MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Seth K

We are not toilet cleaners

‘We are not toilet cleaners’

KUALA LUMPUR: The producers of local comedy film Buli Balik may find themselves staring at a lawsuit for allegedly ridiculing flight stewardesses in the recent box-office hit.

The Malaysia Airlines Flight Attendants Association (MAFAA) has taken exception to a scene in the movie where an actress refers to stewardesses as “toilet cleaners’’.

The allegedly offensive scene shows a female patient waiting to see a psychiatrist, played by Harith Iskandar, remarking: “Orang ni, kalau sebutnya stewardess nak mengoratlah dan tulah... pencuci toilet aja diatas tu’’ (“This person, if you mention stewardess, he wants to tackle and such... only a toilet cleaner up there’’).

MAFAA secretary-general Ismail Nasamuddin A.W. Maxwell said it was unbecoming of the film’s producers and director, Afdlin Shauki, to belittle the profession of a flight attendant by equating it to that of a toilet cleaner.

“It is an insult to our profession. We are not toilet cleaners. The producers and director of the movie owe us a public apology for making such disparaging remarks about our profession,” said Ismail in a statement yesterday.

“They have cast a negative image of the profession and made our members unhappy and embarrassed.“

He said it was wrong to portray such a negative image of flight attendants as certain aspects of their job were on par with those of airline pilots especially when it came to the safety of passengers, adding that they had saved the lives of many passengers during emergencies in the past.

“Many cabin crew members now are highly educated people and it is unreasonable for the producers and director of the movie to belittle us without understanding the nature of our job,’’ said Ismail.

MAFAA, which has about 2,000 members, wants the producers and director of the movie to publicly apologise for the offensive statement and wants the dialogue removed from the script.

“We are giving them seven days to explain themselves and publicly apologise to all flight attendants through all the newspapers and media channels, failing which we will pursue legal action,’’ said Ismail.

He called on members of the film industry to be more careful in the way they portrayed any profession.

:)

Oh boy!

Edited by Seth K

But we're talking bout people here who often have a wrong perception on the jobs of the cabin crew..i think...its not appropriate..and well a lawsuit is justified if an appology is not made......

Jobs as a cabin crew has never been without controversy. They play important role of getting pax to safety at emergency situation, giving pax comfort inflight at midnight with a smile (who wants to entertain request in the middle of the night where all you want to do is sleep?), missing best friend/family's wedding and not to mention give 110% effort to take out the bad guys for the sake of pilots and the pax to safety. It's never a good sight to see your collegue get wounded by them.

A lot of people failed to see their job in their point of view and keeps thinking their job is the easiest of all. What about getting naged on and on by demanding pax that who thinks they are right or superior when they are cleary disturbing others or drunk? Jetlag and stress? Sexual harrassment?

Giving all kinds of labels such as high class pros for stewardess, air waiters and now toilet cleaners? I'd say sue them coz I refuse to see the respect of the job getting pollutted by those ignorants out there.

Sorry to get a bit emotional here but it's also my dream job other than job as a Pilot. Anyway it just my two worthless cents here. Ok, I'm done bragging.

hmm, it just a movie for sure.. and just a stupid jokes. it doesn't directly insult some people.

How about pilot? i even heard some pilot in airliners say their job is like a half time 'security guard' for watching the instructment working fine in the cockpit.

they should be more 'open-minded'. Just my 2 cent...

You could argue that lots of people have a skewed perception of politicians as lazy evil bastards too. Or lawyers as greedy manipulative pricks. Or Catholic priests as pedophiles. But if the satire is done in good humour then issuing civil proceedings is really a sign of people taking themselves too seriously.

Every job is making contribution towards the society. Toilet cleaners and rubbish collectors too are contributing their part to the society. What do these people who laugh at others contribute to?

You could argue that lots of people have a skewed perception of politicians as lazy evil bastards too. Or lawyers as greedy manipulative pricks .....

Now, that is a refreshing perspective if ever one is needed ! :D :D

Edited by Bing Chu

tell u guys what...the movie s**k anyway...never bother to c those low standard movie.... :angry: :angry:

As for the lawsuit...Sue them let them pay!!!....they never respect ppls job....I hate ppl who does not respect others job :angry: :angry: :angry: as if actors is the best job..be it a toilet cleaner...I respect those who take up these jobs.. without them our country looks like %#@!%...

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Every job is making contribution towards the society. Toilet cleaners and rubbish collectors too are contributing their part to the society. What do these people who laugh at others contribute to?

I think taking the piss is a valid form of art. Ever watched stand-up comedians, eg Maria Bamford, Danny Boyd etc?

Edited by Keith T

I think taking the piss is a valid form of art. Ever watched stand-up comedians, eg Maria Bamford, Danny Boyd etc?

hehehe Keith, I must share with you a quote from Shaun Micallef: "There is no such thing as racism. It's just the people from foreign countries just don't have a sense of humour about themselves" :lol:

And Danny Bhoy's impersonation of the Irish: "Diddle-deee- POTATOES!"

hehehe Keith, I must share with you a quote from Shaun Micallef: "There is no such thing as racism. It's just the people from foreign countries just don't have a sense of humour about themselves" :lol:

And Danny Bhoy's impersonation of the Irish: "Diddle-deee- POTATOES!"

Hear hear!

Anyhoo I'm in HKG right now - SQ Raffles Class was awesome. Heading out to hunt for dim sums now! :D

Edited by Keith T

This is a total discrimination, I never see Stewardess clean the toilet either!

I see them do it all the time. Last was on my recent DXB trip.

.ny

This is a total discrimination, I never see Stewardess clean the toilet either!

The Singapore Girls do it every 30 minutes or so. On BA it's every hour, plus a bomb check every 20 minutes. Not sure about QF.

Those who demean other people's jobs get no respect from me. When the actor refers to stewardesses as toilet cleaners, he means that it's a lowly occupation. Indirectly he's also saying that the toilet cleaners' job is lowly. There's no joke in what he said, so how can we call it a comedy or satire?

I give the greatest respect for the toilet cleaner who does a good job to enable us to do our thing in comfort. He or she does it despite the stigma and the unpleasant environment in which he or she works.

Sign in to follow this