MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
zeqa

RBA fleet infomation

Well i was searching for RBA fleet info- I didn't know that V8-BLE & BLD are return to SQ already.

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Royal-Brunei-Airlines

http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/Boeing/777/28526,V8-BLE-Royal-Brunei-Airlines.php

Operator History

Reg

Aircraft Type

Airline

Engines

Config

Delivered

Remark 9V-SVC Boeing 777-212(ER) Singapore Airlines 2x RR Trent 892 C30Y255 16-08-2001 V8-BLE Boeing 777-212(ER) Royal Brunei Airlines 2x RR Trent 892 C30Y255 27-08-2010 Leased from Singapore Airlines

ferried SIN-BWN 27-08-2010 on delivery

wfu 25-07-2012 9V-SVC Boeing 777-212(ER) Singapore Airlines 2x RR Trent 892 C30Y255 29-08-2012 ret

Operator History

Reg

Aircraft Type

Airline

Engines

Config

Delivered

Remark 9V-SVC Boeing 777-212(ER) Singapore Airlines 2x RR Trent 892 C30Y255 16-08-2001 V8-BLE Boeing 777-212(ER) Royal Brunei Airlines 2x RR Trent 892 C30Y255 27-08-2010 Leased from Singapore Airlines

ferried SIN-BWN 27-08-2010 on delivery

wfu 25-07-2012 9V-SVC Boeing 777-212(ER) Singapore Airlines 2x RR Trent 892 C30Y255 29-08-2012 ret

Excess capacity? Since RBA has cut many of their Australia and NZ routes.

How many 777s do they have at the moment?

4 i believe since they lease 6 from SQ originally.waiting for the 787 to come into service next yr.RBA said that they will be the 1st airline to operate 787 in Southeast Asia

4 i believe since they lease 6 from SQ originally.waiting for the 787 to come into service next yr.RBA said that they will be the 1st airline to operate 787 in Southeast Asia

Yes. BI only has 4 772 now. And now these are deployed to LHR, DXB and MEL, all of which are operating on a daily basis. HKG used to get the 772 3 or 4 times a week and both of the flights I took late last year were less than half full. On the return flight from HKG to BWN, there were many Indonesian maids onboard. There were quite a few of Hong Kong residents as well and almost all of the Hong Kong residents on that flight later boarded the flight to BKI, the same flight that I was taking.

Edited by Isaac

Yes-4 triple 777 left & they added an additional a320 is is ex Tiger airways. V8 RBU- I follow this V8 RBU to Singapore.

RBA is really downsizing. Many ex RBA cabin crew ( Expats) are new with Qatar airways now). Many local staff (admin area) also are being reduced.

Are they ever going to wake up and try to make BWN the DXB or DOH or AUH of Southeast Asia ? :p

Are they ever going to wake up and try to make BWN the DXB or DOH or AUH of Southeast Asia ? :p

BKI already having loads of problems doing that. So I doubt if BWN can do it unless the Sultan pumps in a huge amount of cash into airport and airline like what Dubai did.

Isn't RBA owned by his majesty anyway? Don't think RBA will survive at all without him pumping loads of cash...

Seriously, how much of demand can Brunei generate to UK, Australia and NZ other than giving SQ and MH a run for their money...

Edited by S V Choong

Isn't RBA owned by his majesty anyway? Don't think RBA will survive at all without him pumping loads of cash...

Seriously, how much of demand can Brunei generate to UK, Australia and NZ other than giving SQ and MH a run for their money...

They're scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Those who are looking for bargain tickets and do not mind posh amenities. V8- BLD and V8-BLE were the first two B777-200ER to be delivered to BI. Now back in mainline SQ's service. SQ itself is offloading B772ER to Scoot to expand China and Australia, in turn, effectively killing off RBA slowly.

Now with four remaining B772ER left, two are rotate between BWN-MEL, two for BWN-DXB-LHR. No room for going tech. They should have lease A330 back then, which fits their usage perfectly. Nonetheless A330 was hard to come by then, so RBA's then ex-SQ senior manager engineered the deal to lease 6 B772ER.

On a more positive note, BI will be first one to fly B787 in South East Asia. Not bad for a small carrier. Had seen the draft interior pix before, it looks quite normal......a bit disappointing. Not sure if they've changed the layout and design. Hopefully they do!

i believe london n melbourne flights are packed when uni starts or holiday starts.in addition to the transit traffic from elsewhere, I read somewhere that RBA CEO said that 20% domestic demand locally from brunei is good enough,so the rest comes from transit traffic from australia or uk. I believe I also read somewhere that said RBA is somewhere between SQ,MH (premium FSC) and LCC

i believe london n melbourne flights are packed when uni starts or holiday starts.in addition to the transit traffic from elsewhere, I read somewhere that RBA CEO said that 20% domestic demand locally from brunei is good enough,so the rest comes from transit traffic from australia or uk. I believe I also read somewhere that said RBA is somewhere between SQ,MH (premium FSC) and LCC

We call them 'boutique airline'.........lolx!

