MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mike P

Malaysia included in Qantas' Asian strategy

MELBOURNE: Qantas, which recently sealed an alliance with Emirates, plans to expand its network within Asia, working with Malaysia Airlines and other partners.

Qantas on Monday outlined its new four-phase strategy for the Asian market with new destinations being considered including Beijing, Seoul, Mumbai, Delhi and Tokyo-Haneda.

Qantas also plans to provide more frequent flights to Singapore and Hong Kong, as well as, reschedule the departure time of those flights and increase capacity on those routes.

The airline said it hoped to expand its network within Asia by working with local partners such as Malaysia Airlines, Japan Airlines, China Eastern, Jet Airways and Cathay Pacific.

Qantas said the improvements to its Asian services would begin on March 31 and be rolled out in four phases.

Qantas International Chief Executive Simon Hickey said the changes meant Qantas' services to Asia were no longer tied to onward links to Europe.

"The number of dedicated seats on Qantas services to Hong Kong and Singapore is increasing significantly because capacity previously set aside for customers going to Europe via these hubs can be freed up.

"The joint Qantas-Emirates network into Asia gives our customers a fresh set of options, including double daily services to Singapore from Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane," Hickey said in a statement.

From March 31, Qantas will increase capacity on flights to Hong Kong and Singapore by between 10 per cent and 40 per cent, respectively.

More flights would also be available on the Qantas-Emirates network.

Qantas will also schedule earlier arrival times into Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore, with flights brought forward by up to three hours to increase the number of onward connections.

Customers will also be able to fly to Kuala Lumpur on the combined Qantas-Emirates network.

However, Qantas will reduce services between Perth and Singapore to one a day.

It will also cancel its Adelaide-Singapore and Perth-Hong Kong services.

However, flights between Brisbane and Hong Kong will rise to seven a week from four, and daily services between Sydney and Singapore will start in June.

Qantas has also brought forward the end date for its loss-making Frankfurt services by six months to April 15.-- Bernama

Read more: Malaysia included in Qantas' Asian strategy http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/20130204100808/Article/#ixzz2Jv2k2DYa

Not really sure what's up with Qantas's mind, this also not telling what kind of strategy QF is going to make with MH.

Dont get too excited about seeing Qantas metal anytime soon in KUL. They have only announced that they will codeshare with the daily EK408/409

Well. The French are back. The Turks are back. Soon, the Aussies and British :p

Dont get too excited about seeing Qantas metal anytime soon in KUL. They have only announced that they will codeshare with the daily EK408/409

Timing of that flight is pretty horrible though. Departing MEL at 2 or 3am and arriving into MEL at 1 or 2 am each day.

Agree - they do not have plans to set up anything in KUL and their focus is to make better use of SIN. QF will link up Australia to the JQ network in SIN.

As for KUL and the oneworld alliance, BA is more likely to set up something now that its collaboration with QF has been terminated. If BA and MH can work something out, it will mean that BA can tap into MH's network. Afterall BD (before it was taken over by BA) used to code share with MH.

Lets see what happens ...

No quotation but copy and paste the full article again?

Haven't you learnt?

I notice, when I put links on my blog, very very few ppl actually click through. Nobody cares, really. :)

I've already mentioned very clearly in my previous topic. Please do not hate or against me personally since I'm not the only one doing this.

Agree - they do not have plans to set up anything in KUL and their focus is to make better use of SIN. QF will link up Australia to the JQ network in SIN.

As for KUL and the oneworld alliance, BA is more likely to set up something now that its collaboration with QF has been terminated. If BA and MH can work something out, it will mean that BA can tap into MH's network. Afterall BD (before it was taken over by BA) used to code share with MH.

Lets see what happens ...

I still hoping BA and QF would return to KUL someday... QF's chance might be very slim judging on the previous history and experience between these two airlines which really disgusted everyone here. But I believe KUL is really getting the bite of BA, unless the alleged claims of KUL - LHR being a bleeding route is turning from rumour to a trumour.

With QF and EK in a global partnership, their focus will be on making the venture work. KUL will no longer be on its radar other than the fact that EK has operations here.

With QF and EK in a global partnership, their focus will be on making the venture work. KUL will no longer be on its radar other than the fact that EK has operations here.

So passengers wish to travel to KUL from Europe could fly on EK's plane bearing QF's no. What about passengers wish to travel to KUL from Australia, stick to SIN stopover and heading to KUL by 3K?

Don't know - as QF is rather vague about their KUL-MEL code sharing plans with EK. I suppose the best way is for pax to take QF domestic to MEL and then step on board EK's plane in MEL.

