MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Zharif Zaini

Premium Economy Class for MAS

During the Farnborough, Malaysia Airline toyed around the idea of introducing Premium Economy apart of it offering. Question is why did the abandon the idea? Even Garuda Indonesia abandon the idea of Premium Economy in favour of First Class. Why is this the case? Any insight ?

Premium Y seats were installed on the first 9M-MNA occupying the area infront of the current Y cabin on the upper deck. They were removed before -MNA went into commercial service.

But those premium Y seats were quite pathetic!

Basically, the same Y seats, but a bit more leg room, a foot rest similar to those installed previously on the 772 Y seats, and entertainment handsets the same as those in J/F. And 2-4-2 per row, just like in Y on the upper deck. Maybe a good thing they were removed as I don't see any value in paying more than RM50 to be seated in those seats.

During the Farnborough, Malaysia Airline toyed around the idea of introducing Premium Economy apart of it offering. Question is why did the abandon the idea? Even Garuda Indonesia abandon the idea of Premium Economy in favour of First Class. Why is this the case? Any insight ?

Because of the shareswap. They ripped up Premium Economy and put additional J seats up front.

funny to think that even Air Asia X introduce a 'sub' premium economy class in it fleet. I think it was called sleeper class where the cabin light is dim to cater sleeping passenger. Notice this when i was flying business on D7 last time. Even the business class does not such accommodating cabin light fixture but the seat remain similar to normal economy, just extra leg room

It would be quite the product if that was the economy setup, provided the seatbacks themselves are comfy enough. Imagine: Premium layout as regular econ class at a slightly higher price.

It would be quite the product if that was the economy setup, provided the seatbacks themselves are comfy enough. Imagine: Premium layout as regular econ class at a slightly higher price.

Reminds me of Delta Economy Comfort..

funny to think that even Air Asia X introduce a 'sub' premium economy class in it fleet. I think it was called sleeper class where the cabin light is dim to cater sleeping passenger. Notice this when i was flying business on D7 last time. Even the business class does not such accommodating cabin light fixture but the seat remain similar to normal economy, just extra leg room

The quiet zone.

The quiet zone.

Yes, the quiet zone. No extra fees are charged except for their usual pick-a-seat fee. No children are allowed, dim light setting and they even put curtains separating it from the rest of economy. Was given that area during check in when I went to Busan. I loved it so much that I paid for it during my flight with them after that to Tokyo

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Yes, the quiet zone. No extra fees are charged except for their usual pick-a-seat fee.

I think quiet zone seats cost more than normal seats nowadays.

Yes, it is my preferred seat these days too - simply because of the no children rule. Very useful especially if there are PRC pax on board!