They're scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Those who are looking for bargain tickets and do not mind posh amenities. V8- BLD and V8-BLE were the first two B777-200ER to be delivered to BI. Now back in mainline SQ's service. SQ itself is offloading B772ER to Scoot to expand China and Australia, in turn, effectively killing off RBA slowly.

Now with four remaining B772ER left, two are rotate between BWN-MEL, two for BWN-DXB-LHR. No room for going tech. They should have lease A330 back then, which fits their usage perfectly. Nonetheless A330 was hard to come by then, so RBA's then ex-SQ senior manager engineered the deal to lease 6 B772ER.

On a more positive note, BI will be first one to fly B787 in South East Asia. Not bad for a small carrier. Had seen the draft interior pix before, it looks quite normal......a bit disappointing. Not sure if they've changed the layout and design. Hopefully they do!

Dont think the govt would like to see RBA close down.on another note, anticipating the new 787 if it goes into service when its about time for my graduation in melbourne

We call them 'boutique airline'.........lolx!

yes boutique airline like bangkok airways haha

BKI already having loads of problems doing that. So I doubt if BWN can do it unless the Sultan pumps in a huge amount of cash into airport and airline like what Dubai did.

No. BKI is in a whole different league and it is quite clear that it never will be DXB/DOH/AUH... not unless it parts away from the Federation of Malaysia which i don't see happening, at least it won't be for the next few decades... lol

And sultan of Brunei pumping in huge amount of cash ? That is precisely what i was suggesting. It's about time that they diversify their investments. The Dubai government realized much earlier that they can't depend on oil forever, so they are/were so aggressive to make what Dubai is today. Perhaps it's time that the Brunei government do the same too :p

Yes. They have never made money since inception. Always good to have overflowing banks accounts :p

If they become ambitious or at least have a vision, then BI might just become the next EK, QR, EY etc :D

Yes. They have never made money since inception. Always good to have overflowing banks accounts :p

Not quite true. Somehow their "financials fell off the back of a truck" and having had a look, they did make some profits in some years, though not in recent years.

Not quite true. Somehow their "financials fell off the back of a truck" and having had a look, they did make some profits in some years, though not in recent years.

That's news to me! This means there is still big hope for this airline. Wake up wake up...

No. BKI is in a whole different league and it is quite clear that it never will be DXB/DOH/AUH... not unless it parts away from the Federation of Malaysia which i don't see happening, at least it won't be for the next few decades... lol

And sultan of Brunei pumping in huge amount of cash ? That is precisely what i was suggesting. It's about time that they diversify their investments. The Dubai government realized much earlier that they can't depend on oil forever, so they are/were so aggressive to make what Dubai is today. Perhaps it's time that the Brunei government do the same too :p

hmm i think i remembered that the brunei tourism chief says that they dont want to go the way of dubai 'mass tourism', instead targeting those tourists who wants greenery and peaceful surroundings.that is brunei's selling point to tourists.

think brunei govt got investments around the world including in KL

If they become ambitious or at least have a vision, then BI might just become the next EK, QR, EY etc :D

hmm i think i remembered that the brunei tourism chief says that they dont want to go the way of dubai 'mass tourism', instead targeting those tourists who wants greenery and peaceful surroundings.that is brunei's selling point to tourists.

BI have tried going the ways of EK, expanding routes here n there but think it fails before so its back to square one now focus on regional flights and have a good look at expansions when the time is right.

think RBA still have the intention to fly back to Taipei and starts Seoul and Narita flights

Edited by Teo

Perhaps it is time for them to rethink their strategy :D

Even KK too :)

BI have tried going the ways of EK, expanding routes here n there but think it fails before so its back to square one now focus on regional flights and have a good look at expansions when the time is right.

think RBA still have the intention to fly back to Taipei and starts Seoul and Narita flights

The Dubai government did not/do not just pour in money into EK, they have spent/is spending a lot of money in their airport infrastructure, the city facilities and many more. The Qatari government is doing exactly the same. So that's a few things they can learn from the Dubai and Qatari government.

I believe that BI should ask its govt. to pursue more open skies agreements with other countries, after they have implemented the ASEAN open skies plans for the airline. BI needs open skies agreements if it is to have multiple hubs in different countries.

The Dubai government did not/do not just pour in money into EK, they have spent/is spending a lot of money in their airport infrastructure, the city facilities and many more. The Qatari government is doing exactly the same. So that's a few things they can learn from the Dubai and Qatari government.