MAS-Qantas pact?

PETALING JAYA: After several failed attempts, Australia's Qantas wants to work with Malaysia Airlines (MAS) to expand its network within Asia.

At the other end of the aviation spectrum half-way around the world, however, British Airways (BA) may cut ties with Qantas over its code share. If this materialises, it will augur well for MAS to work towards filling this void on the London-Asia-Australia connection.

MAS group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, when contacted by StarBiz, said, “We are open to the idea of working with Qantas on Asian routes.

“We need to engage it first to fully understand how the proposed partnership would benefit both airlines, given the current partnerships in place. The benefits must also include our customers.”

To recap, MAS and Qantas had failed to strike a deal in the past. The last negotiation in March 2011 saw MAS walking away from the negotiating table because the deal was not in its favour.

But the situation is somewhat different now, as MAS is a member of oneworld and both Qantas and BA are founding members. It was Qantas that had sponsored MAS' entry into oneworld. Rising costs and intense competition have rendered it necessary for airlines to work together in the current climate. As alliance members, they will have to carry each other's traffic. MAS was selected as a member because of its wide linkages into South-East Asia.

The likelihood of a deal being struck now is higher, more so since Qantas, which plies the Australia-Singapore route at the moment, is not likely to partner Singapore Airlines (SIA) for the Asian connectivity since SIA is already allied with Qantas' rival, Virgin Australia.

Qantas announced a new strategy on Monday to work with Asian carriers, including MAS, Japan Airlines, Jet Airways, China Eastern and Cathay Pacific, for its Asian connectivity. It is considering new destinations such as Beijing, Seoul, Mumbai, Delhi and Tokyo-Haneda as well.

Those in the know claim that Qantas may ride on MAS' network to service the South-East Asia region and even for flights into India.

As Qantas reworks its routing and timing, the British carrier may also be looking at alternatives for connectivity into Asia and Australia since Qantas now has a new partner in Emirates.

Both Qantas and BA have a 17-year code-share agreement that ends on March 31. The Australian Financial Review has reported that BA has told Qantas that it would not reinstate the code-share agreement between the two airlines for connecting flights from Asia to London when the agreement ends.

But a BA spokesperson said that “we are currently transitioning our relationship with Qantas and it's nonsense to suggest that we are cancelling all our codeshares.”

All the talks surrounding a possible end to the BA-Qantas code share arose after Qantas entered a deal with Emirates months ago. Under the alliance with Emirates, which is still awaiting final approval from the Australian competition regulator, Qantas flights to London will transit via Dubai instead of Singapore beginning March 31.

That leaves BA at a loss, although for Qantas, the Emirates deal appears to be a significant step forward in fixing its international business.

Hence, it is no surprise, say experts, that BA may look at new arrangements for access into Asia and Australia, with the KL International Airport (KLIA) once again appearing on its radar screens. BA departed from KLIA more than a decade ago, albeit retaining its London-Singapore route.

“In my discussions with BA, it has indicated keenness to come back to Kuala Lumpur, but is still evaluating the viability of its operations. It will also depend on the availability of aircraft and suitable slots,” Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd managing director Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad said in replies to queries from StarBiz.

The CAPA Centre for Aviation, in a report, said code share talks between BA and MAS have not begun, but the two carriers expect to discuss cooperating on the Kuala Lumpur-London route as well as to regional destinations in Asia and points beyond Heathrow.

It added that MAS also had more regional international capacity in South-East Asia than any other full-service carrier except SIA, which is only about 15% larger. MAS has about 10% more seat capacity in the regional international market than Thai Airways and is significantly larger than Garuda and Vietnam Airlines, both of which are more focused on their domestic markets.

BA's return would be a big boost to KLIA, and for MAS, a code share with BA for the London-Asia-Australia sector would help its load factor rise, which hopefully translates into better yields and earnings, said an expert. This is notwithstanding the fact that they have access to each other's network by virtue of being oneworld members.

MAS' passenger load factor for December, at 81.4% was the highest ever in its recorded history since April 2002. For full-year 2012, the figure stood at 74.7%.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/2/6/business/12677021&sec=business

Anything could happen this day hur? With the new leaders of MH, I hope some really good deal between MH and QF or even BA could be inked asap.

I believe every airlines is bleeding, but it was great indeed to see Qantas still able to strive out of the red colour in their margin finance. Didn't know Qantas was also ordering 787 as well. Hmmm... replacement for their small Airbus?

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21528443

21 February 2013 Last updated at 02:13 GMT