MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
psidarta

Everything About Garuda and Its Seat

With all due respect to airfcraft interior manufacturers?, sometimes I do wonder how can an airline's interior be too different from another... Especially on an identical aircraft type and seat class... Apart from prestige and publicity stint. Good for GA though.

http://thedesignair.net/2015/12/15/garuda-indonesia-appoints-jpa-design-to-create-new-business-and-economy-interiors/

it depends on the airlines whether or not they want something generic (out of manufacturers' catalog) or something different. Most airlines would just buy those seats off the manufacturer catalog to reduce the hassle of paperwork, designing, certifying with relevant authorities and manufacturing.

To have something special will definitely involves a lot of time, effort and money investment. Airlines need to decide whether the refurbishment is worthwhile in short to long term. The shelf-life of the products have been shortened significantly over the past few years as each airline wants to outdo each other.

Singapore Airlines is well known for having something different for their premium cabins. They works extensively with premium designers like BMW Group DesignworksUSA and James Park Associate, offering passengers much more superior comfort and privacy. They also hold and still currently hold patents to some of their seat designs, both old and new. Most of their long haul planes get the latest hard products, whereas the regional one get 'out of catalog' designs with minimal changes since the short to medium distance doesn't warrant the need to use latest products.

Virgin Atlantic is another example. VS was the first to introduce the herringbone J class back in early 2000s and hold the patent for quite some time until they sued Zodiac for copying but in the end they lost the case.

Air New Zealand's sleeping couch is another example. They are designed in house because the previous CEO was unhappy with what he saw in catalog. They own the patent, and now CI is using them on their new B77W as well. For this CI will need to pay royalty fee.

A lot of investment goes into the design and materialization of the seat. More so when it is being manufactured for self consumption. Nevertheless, individualism sells tickets. And the tickets don't come any cheaper. It can only go higher as discerning flyers gets more sophisticated in their preference.

GA rolled out its new A333 with B/E Super Diamond Business Class seats yesterday in Jakarta with 26 seats in a 1 - 2 - 1 reverse herringbone configuration. New Y class seats were also rolled out. Pictures can be seen here.

I think 27J/263Y is nice for short to regional route.

Comparing to regional peers:

SQ: 30J/255Y 2-2-2 Angle-flat seats with 172 degrees recline. 60 inch seat pitch

TG: 36J/263Y 2-2-2 Angle-flat seats with 131 degrees recline. 58 inch seat pitch

GA: 36J/215Y 2-2-2 Full flat seats with 180 degrees recline. 74 inch seat pitch

MH: 27J/263Y 1-2-2 or 1-2-1 Full flat seats with 180 degrees recline. 76 inch seat pitch

MH has indeed a very competitive J hard product in place now.

GA rolled out its new A333 with B/E Super Diamond Business Class seats yesterday in Jakarta with 26 seats in a 1 - 2 - 1 reverse herringbone configuration. New Y class seats were also rolled out. Pictures can be seen here.

Impressive J class GA has there! Quite similar to those selected by AA, CI, PR, QR and VA! Y class looks 'hospitable'....

I would say GA is mighty impressive comparatively to SQ. CX is trying to play catch up game. MH new J class is very awesome too!

I would say GA is mighty impressive comparatively to SQ. CX is trying to play catch up game. MH new J class is very awesome too!

More like GA catching up with CX, which introduced this seat way back in 2011.

Just flew on KLM's newest 777 with redesigned Y seats: although estetically they look very nice they are very hard and narrow for a 12 hour flight. AK seats were more comfy (Can you believe that ?)

..... although estetically they look very nice they are very hard and narrow for a 12 hour flight. AK seats were more comfy (Can you believe that ?)

I guess not possible to compare apple with apple strictly - there are no 12 hour AK flights as far as I know :D

(good to see you back here regularly uncle P) :)

Garuda has rolled out its newest A333, PK-GPZ with new super diamond business class seats and new economy seats on January 30th, 2016. Business class now has 24 seats in a 1 - 2 - 1 reverse herringbone direct aisle access configurations. Pictures can be seen here.

Garuda seems to continues to improve its hard products. With these new seats, Garuda probably has one of the most comfortable A333 around. Garuda is using its A333 mostly for the medium haul flights out of CGK and DPS to AUS, CHN, JPN, and KOR.

Ok ok, we get the message.

isn't this like the 3rd or 4th post today from you of the same thing?

I did post it on the MAS A333 new business class thread in a response to a comparison of all the Business Class seats by all MAS competitors in the region but I could not find it there after I posted it. It seemed it has been deleted. Thus, I re-post again. Sorry if this has caused confusion.

Edited by TJANDY

Yes I think CX popularize the super diamond when they introduced them on its 777s a few years back.

GA is marketing this new offering as the first airline to install them on a regional A333.

All the A333s they are due to receive this year will have the same seats installed but from what I've heard, the JPA designed cabin and seats will debut on their 737MAX in January 2017 and then introduced to the next A333 deliveries.

So if I understand correctly, the A333s up to PK-GPY will not be retrofitted with new cabin interior / seats, PK-GPZ and the other three to be delivered in 2016 will have the standard super-diamond seats, and those delivered from 2017 will have the customized ones which, I believe, will be a modified version of the super diamond almost like the Porsche-modified super diamond for their A350s.

The A333s have and will always be the workhorse of GA's regional and medium-haul operation so the decision to introduce the new seats to the remaining A333s does make a lot of sense to stay on-par with the offering from their legacy peers.

GA has been rather quiet on the new seats, probably realizing that many of the peers have been using the same seat type and while they are still a damn-good choice of seat type for a regional A333s, it's not something too new.

I'm pretty sure they will bomb the media at their early 2017 launch of the JPA designed cabins and modified seats, especially on the 737s (where biz class seats have been quite generic) and the newer A333s.

Me looking forward to this year's Singapore Air Show where my gut feeling says they will announce the B789/A359 final decision and quite possibly, give some glimpses of their new upcoming JPA designed-cabins!

Edited by psidarta

CX seats are manufactured by Zodiac Cirrus which were first rolled out by US Airways on its A332. These new GA seats were introduced by QR on its 787 and A350 and then CI as well for its 77W.

I am also looking forward to learning whether GA will confirm its A350 or 787 order at the airshow in Singapore.

More like GA catching up with CX, which introduced this seat way back in 2011.

Oppsy, sorry. I wasn't specific enough. What I mean was CX was trying to catch up with SQ. However the latter is now miles ahead. CX used to be game changer airline, but it has now reduced to 'follower' status by buying off from manufacturer catalogue.

Yes I think CX popularize the super diamond when they introduced them on its 777s a few years back.

GA is marketing this new offering as the first airline to install them on a regional A333.

All the A333s they are due to receive this year will have the same seats installed but from what I've heard, the JPA designed cabin and seats will debut on their 737MAX in January 2017 and then introduced to the next A333 deliveries.

So if I understand correctly, the A333s up to PK-GPY will not be retrofitted with new cabin interior / seats, PK-GPZ and the other three to be delivered in 2016 will have the standard super-diamond seats, and those delivered from 2017 will have the customized ones which, I believe, will be a modified version of the super diamond almost like the Porsche-modified super diamond for their A350s.

The A333s have and will always be the workhorse of GA's regional and medium-haul operation so the decision to introduce the new seats to the remaining A333s does make a lot of sense to stay on-par with the offering from their legacy peers.

GA has been rather quiet on the new seats, probably realizing that many of the peers have been using the same seat type and while they are still a damn-good choice of seat type for a regional A333s, it's not something too new.

I'm pretty sure they will bomb the media at their early 2017 launch of the JPA designed cabins and modified seats, especially on the 737s (where biz class seats have been quite generic) and the newer A333s.

Me looking forward to this year's Singapore Air Show where my gut feeling says they will announce the B789/A359 final decision and quite possibly, give some glimpses of their new upcoming JPA designed-cabins!

By the look of it, GA will have inconsistent J class soon. The new J class illustrated above will be replaced again in 2017?? Or did I read wrongly?

Sign in to follow this