MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

United ends 2012 as world's biggest airline, Emirates third. Turkish and Lion Air the biggest movers

United Airlines, following its merger with Continental, has ended 2012 as the world's biggest airline measured by available seat kilometres for the current week, ahead of second placed Delta, whose capacity fell 0.3% year on year, according to Innovata. Fast-growing Dubai-based carrier Emirates is the world's third biggest airline by this measure, and could be in second place by the end of 2013 if the past year's growth rates are maintained.

Southwest Airlines remains easily the largest LCC, while Lion Air and Jetstar have each climbed the LCC top ten, to 6th and 7th places respectively, overtaking Westjet. Atlanta Airport (just) remains the world's largest, ahead of Beijing Capital Airport, in terms of seat throughput for the week, but this ranking seems certain to reverse in 2013.

The biggest movers in the overall World Top 50 list include Turkish Airlines, which jumped seven places to rank 15th globally, while Indonesian carrier Lion Air vaulted 8 places to enter the global Top 40 for the first time. Iberia and India's Jet Airways fell four and seven places in the 2012 rankings, respectively.

Global Airline Alliances collectively grew capacity at higher than the world rate, with SkyTeam expanding fastest of the three majors, although Star Alliance remains easily the largest.

continue reading at http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/united-ends-2012-as-worlds-biggest-airline-emirates-third-turkish-and-lion-air-the-biggest-movers-93047

United may be the world's biggest airline but it is also one of the worst!

United may be the world's biggest airline but it is also one of the worst!

While I am not a huge fan of the new United (I am a huge fan of the old United - they bend over for their elites, especially 1Ks), I wouldn't consider them as one of the world's worst. One of the worst in a developed country, quite possibly. In the world...far from it. :-)

While I am not a huge fan of the new United (I am a huge fan of the old United - they bend over for their elites, especially 1Ks), I wouldn't consider them as one of the world's worst. One of the worst in a developed country, quite possibly. In the world...far from it. :-)

Well, over in FlyerTalk, the main talking point about United is now how they're screwing over their elites (especially the 1Ks).

Coming from a region with a saturation of 4/5-star airlines, of course United will pale in comparison. However, as with all US carriers, the effects of deregulation and market saturation have forced carriers to drastically cut costs in order to stay competitive within the domestic US market if not suffer the same fate as did Pan Am, Eastern, etc.

Most Americans don't complain about what you'd expect from a carrier out here. Instead, it's about getting from point A to point B on time. Can I catch my connecting flight? Am I near the bathrooms?

It's a different mentality altogether.

I did five economy flights last November on United (three internal and two transatlantic) and I was very happy with the service. All flights departed and arrived on time or ahead of schedule. Service at check in and onboard was very good so I would be happy to book with United again. Yes you have to pay for food on internal flights if you want it, but the catering on the transatlantic flights was better than MH or BA long haul economy.

Geoff

I am just 'OK' with United and Continental, flew a few times before the merger both domestically and trans-atlantic.

Swear to the greatest 'Ayah Pin', never on Delta again ....... :finger:

:hi:

United Airlines incurs big 2012 net loss; has confidence in 787

By Aaron Karp | January 24, 2013

United Airlines parent United Continental Holdings (UCH) incurred a 2012 net loss of $763 million on heavy interest expenses and merger-related costs.

The net deficit was improved over a $977 net loss in 2011. The company was profitable on an operating basis, posting $39 million in operating income, but that was down 97.9% year-over-year. “2012 was the toughest year of our merger integration” with the former Continental Airlines, UCH chairman, president and CEO Jeff Smisek told analysts and reporters.

The carrier’s six Boeing 787s remain grounded after FAA’s emergency directive last week, but Smisek said the airline continues “to have confidence” in the aircraft and expects to take delivery of two more 787s this year. He added that neither Boeing nor FAA has provided guidance on when the grounding may be lifted.

“The aircraft is a terrific aircraft … and I have no doubt customers will flock back to it once we get it back up in the air,” Smisek said. “Once this particular issue is solved, it’s solved. It’s just a matter of how much time it takes.”

He conceded United suffered from a poor operational and revenue performance in 2012, but said it has turned the corner and expects more reliable operations in 2013. He added United has achieved an 84% on-time domestic arrival rate so far in 2013; the carrier sunk to a below-80% on-time performance in the middle part of 2012. “We are significantly better today than we were last summer,” he said.

UCH will reduce its management and administrative staff by 6% starting next month, Smisek said, noting the move is necessary because the company is “absolutely not satisfied” with last year’s performance. The staff will be reduced by around 600 employees.

United plans to cut capacity 0.5% year-over-year in 2013 in response to what it expects to be sluggish global economic growth.

The company’s 2012 revenue was flat year-over-year at $37.15 billion while expenses rose 5.2% to 37.11 billion. Mainline traffic decreased 1.3% to 179.42 billion RPMs on a 1.4% cut in capacity to 216.33 billion ASMs. Load factor was down 0.1 point to 82.9%. Passenger yield increased just 0.6% to 14.38 cents.

Source: ATW

Sign in to follow this