MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Guest Michael

MAS Operations

Guest Michael

What is going to happen with the future of MAS now with Idris controlling the company? What will it mean for Australia people? Will the airline be able to increase its revenue through Route Rationalising at all. Also do any cabin staff use this forum at all?

:D :good:

Hello there,Micheal :lol:

Mostly,the Managing Director (MD),Idris Jala will concentrating on the domestic sectors first,as the domestic sector is the vein of MAS operations.

Guest Michael

Well we can hope that Idris will bring good things to MAS, bring it back into profitability.

Well we can hope that Idris will bring good things to MAS, bring it back into profitability.

I'm agree with you,Micheal. Let just hope so,especially for MAS Domestic operations.

Also do any cabin staff use this forum at all?

Yup, Michael. We got Nicholas Wan and M N Fairizuan :)

Guest Michael

Does any one have the contact details for the two cabin staff using this forum at all, like an email address or ne thing?

Does any one have the contact details for the two cabin staff using this forum at all, like an email address or ne thing?

You can PM them thou ;) :)

Guest Michael

Has any one here got an idea on how to PM the cabin staff that use this forum and I can see the upgrading is continuing with the B744 and the B772 so that is good, there is enough cash to warrant continuous upgrading. At least Idris has his head screwed on.

Mike

Guest Michael

It is good to be curious about others on this forum I believe.

MAS profit 7 million to the date after rationalize thingy. Profit start to shine the company afterall...................

Guest Michael

This has to be the start of something good now, hopefully more profit to come then.

Here are some clarification of those results: (Source: Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation, MAS, TheStar.com.my)

Do be reminded that the RM7 Million net profit is for the month of Mar-06. The three month period ended 31-Mar-06 saw a lower than expected net loss of RM329 Million, inclusive of the net profit indicated for the month of March. The hope is that the profits realised in March are signs of the turnaround and hopefully indications of a trend for positive growth to realise the ambitions of RM50 million profit in FY07 and RM500 million profit in FY08.

The Mar-06 profit is attributed to greater cost control by MAS in all areas of operation including engineering, catering, corporate advertising and wages (greater control on overtime hours and subsequent pay). Also, the Mar-06 profit whilst encouraging, may not be realised in 2Q and 3Q of FY06 as these are traditionally low seasons for the airline. 4Q earnings are expected to be good however, but everything is of course dampened by the threat of higher oil prices (MAS has hedged 70% of fuel costs for FY06 at USD57/barrel). Contrary to this, the weakened USD is good for outbound travel from the Asian region and MAS stands to gain.

Also MAS reports that RPK increased in 1Q/FY06 to 22.6 sen (up from 18.6 sen RPK in FY05). This is amongst its regional competitors and an apparent testament to the Business Turnaround Plan (BTP) invoked by the executive management in Feb-06. They still lag behind Qantas (32.4 sen RPK [FY05]) but are near their competitors SIA (22.3 sen [FY05]) and Thai (22.2) [FY05]).

All this is good news, here is a more concise format for the information seen above (Source - CAPA):

Revenue: MYR2,971 million, +0.2% year-on-year:

Passenger: MYR2,530 million, comparison not disclosed;

Cargo: MYR652.7 million, n/a;

Operating costs: MYR3,343 million, +9.3%;

Operating profit (loss): (MYR309.5 million), compared to a MYR91.1 million operating profit in 2005;

Net profit (loss): (MYR320.0 million), compared to a MYR112.0 million net profit in 2005;

Fuel: Hedged 70% of fuel requirements for 2006 at USD57/barrel;

Forecasts: MYR620 million loss for the 12 months ending 31-Dec-06.

Also MAS reports that RPK increased in 1Q/FY06 to 22.6 sen (up from 18.6 sen RPK in FY05). This is amongst its regional competitors and an apparent testament to the Business Turnaround Plan (BTP) invoked by the executive management in Feb-06. They still lag behind Qantas (32.4 sen RPK [FY05]) but are near their competitors SIA (22.3 sen [FY05]) and Thai (22.2) [FY05]).

Hi Sandeep,

I believe those figures refer to yield and not RPK?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, RPK is in units of "seat-kms" (you get that by multiplying number of revenue pax by kilometres flown). Yield is in units of "cents per RPK" (total revenue divided by total RPK); also often known as "yield per RPK".

in short..earn RM7 early month, lose RM300++ month end..still very bad..

to earn so low need to sack so many ppl...next to earn RM300 then all will be sack...

somemore every month lose RM300 who going to pay the bill??...Gov ??..

GOV=us worker who pay our tax..

Although I don't quite get what zealich is saying, but I believe the results is before MSS come into action.

Guest Michael

Hello people, MAS just delivered a small profit. We can be overjoyed about this even though it is slight.

Rome wasn't built in a day , so we'll hope that this is a beginning to a turn around .

Whatever it is , Malaysia Airlines is something we as Malaysians should be proud of :good:

MAS No Autonomous Powers To Restructure - Tengku Azlan

May 17, 2006 16:33 PM E-mail this news to a friend Printable version of this news

KUALA LUMPUR, May 17 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) management has no autonomous powers to restructure the airline, Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Azlan Sultan Abu Bakar told the Dewan Negara Wednesday.

He said the Government did not give autonomous powers to MAS to restructure to become a profitable entity.

Instead, all decisions made by MAS management must be referred to the Government before a final decision was made, he said.

This include the Mutual Separation Scheme (MSS) to be offered by MAS to more than 6,500 of its employees who would be retrenched as part of the plan to turnaround the national carrier, he said when replying to Senator Tan Bon You.

"In this rationalisation process as announced by the government, MAS has been asked to study and negotiate with the MAS Employees' Union (Maseu) the proposed retrenchment of employees to reduce the negative effects from the exercise," he said when replying to Senator Dr Mohd Fuad Zarkashi.

Following a meeting between MAS and Maseu, Tengku Azlan said MAS management had taken note of the union's proposals in deciding the MSS.

"MAS will submit its proposals on the MSS to the government after the MSS offer was accepted and agreed by both sides as the MSS exercise needs financial assistance from the government," he added.

-- BERNAMA

"He said the Government did not give autonomous powers to MAS to restructure to become a profitable entity."

I wonder if MAS will ever become a profitable entity without overcome such authority.

SV Choong,

That was dated quite a while ago, and was exactly what I was longing for (for my assignment).

Our government just couldn't resist getting involved with businesses and what have you. As I said in my report, "let business be run like a business". Hands free, government! :angry: