MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

A big boost for Sarawak tourism

I on the other hand think Sarawak, particularly KCH has changed and developed a lot, over the years, there are many major development, malls, residencies, etc. Just this year, McD have decided to build 3 McD Drive Thru in Kuching and I even heard the 4th one is coming along.

that's good. but having more McD doesn't translate to more flights, which is what an airport is suppose to handle.

Funny how kch-bki-hkg never got axed...is there anymore bki-can? It used to be kch-bki-can...and the one I truly missed...kch-mnl-tpe!!! Kuching business community is just so boring...sibu tycoons on the other hand open up business ventures like the 328 katong laksa franchise...pelicana chicken...easy drink easy go...even old town is operated by sibu taukeh...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

...is there anymore bki-can?

MH axed that ages ago (resurrected by AK something like a year ago)

Yup, MH tried many KCH-BKI-somewhere routes, not much success sadly

Edited by BC Tam

Many people especially those in government don't realize that Kuching is neither a major business centre nor a tourist attraction that justify airlines mounting more and more flights. The flights are mainly enough to serve Kuchingites leaving for holiday and balik kampung.

Many people especially those in government don't realize that Kuching is neither a major business centre nor a tourist attraction that justify airlines mounting more and more flights

More worrying are those who believe that by putting on more and more flights in/out of a place, business and tourists will naturally follow :D

More worrying are those who believe that by putting on more and more flights in/out of a place, business and tourists will naturally follow :D

These people need to have a reality check. Perhaps going back to school may help.

Many people especially those in government don't realize that Kuching is neither a major business centre nor a tourist attraction that justify airlines mounting more and more flights. The flights are mainly enough to serve Kuchingites leaving for holiday and balik kampung.

Umm I wouldn't say that's true. Sarawak still contributes very high GDP to Malaysia and it's ranked 3rd after Selangor and Johor in 2010 and 2nd per capita after Penang. Tourists arrival into Sarawak still fair and growing.

When I told the Australians I was from Sarawak, they would immediately ask if I were from Kuching and they do know Sarawak & Kuching... no jokes... probably thanks to the CM because they also know about him.

There're almost 30 flights per day between KUL - KCH and they do create nice and healthy competition among MH, AK and OD. I for once now would really travel mostly on MH as MH would give some 200 MYR return tickets, all in!

Umm I wouldn't say that's true. Sarawak still contributes very high GDP to Malaysia and it's ranked 3rd after Selangor and Johor in 2010 and 2nd per capita after Penang. Tourists arrival into Sarawak still fair and growing.

When I told the Australians I was from Sarawak, they would immediately ask if I were from Kuching and they do know Sarawak & Kuching... no jokes... probably thanks to the CM because they also know about him.

There're almost 30 flights per day between KUL - KCH and they do create nice and healthy competition among MH, AK and OD. I for once now would really travel mostly on MH as MH would give some 200 MYR return tickets, all in!

And what's GDP per capita in Malaysia?

Sarawak contributes to Malaysia's GDP thanks to its abundance of natural resources. Given that it still trails behind Penang which has almost no natural resources (relatively speaking) it's truly embarrassing. Let's not even get into the royalty part.

You're right. Tourists arrivals are still growing, but at an uninspiring rate that the airlines said it's just not worth it. From Singapore it started with SQ years back, then 3K, then soon TR, and now MH is pulling one daily flight out. Let's wait and see when AK will do the same. I hope I'm wrong, cuz the more flights there are, the more options I have. But I'm also in the aviation business. At the end of the day the airlines are there to make money. Desire is one thing, reality is another.

Sarawak contributes to Malaysia's GDP thanks to its abundance of natural resources. Given that it still trails behind Penang which has almost no natural resources (relatively speaking) it's truly embarrassing. Let's not even get into the royalty part.

You're right. Tourists arrivals are still growing, but at an uninspiring rate that the airlines said it's just not worth it. From Singapore it started with SQ years back, then 3K, then soon TR, and now MH is pulling one daily flight out. Let's wait and see when AK will do the same. I hope I'm wrong, cuz the more flights there are, the more options I have. But I'm also in the aviation business. At the end of the day the airlines are there to make money. Desire is one thing, reality is another.

AK has double daily KCH SIN vv. Goes to triple daily during festive seasons. I think the demand for KCH SIN has stagnated for the past few years. I can only see it being done via 3 daily flights, not more than that.

Sarawak may have one of top GDP numbers amongst Malaysian states but it is far from being developed. We still do not have a good transport network and we still need RAS services. A good rail or road (or both) network would be preferable. Sarawak's Mulu Caves (a major tourist attaction) is badly served.

So, what good is high GDP if it all goes to one man who does not develop the state for the benefit of its people?

Edited by flee

Sarawak may have one of top GDP numbers amongst Malaysian states but it is far from being developed. We still do not have a good transport network and we still need RAS services. A good rail or road (or both) network would be preferable. Sarawak's Mulu Caves (a major tourist attaction) is badly served.

So, what good is high GDP if it all goes to one man who does not develop the state for the benefit of its people?

Oh dear, if we were to go through this again, it will be another debate of Sarawak is only given mere 5% revenue of natural resources. Remember the case where the speed boat sank during the Gawai where TV3 was reporting the Sarawakians were simply too poor to travel by air so they chose to travel by speed boat? It's a total wrong fact because there were no air connectivity and not even proper road linking the cities to some of the rural areas and they could only travel by boat back to their villages. Shame!

Oh dear, if we were to go through this again, it will be another debate of Sarawak is only given mere 5% revenue of natural resources. Remember the case where the speed boat sank during the Gawai where TV3 was reporting the Sarawakians were simply too poor to travel by air so they chose to travel by speed boat? It's a total wrong fact because there were no air connectivity and not even proper road linking the cities to some of the rural areas and they could only travel by boat back to their villages. Shame!

Yes, we are not known for good journalism! ;)

It does not matter who is to be blamed for Sarawak's lack of development. Afterall, both the state and federal govts are BN...

Some political doctrine made sure people remain poor, uneducated, unexposed, undeveloped and vulnerable, so that people need to depend on the gomen's handout to improve their life :aggressive: :pardon:

So long as they stay in power, very little development will happen, therefore there's very little need to increase flights.

The more tourists (especially eco tourists) visit Sarawak, the more likely protest/boycott/pressure from foreign countries on deforestation. Hence, it is the vested interest of timber businesses that few if any eco tourists visit Sarawak. Guess who control the timber business?

Sarawak's gameplan is not so much eco-tourism, but industrialization... They are banking on SCORE to achieve that..

I can't imagine any smart companies would wanna come in when portions of their earnings have to go to someone's pocket.

I can't imagine any smart companies would wanna come in when portions of their earnings have to go to someone's pocket.

Well.. Time will tell if SCORE will be successful or not...

On the other hand, if Malaysians themselves tell everyone how bad and stupid it is to invest in Sarawak, it won't help either..

Well.. Time will tell if SCORE will be successful or not...

On the other hand, if Malaysians themselves tell everyone how bad and stupid it is to invest in Sarawak, it won't help either..

These Malaysians are just telling the truth.

Sarawak's gameplan is not so much eco-tourism, but industrialization... They are banking on SCORE to achieve that..

With cheap electricity from Bakun dam, many industries is viable. The question is who and how many could secure cheap power supply?

Edited by KK Lee

With cheap electricity from Bakun dam, many industries is viable. The question is who and how many could secure cheap power supply?

There are a couple of heavy industries currently building their factories in SCORE.. How they progress will be important as other investors will be looking.. If they are successful, more will follow suit..

As someone from Sarawak, I'm hoping that it will be successful..

Looking forward to widebody airliner flying into Miri. EIther NRT-BKI-MYY or NRT-MYY-BKI.

Why bother with BKI if it's WB you're looking forward to ?

MH going to do BKI-NRT with the 738 apparently, no news yet of anyone else interested in that city pair :)