MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Seth K

Malacca Airport RM120M investment for upgrade

hey.....i can show u guys....where to get a very clear view of the whole aiport layout(whole malacca actually!). from a hill (east of airfield)... Me and my friends...(i mean during i was in MFA). we always go there...for the lovely sunsets....and just to watch aircraft land..during sunset...beautiful view. and its nice too...when the Air Force...come in. with their tactical approach technique!

once the...airport are fully upgraded....wow.... im going down to malacca again...to take photographs! neesern...if you baca this message...try to go up there..before you graduate..nice view nice moment!

i use to drive up the Bukit Beruang cemetary to get a good view (creepy :huh: ), only went there for sighting with binocular(sighting the airplane, not ghost), not spotting. need a good camera.

Azuddin

Not an hour, but close enough :)

There are Indonesian workers in south states that use air service to visit home and biz between Malacca and Indonesia increase the cummunication services. The gov. may think that AK could start Malacca to international routes with low price for the labors to go home and tourism. Just like in Houston area where there are two airport-George Bush intercontinental(IAH) which serve domestic and international purpose and Houston Lobby which serve Regional routes and they are less than half an hour apart! SFO and LAX are close too, LGA-EWR-JFK is situated side by side. I say go on with the project

z :)

The volume of traffic in the city of Houston, London and New York is much higher than the whole of peninsular Malaysia. Hence, it made economical sense to have multiple airports. But doubt the volume of traffic from Malacca justified regular A320 or B734 service.

Believe the Government should be focusing on improving the under utilized KLIA (e.g. extending ERL to LCCT) rather than spreading the resources too thinly.

The volume of traffic in the city of Houston, London and New York is much higher than the whole of peninsular Malaysia. Hence, it made economical sense to have multiple airports. But doubt the volume of traffic from Malacca justified regular A320 or B734 service.

Was about to say the same thing but you beat me to it.

I suppose it's the repeat of the same kind of bollox when KLIA position justification was given, which was the distance between Japanese cities and their respective airports - forgetting to take into account the traffic volume and need.

Believe the Government should be focusing on improving the under utilized KLIA (e.g. extending ERL to LCCT) rather than spreading the resources too thinly.

There is actually a plan to extend the ERL rail network further south to Johor Bahru and possibly Singapore.

i was thinking that government should put money to MAS, you can see how MAS nowadays. what if ne day, we have more rgional airport and MAS is dead, by that time, there's no point of having many airport.

Azuddin

Does anyone else get the feeling that people at MH and Malaysian govt are completely out of sync ?! Here is MH just finished harping about their new 'hub and spoke' approach to life after rationalisation. And here we also have plans to create 'regional hubs' all over the place !

Apart from Melaka, they're also going to 'upgrade' Labuan - AGAIN ! Seriously, these so called planners - have they actually visited the white elephant ?

There is actually a plan to extend the ERL rail network further south to Johor Bahru and possibly Singapore.

For certain, ERL won’t be extending to JB in the next 5 years as it was not mentioned in the 9MP :(

Singapore, why need to extend to Singapore? If then, they have to build another bridge, I guess...........may be to Melaka and stop, isn't ERL for KUL and city center railway service........make sense to bring to Melaka as locals can use ERL to take flights from KUL, but extending the railway futher south can put JHB in jeopardy :)

Singapore, why need to extend to Singapore? If then, they have to build another bridge, I guess...........may be to Melaka and stop, isn't ERL for KUL and city center railway service........make sense to bring to Melaka as locals can use ERL to take flights from KUL, but extending the railway futher south can put JHB in jeopardy :)

In long term transport planning, It is desirable to see high speed rail link to connect from Penang / Alor Setar down south to JB and Singapore ( if they behave) with KL ( main hub), Ipoh, Seremban, Malacca and possibly other towns such as Muar, Kuala Kangsar and Taiping. The basic rationale is to dispurse Klang Valley growth and economic concentration to other parts of the Penninsular. This would mean that one can opt to leave in JB and commute to KL within one hour ( assuming 400+km/h) just like what we see in Japan and France.

It may not necessarily be the ERL and the above has been aknowledged by our government. However it shall be in the Long term planning ( too soon within RM9). Another problem is the high capital cost that needs to be considered.

This will definately benefit economic growth at other states and relieve the constraints within the Klang Valley in the long run. This would definately have a reverse impact on the local aviation industry. But, our carriers (MH and AK) should, in the long run be prepared for it.

Coming back to the topic, such spending may be a waste, and the rail stations should have been given the priority. Unless MKZ airport intends to promote intra regional air services such to KBR, TGG, KUA, PEN, PDG, PLM , MES, CGK... etc.. , which I think the demand may be low.

FYI,

There is no need to build another bridge accross the Causeway as the Second Link and the exisitng Causeway do have rail reserves. The good news is the Second Link reserves has not been utilised yet.

well, if they extend ERL to singapore, there's no point about having KUL-SIN flight by MH, AK and SQ. also, there's no point about having Senai (JHB) airport which is also one of AK hub.

Azuddin

well, if they extend ERL to singapore, there's no point about having KUL-SIN flight by MH, AK and SQ. also, there's no point about having Senai (JHB) airport which is also one of AK hub.

Azuddin

JHB , PEN, AOR ( and MKZ, IPH - in smaller context) may still be needed for regional flights. KUL - SIN vv - yes will significantly be reduced.

what would then be : -

more itra regional within peninsular, sumatra and Asean such as :-

IPH / JHB - PLM Palembang

IPH - JHB / KUA

JHB - KBR

JHB - TGG / KUA

IPH - MES

JHB - MES / CGK

MKZ - KBR / TGG / KUA

The above may be operated on regional jets such as CRJs / Emberars / F70

JHB , PEN, AOR ( and MKZ, IPH - in smaller context) may still be needed for regional flights. KUL - SIN vv - yes will significantly be reduced.

Of course they do, but low load doesn't give profit unless MH brought their baby F-50 and DHC to operate some low load flight like KUL-IPH for example. Of course the flight is expensive that's why people prefer highway, when AK come the passengers may increase up slowly.

IPH - JHB / KUA

JHB - KBR

JHB - TGG / KUA

IPH - MES

JHB - MES / CGK

MKZ - KBR / TGG / KUA

All this routes are non-sense, don't expect MH will buy small plane just to operate nonprofitable routes ;)

But JHB to Indonesia can work :)

There no need to extend ERL to way south, first it take a lot of money and the profit is ?????????(questionable) :(

Ruiz, are you an engineer? ;)

You sure sound like one.

There no need to extend ERL to way south, first it take a lot of money and the profit is ?????????(questionable)

Malaysia is fast becoming like the UK - crowded roads and increasing cost of auto ownership. Rails are already making a comeback there nobody thought they would 40 years ago when they closed down the lines. Given the increase in recent fuel prices.....

Edited by H Azmal

Ruiz, are you an engineer? ;)

You sure sound like one.

Malaysia is fast becoming like the UK - crowded roads and increasing cost of auto ownership. Rails are already making a comeback there nobody thought they would 40 years ago when they closed down the lines. Given the increase in recent fuel prices.....

I'm an architect and urban planner.

Transport planning is part and parcel of urban planning. The sad part is (for our nation's benefit), an integrated approach to the transport planning is critical for a nation's success has not been well accepted yet in Malaysia.

The "non sense" route explained earlier may not be acceptable to some people, as the numbers may not be high enough at this moment. But as our population and GDP grows, there bound to be a demand. 737 / A320 may prove to be too big, but the connectivity is nevertheless is important.

After all, our state is going borderless, fences are breaking up. Mind you, one may be working in Malacca, but his wife may be from Perlis and he himself may be from Kelantan is becoming more common these days.

Profesionally, one basic rule of thumb for rail operations (regardless ERL, TGV, LRT or Bullet Trains), Rail services is profiatble once the capital cost has been taken out. But the economic benefits is greater than the said capital cost and better than airports at regional context.

Don't mean to argue, but we have to look far....... and beyond and Money needs to be spend wisely for the benefit of the rakyat.

IPH - JHB / KUA

JHB - KBR

JHB - TGG / KUA

IPH - MES

JHB - MES / CGK

MKZ - KBR / TGG / KUA

i agree, most of malaysia domestic route should be operated by rgional jets like ERJ or CRJ. not all time the 737 flight is full. besides, since the opening of LPT (lebuh raya pantai timur), KUL-Kuantan flight has no point at all, and has low demand. travel with car is even faster.

Azuddin

There is only one little problem with small planes here in Malaysia: some people just don't like anything smaller than a 737 / 320. Remember Asia Pacific airlines with their Fairchid Metros in the mid 90s?

But I hope people will grow up and accept that some routes are best served with small aircraft.

But I hope people will grow up and accept that some routes are best served with small aircraft.

agree, they all thinking that small planes has small range. probably they miss the time that the first A318 which was delivered to Frontier airline made a delivery flight from Toulose to Denver with only a few fuel stops. and didn't notice how the Embrear took the ERJ-195 for tour flight to KUL.

maybe they also didn't know that ERJ and CRJ was built on ER technology, especially which was equipped with winglets. CO express sometimes made nonstop flight for IAH-LAX route. why not malaysia domestic. also, it's nice to see a ERJ-145 and ERJ-195 in MH color.

Azuddin

why not malaysia domestic. also, it's nice to see a ERJ-145 and ERJ-195 in MH color.

No money-no talk

There is only one little problem with small planes here in Malaysia: some people just don't like anything smaller than a 737 / 320.

I thought people don't care what they fly on aka don't care ;)

No money-no talk

sold the 737 and get them. we talk about the logical, not about the money.

Azuddin

CO express sometimes made nonstop flight for IAH-LAX route

Co Express don't serve central to West coast, doubt they ever bring one to LAX which is high dense route, serve by 737/757 :)

sold the 737 and get them. we talk about the logical, not about the money.

Any potential buyer(S), 737 is getting older.............airlines want new stuff which save cost to get more profit.

Asia Pacific airline failed not because of the Fairchild metro they were using. From day one, Asia Pacific airline routes and schedule didn’t match their targeted customers.

Believe most Malaysians don’t have a chance to experience RJ, hence have the wrong perception on RJ.

Personally prefer RJ over A320 or 737 on short haul as boarding and de-boarding time is shorter and has ‘the executive jet’ feel. I believe MH should be using RJ instead of 734 on many domestic routes.

i suppose they can attract the airlines that have stopped flying to kul such as ba, qf, af, nh, ku etc. to melaka. what a waste of good money.....

i suppose they can attract the airlines that have stopped flying to kul such as ba, qf, af, nh, ku etc. to melaka. what a waste of good money.....

What an amazing thought....Would love to see AF,BA,QF etc skid off Malacca runway :p :lol: :D :)

Why Spain's regions owe so much money

Work on a new airport, costing 150m euros in the autonomous community of Valencia in the east of Spain, finished in March last year.

But not a single plane has landed on its runway.

In the city of Ciudad Real, a short train journey south of Madrid, another empty, expensive airport lies empty.

"An airport in Ciudad Real, for what?" says Celestino Suero from CE Consulting, a nationwide Spanish consultancy firm. "No-one uses it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-18277681

At least MKZ fare better.

Edited by KK Lee

Sign in to follow this