MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Denny Yen

"Sharing the World, Flying together"

EVA has just launched a new TV ad for its 773ER for its TPE-BKK-LHR and TPE-LAX (to be announced).

Go to this link and click on B777 picture (on left side). Catchy music:

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english#

Gorgeous machine, Denny, but I wonder what's the thing on the horizontal stabiliser? See red arrow below:

IPB Image

.ny

I wonder what's the thing on the horizontal stabiliser?

The elevator was left downward, and hence there appears to the an additional piece sticking out. This is the technical diagram of elevator + stabilizer of 772

IPB Image

IPB Image

The elevator was left downward, and hence there appears to the an additional piece sticking out.

Ach so! Danke schön. Btw, do they store fuel inside the stabilisers too?

Also thanks for the diagrams - now my window seat above the wings will never be the same. ;)

.ny

Btw, do they store fuel inside the stabilisers too?

FYI, I never choose seats near wings, my preference is front of wing or at the tail-end. On the A320, A310, A330 and A340, I could hear the sounds of fuel pumps working below (soundproofing is not as good as 777).

Answer is in the diagram below:

IPB Image

Denny,

Looks like I can come here for revision already. Just to share another mystery here. Seven spoilers on each side. Seven wheels on each side if u divide the plane into half. Theres also another thing about 7 on each side. Not cabin crew, not the amount of toilets lah. This I will find out about. That is why this plane is called 7 7 7. Understand guys?

Looks like I can come here for revision already. Just to share another mystery here.

I just extract things I could find from the book. Still require input from you guys about how things work or reasons behind it.

Something to do with "7" - can star a quiz thread soon, eh? Something to do with hydraulics or wings?

Denny,

Looks like I can come here for revision already. Just to share another mystery here. Seven spoilers on each side. Seven wheels on each side if u divide the plane into half. Theres also another thing about 7 on each side. Not cabin crew, not the amount of toilets lah. This I will find out about. That is why this plane is called 7 7 7. Understand guys?

Sorry for going a bit off-topic here.

747 has 4 engines.

727 and 737, one got 2 engines and one got 3 engines. Which one is which? Can the 707 glide?

FYI, I never choose seats near wings, my preference is front of wing or at the tail-end. On the A320, A310, A330 and A340, I could hear the sounds of fuel pumps working below (soundproofing is not as good as 777).

I remember I heard some pump in action too when I took 9M-MKT from HKG-KUL. I thought it was the brakes in action.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic here.

747 has 4 engines.

727 and 737, one got 2 engines and one got 3 engines. Which one is which? Can the 707 glide?

727 has 3 engines

737 has 2 engines

707 can glide...in fact, all planes can glide, provided you keep speed high enough for wings to provide lift, right captain ?

When you have two engine failure on a 777, hold whatever pitch attitude u can do maintain 260kts and you will get about 2000 feet per minute. Not very glidable in fact.

Not a very desirable thing on a 777 at least because we run a lot on ETOPS rule. Engines Turning Or Passengers Swimming = Extended Twin OPerationS. Talk about this some other time. Its a long long story.

2000 fpm...you're still falling like a brick...albeit with a decreasing speed as you go along...

The airbuses are notoriously known for their majestic, graceful landings...like a swan...i wonder how "glidable" they are.. :rolleyes:

I'm flying TPE to KUL this summer with their brand new A332!

Any guy try them before, heard they have new seat onboard.

Plus, I need some help, I have 5 hours transit and want to exit the airport for a while to visit Taipei 101.........how can I get there real fast(LRT, Subway, shuttle????)

I'm flying TPE to KUL this summer with their brand new A332!

Any guy try them before, heard they have new seat onboard.

Plus, I need some help, I have 5 hours transit and want to exit the airport for a while to visit Taipei 101.........how can I get there real fast(LRT, Subway, shuttle????)

I've taken EVA's A330 NRT-TPE-NRT before. Large PTVs, with superb "Follow the plane" map. It is identical to the ones installed on EVA"s 773ER. However, you will not get A330 Kitty Jet, its just the normal EVA livery EVA A330.

To get to Taipei 101, take the "Airbus" airport bus Eastern Line. It will get you to Taipei Grand Hyatt Hotel, which is loated within walking distance from Taipei 101. The bus is very frequent, every 15 or 20mins. Journey time to Taipei city is 45mins. BTW, EVA also has online check-in and online seat selection. If you use this service, you can arrive about 1hr before departure.

Let me know your arrival dates, and if its weekend/holiday, I may be able to meet you.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate that Denny.

The itenary said that I'll be flying out of LAX at 1:20AM and arrive at 5:30AM at terminal 2(new terminal, better than terminal 1 I used when flying TPE-LAX) arrive on June 6 which fall on Tuesday. I'll be flying the Premium Laurel Class, which I guess the biz class?

Do you think with my 4 hours transit, I'll be able to catch my flight back if I go to Taipei 101? :)

Really dying to see the bamboo tower :p

Edited by Seth K

Thanks for the info, really appreciate that Denny.

The itenary said that I'll be flying out of LAX at 1:20AM and arrive at 5:30AM at terminal 2(new terminal, better than terminal 1 I used when flying TPE-LAX) arrive on June 6 which fall on Tuesday. I'll be flying the Premium Laurel Class, which I guess the biz class?