Agreed. It is one thing to have a good airline with good service, quite another thing to attract tourist to spend time at your country during their stop over.

At one stage, I almost flew BI which warrants a stopover at BWN.. then again I thought about the city as a whole. It has less to offer and see compared to SIN, BKK and KUL... That is a put off actually. Most people I spoke to who flew BI before complaint about their airport and how boring the city is. Only thing nice about it, is the price of the airfare! Apologies if this offended any Bruneian...

Edited by S V Choong

Agreed. It is one thing to have a good airline with good service, quite another thing to attract tourist to spend time at your country during their stop over.

At one stage, I almost flew BI which warrants a stopover at BWN.. then again I thought about the city as a whole. It has less to offer and see compared to SIN, BKK and KUL... That is a put off actually. Most people I spoke to who flew BI before complaint about their airport and how boring the city is. Only thing nice about it, is the price of the airfare! Apologies if this offended any Bruneian...

No- You're saying the facts. & many tourist blogs say the same thing about Brunei.

e.g here..

http://flashpackatforty.com/2012/09/17/bypass-brunei-its-boring/

It's a dead town. Nothing to do which is true.I can't deny it. Around 7pm If you drive around BSB. It's really dead .No shops open, few stall that sells, coffee & nasi katok opens. This is the one reason why RBA is not making money. Ozie only use RBA to London & their fares are super cheap I heard. Also good effort by the govt to promote tourism in other country but no effort at all to make infrastructure or invest to cater the tourist eg. Public transportation, taxi, attractive places etc. etc.. What we offer our neighbours can offer better. e.g. Miri, KK etc.

We to reliance on Oil and Gas & most Bruneians are in the comfort zone.

No- You're saying the facts. & many tourist blogs say the same thing about Brunei.

e.g here..

http://flashpackatfo...nei-its-boring/

It's a dead town. Nothing to do which is true.I can't deny it. Around 7pm If you drive around BSB. It's really dead .No shops open, few stall that sells, coffee & nasi katok opens. This is the one reason why RBA is not making money. Ozie only use RBA to London & their fares are super cheap I heard. Also good effort by the govt to promote tourism in other country but no effort at all to make infrastructure or invest to cater the tourist eg. Public transportation, taxi, attractive places etc. etc.. What we offer our neighbours can offer better. e.g. Miri, KK etc.

We to reliance on Oil and Gas & most Bruneians are in the comfort zone.

when you already have a good life, ie: high salary,low crimes,no traffic jams,etc... who cares when your country didnt receive many foreigners? i wouldnt give a damn if my nation's airport and airlines not huge when i already have those good things

when you already have a good life, ie: high salary,low crimes,no traffic jams,etc... who cares when your country didnt receive many foreigners? i wouldnt give a damn if my nation's airport and airlines not huge when i already have those good things

But how long would it last since it's paid for by oil?

I've read a Newsweek article about Saudi Arabia saying how their oil production is estimated to hit its peak, and they soon have to dig into their foreign reserve to pay for their generous social benefits.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

There are traffic jams there though not to KL's standards. The high salary thingy is a perception. Things are not exactly cheap there, but in addition to lack of choices, that's why many flock to Miri, Limbang etc to spend, and to KK, KL etc. Also, many Bruneiains like to spend beyond their means, just to "keep up with the Joneses". Getting personal loans just to spend preparing for Hari raya is not unheard of. The financial system was feeling the strain of such poor habits and some tightening had to be done not too long ago to avoid pitfalls.

Well to be honest- Most Bruneians who works at Government sector & Shell co.(O & G) is the most secure.But they spend beyond their means( having 2-3 Mercedes C class, BMW 3 series, big SUV Prado, Pajero cars etc, go to vacation, expensive furniture) which leads to bankruptcy etc.

There are also many Bruneians salary working at other small private co. is very small( BND 300-800) but good enough for daily living. They survive on cheap food is that is:

1) Indomee

2) $1 Nasi katok.

3) Cheap vegetable like Pakis, Lembiding, beans sprout.

That's why for them going sometimes going to a cinema is a luxury & many need those $1 pirated DVDs, that dominates the Brunei market for years( RIM malaysia is already intervening many DVDs shops & forces many DVD shops close down in Brunei)- Not many Bruneians want to buy 30$ original DVD. Most cars in Brunei roads are the bread & butter cars like the ( Toyota Vios, Daihatsu Srion, Swift, many China & korean made cars). It's very rare to see Ferrari, RR,Porsche, Lamborghini on Brunei roads.

To say everybody is rich & good life- bear in mind Poverty does exists in Brunei. It's a very sensitive subject but luckily Brunei govt is donating money to the family.

Crime? We do have crime but it's not reported to the media.

Sign in to follow this