ago, Craig said:

How many people actually fly to KUA? There maybe an occasional flight from PEN, SIN but that's about it? I'd take a guess that MH's KUL-KUA are mostly connecting pax?

Makes me wonder if the airport is designed to serve tourists visiting the Cherating and beach areas, and how viable this is. But these are seasonal, and the number of visitors drop during the monsoon season.

25 minutes ago, Lim Kar Yong said:

Makes me wonder if the airport is designed to serve tourists visiting the Cherating and beach areas, and how viable this is. But these are seasonal, and the number of visitors drop during the monsoon season.

More importantly, if the plan comes to fruition, it's connected to the ECRL. Why people want to fly KUL-KUA (other than connections) is beyond me when the train is expected to take 2 hours or so. PEN/SIN-KUA might still be served and sounds reasonable but to build a whole new airport for it seems a waste of money. Would be much better if they spend the money on improving existing infrastructure around the country instead of building 2 new airports.

54 minutes ago, Craig said:

More importantly, if the plan comes to fruition, it's connected to the ECRL. Why people want to fly KUL-KUA (other than connections) is beyond me when the train is expected to take 2 hours or so. PEN/SIN-KUA might still be served and sounds reasonable but to build a whole new airport for it seems a waste of money. Would be much better if they spend the money on improving existing infrastructure around the country instead of building 2 new airports.

The current airport will be surrendered back to the military once the new airport is built. The current airport is currently on lease and lease is ending. The new airport will also help in exporting and importing commodities from the MCKIP area. There are a lot of rare earth and chemical MNC plants in Gebeng area. China is also considering exporting/importing via Kuantan Port, using ECRL to send stuff down to Selangor/KL. It is a good thing Malaysia is spreading the industries to the East Coast because Johor, Selangor and Penang are very congested now. 

5 hours ago, Pall said:

Thats right, even the new proposed KXP airport and proposed Ipoh new airport are seen as purely populist political ventures. Not viable at all. 

3 hours ago, Craig said:

Most projects in this country is for those walk in the corridor of power to make $$$.

2 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

The current airport will be surrendered back to the military once the new airport is built. The current airport is currently on lease and lease is ending. The new airport will also help in exporting and importing commodities from the MCKIP area. There are a lot of rare earth and chemical MNC plants in Gebeng area. China is also considering exporting/importing via Kuantan Port, using ECRL to send stuff down to Selangor/KL. It is a good thing Malaysia is spreading the industries to the East Coast because Johor, Selangor and Penang are very congested now. 

ECRL is single track, there is no cost or time saving to load/unload cargo in kuantan port instead of port klang.

Gomen has been given various incentive to set up factory in the east coast in the last few decades.

Hajiji says no immediate need to move KKIA | Daily Express Malaysia - Sabah's Leading News Portal

Well, back to subject matter

Move along now, nothing else to see here for time being 😁

“I believe the current airport can still be used for another seven to 10 years. Of course, in the long term, we would need to move,” Hajiji told FMT in an exclusive interview.

But by golly, I do hope someone here in Sabah can propose, plan, acquire land, finance, build, complete and successfully operate a new airport from scratch all within a ten year frame 😉

Am I the only one who like the current BKI? It's close to town and an easy 10-15 minute cab ride to the city center (maybe a bit more with traffic). You can always see plane land or take off from the city center (not the best for noise pollution tho). Kimanis is easily 60 minutes away from KK, if not more? Can we not emulate Indonesia by building airport that's least 1+ hour away from the city (KNO, KJT, YIA comes to mind).

MAHB: Upgrading, development plans for Kota Kinabalu International Airport

The acting Group CEO also briefed the minister on the future development of KKIA over a timeline of three years (2024-2026) in two phases (first phase within 12 to 18 months, and second phase from 18 to 36 months).

“MAHB will be proposing to the government a development plan to increase the airport’s capacity from 10 million passengers per annum (mmpa) to 12 mmpa by 2026-2027,” he said.

According to him, the scope of works under the Airport Development 12 MPPA Plan (2024-2026) encompasses renovation and extension of the existing main terminal building, extension of the international pier, infrastructure works (landside) and infrastructure works (airside).

“Landside infrastructure works involve upgrading of the airport access road, and the development of a new multi-storey car park, while airside infrastructure works entail providing an additional aircraft parking apron to accommodate seven aircraft with the total of 33 aircraft parking bays.”

From the looks of it
- 1 extra widebody / 2 narrowbody gate with jetways with mild terminal building expansion from the international side near gate 2.
-Rework on immigration width, and landside area
- Apron expansion near the domestic area to allow 6 narrowbody aircraft(Likely for airasia)
-Multi level car park(Finally)

Meanwhile Terminal 2 ramp is still underutilized and ground handlers are too lazy to tow unused aircraft to that particular area.

Sign in to follow this