Do you think with my 4 hours transit, I'll be able to catch my flight back if I go to Taipei 101? :)

Really dying to see the bamboo tower :p

As per EVA ad, TPE-LAX is being changed from 744 to 773ER this year, but no solid indication about start date. Premium Laurel is excellent and really comfortable. If you choose the Chinese menu, meals are served on "bone china" plates, spoons, bowls, etc.

TPE-LAX is always packed, so expect long queue at baggage claim. From my experiene, arrival at 5:30am, you can clear baggage claim/customs control at 6:15pm. Take bus and probably arrive in downtown Tpe around 7:30 or 8:0am (factoring rush hour traffic in downtown and highway into the city).

However, Taipei 101's observatory and open air deck opens around 10:30am or 11am. Does your ticket allow you for 1 night stay, or break journey in Taipei and re-join flight next day?

You can mix taxi (to downtown) and Airbus airport service (to airport). Taxi service is reliable and honest, usually using Toyota CAMRY or Nissan CEFIRO or Nissan TEANA cars. The rate is based on meter.

As per EVA ad, TPE-LAX is being changed from 744 to 773ER this year, but no solid indication about start date. Premium Laurel is excellent and really comfortable. If you choose the Chinese menu, meals are served on "bone china" plates, spoons, bowls, etc.

TPE-LAX is always packed, so expect long queue at baggage claim. From my experiene, arrival at 5:30am, you can clear baggage claim/customs control at 6:15pm. Take bus and probably arrive in downtown Tpe around 7:30 or 8:0am (factoring rush hour traffic in downtown and highway into the city).

However, Taipei 101's observatory and open air deck opens around 10:30am or 11am. Does your ticket allow you for 1 night stay, or break journey in Taipei and re-join flight next day?

You can mix taxi (to downtown) and Airbus airport service (to airport). Taxi service is reliable and honest, usually using Toyota CAMRY or Nissan CEFIRO or Nissan TEANA cars. The rate is based on meter.

How I just wish they change the equipment to 773ER. I hope they do so on my flight(74M)

Well, I'm travelling with parents, already ask them to stay for a day, they want to get to Malaysia as soon as possible, but they let me and my bro exit the airport for a while.

I think we don't claim the baggage until arrive at KUL so I can just proceed to the custom/immigration.I need info about transit/visa too, if you know :)

I just want to take pixs at the 101 and some buy some stuff that's it, I don't really care going into it.

Denny, really thank you for your help, I try to find on the internet, can't find, TPE don't have website :angry:

How I just wish they change the equipment to 773ER. I hope they do so on my flight(74M)

Well, I'm travelling with parents, already ask them to stay for a day, they want to get to Malaysia as soon as possible, but they let me and my bro exit the airport for a while.

I think we don't claim the baggage until arrive at KUL so I can just proceed to the custom/immigration.I need info about transit/visa too, if you know :)

I just want to take pixs at the 101 and some buy some stuff that's it, I don't really care going into it.

Denny, really thank you for your help, I try to find on the internet, can't find, TPE don't have website :angry:

Malaysians now enjoy 30-day visa exempt entry. Be prepared to show your ongoing journey ticket and boarding pass. Usually the Passpost Control officer doesn't ask any question.

You can Malaysian's visa requirements for various countries at this site:

www.kln.gov.my

There is a 1/2 day free Taipei city tour. Let me find out the website. They have special mini-bus for this and take you to downtown and back to airport using it. There is a guide too.

I believe 74M is the combi type, with cargo on passenger deck (in the last few rows). The equipment is quite old. Nevertheless, you're making a good choice choosing EVA instead of CI.

BTW, there is a SQ LAX-TPE-SIN route on 777.

i once flew SIN - TPE - LAX few years back, it used 744 all the way, but the LAX - TPE is on combi type.

nice to hear that they have changed to T7, maybe i should choose EVA again for my august trip to LA :p

Malaysians now enjoy 30-day visa exempt entry. Be prepared to show your ongoing journey ticket and boarding pass. Usually the Passpost Control officer doesn't ask any question.

Checked the website just now, it seems they only allow 14 day visa free period for Malaysian. Was thinking of going to Taiwan to see a friend and Denny :)

You can Malaysian's visa requirements for various countries at this site:

www.kln.gov.my

There is a 1/2 day free Taipei city tour. Let me find out the website. They have special mini-bus for this and take you to downtown and back to airport using it. There is a guide too.

I believe 74M is the combi type, with cargo on passenger deck (in the last few rows). The equipment is quite old. Nevertheless, you're making a good choice choosing EVA instead of CI.

BTW, there is a SQ LAX-TPE-SIN route on 777.

Hah??????I don't even know they have SQ LAX-TPE, just told my parents and they really looking forward to fly with SQ instead, will see :)

I don't really have half-day, but your tips taking shuttle are well considered.

Well, EVA has a new terminal and lounge but will see if I change to SQ.

About the visa, problem is I hold US passport and is it the same, free entry, cuz I prefer free as usual :p

Edited by Seth K

Seth if u must go SQ, why don't ya try the Airbus A345 or TG A345 BKK-LAX direct? Longest commercial flight dude

Can't resist too long flight man. I just found out that SQ and BR biz class rate are the same! But I think I'm going for SQ since they have flatbed and BR has old school :)

Sign in to follow this