MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Travel Experience at LAX

I'm currently planning to go down to LAX-SEA in October & I was wondering if anyone here have any experience going into LAX & transferring to a domestic flight?

FYI I'm travelling on MH to LAX, then AS to SEA. With the MH flight arriving at 2.45 pm, I'm planning to take the 5.25pm AS flight - is there enough time for me to clear immigration, transfer to Terminal 6 from Tom Bradley International Terminal, check-in, go through security and get to the gate within that 2 hours 15 minutes?

Thanks!

I believe that 2 hours is the absolute minimum for transfers from an international flight to a domestic one at LAX, so your transit of 2hrs and 40 mins should be enough. You will have to clear immigration at TBIT, collect your bags and head over to T6 (either by walking or the inter-terminal shuttle). The walk is not long and I would recommend doing this instead of the shuttle bus. You will then have to check in for your AS flight to SEA and drop off your lugage. It may be easier for you to check-in online before you leave KUL, so you already have a boarding pass and just need to drop off any lugage you have.

I'm doing something similar in a little over a week. Flying MH into LAX and connecting to a DL flight to SFO but my transit time is 3hrs and 10 mins.

I'm currently planning to go down to LAX-SEA in October & I was wondering if anyone here have any experience going into LAX & transferring to a domestic flight?

FYI I'm travelling on MH to LAX, then AS to SEA. With the MH flight arriving at 2.45 pm, I'm planning to take the 5.25pm AS flight - is there enough time for me to clear immigration, transfer to Terminal 6 from Tom Bradley International Terminal, check-in, go through security and get to the gate within that 2 hours 15 minutes?

Thanks!

It's tight - the issue is incoming immigration more than anything else. If it's busy (and it tends to be usually around mid morning - not sure about early afternoon) , those immigration lines can be horribly long at TBIT. Once you come out, stick to the right and walk as long as you can on the arrivals level kerbside then take escalator up one level when you reach T6 (don't wait for the shuttle that runs round the ring) - T6 is not that far away anyway.

You will have to clear immigration at TBIT, collect your bags and head over to T6

Not quite correct: If your luggage is tagged through to final destination, you pick up your bags in TBIT, clear Customs, then drop it off at TBIT itself at the drop off counter. No need to drag it to T6.

Actually I won't have the option of checking in online as I'm flying on ZED fare on Alaska, but with that I do have the option of taking a later flight.

Only reason I chose the 5.25 is to get into SEA early and rest - it'll be a long flight from KUL!

There are usually separate counters for transit passengers, and the lines for these are quicker. I know because I had to wait up to 2 hours a few times to clear immigration to exit at LA, but I see the transfer lines move much much quicker with at least double the number of counters. If time is running short, ask them nicely if you could jump queue..., and it would also help greatly if your airline has a luggage drop off at TBIT itself.

Not quite correct: If your luggage is tagged through to final destination, you pick up your bags in TBIT, clear Customs, then drop it off at TBIT itself at the drop off counter. No need to drag it to T6.

Thanks for clarifying. There must be luggage drop-off counters for the various domestic airlines at TBIT.

Personal experience - I would give myself at least 3 hours transit time. Unfortunately, your arrival falls withing peak hours of international arrival at TBIT. Worst still if you are travelling in EY class and seated far back of the aircraft. LAX's CIQ could be a pain in the a$$ and I would not take it lightly. It is a world different compare to the treatment received at JFK, which is just a walk in the park.

The least that you could do to expedite disembarkation, talk nicely to the operating IFS, request to be seated in GCC during descend if that cabin is not full, request your baggage to be tagged with 'PRIORITY' tag during check in and avoid from bringing any prohibited item that requires custom declaration in LAX., not even maggi cup ....... :sorry:

:hi:

LAX's CIQ could be a pain in the a$$

could is an understatement. it IS a pain.

Best place for me to arrive into is SFO. JFK is terminal and time dependent. T4 mid morning is reasonable :)

It's been a long time since I've been through LAX. I'm dreading it. SFO is so much more pleasant. At least I'm travelling in J and I won't have any check-in luggage AND my transit time is 3h10m.

As an Angeleno who frequents LAX, 2' 40" is sufficient for your transfer. MH arrives at the tail end of the peak period (where most Asian flights have already arrived and may have also left back to Asia). You might hit the European traffic more so than the Asian traffic. I have done seat to curbside in 30 minutes at LAX before and I have stood in line for almost 2 hours before too! So, it really depends on when your flight lands.

You want horror? Try connecting at Washington-Dulles between 2 and 4 PM! You'll likely miss a 2 hour connection and that's in the same terminal!

Edited by Craig

After avoiding LAX for over 10 years, I'm about to go through it 4 times in the next few months.

Anyway, it sounds like it may not be too bad during the time MH is supposed to arrive. I just want to be able to get through quickly enough for me to have a shower at the Delta Sky Club. ;)

As an Angeleno who frequents LAX, 2' 40" is sufficient for your transfer. MH arrives at the tail end of the peak period (where most Asian flights have already arrived and may have also left back to Asia). You might hit the European traffic more so than the Asian traffic. I have done seat to curbside in 30 minutes at LAX before and I have stood in line for almost 2 hours before too! So, it really depends on when your flight lands.

You want horror? Try connecting at Washington-Dulles between 2 and 4 PM! You'll likely miss a 2 hour connection and that's in the same terminal!

There's the key difference - you hold an american passport in which case i don't doubt the 2:40 transfer is doable. I'm assuming the OP isn't american in which case the circumstances are wildly different :)

There's the key difference - you hold an american passport in which case i don't doubt the 2:40 transfer is doable. I'm assuming the OP isn't american in which case the circumstances are wildly different :)

Nope. I hold a Malaysian passport with a US visa just like most of you. ;) American passport is a lot easier coming into the US and even easier with Global Entry, but I need to stand in line just like any other foreign nationals.

Nope. I hold a Malaysian passport with a US visa just like most of you. ;) American passport is a lot easier coming into the US and even easier with Global Entry, but I need to stand in line just like any other foreign nationals.

Ah oops. My bad - i always thought of Angelenos as natives of the city of angels :)

Ah oops. My bad - i always thought of Angelenos as natives of the city of angels :)

IIRC, I think Angeleno means people who live in LA :)

It is all depends on your luck actually especially if you are first timer in US soil. My experience with Immigration in Newark, 3 hours. arriving in mid morning. The Q is not long, but the formalities as first timer entering the US took a longer time. After that it is a breeze with the customs as the luggage has been tagged to my final destination Odessa, TX and connection with CO. Just pick up the luggage and drop it again at CO counter and you can do self service check at the kiosk. it is a long 27+hours flight with 3 transits..

After avoiding LAX for over 10 years, I'm about to go through it 4 times in the next few months.

Anyway, it sounds like it may not be too bad during the time MH is supposed to arrive. I just want to be able to get through quickly enough for me to have a shower at the Delta Sky Club. ;)

Hey Josh.. i've been wondering.. looking at your signature.. you sure do have lots of flights almost every 2 days! just curious, what is your occupation to allow you to have so many flights in your life? o.o! if I were to take flights as frequently as yours, I would go broke~

Hey Josh.. i've been wondering.. looking at your signature.. you sure do have lots of flights almost every 2 days! just curious, what is your occupation to allow you to have so many flights in your life? o.o! if I were to take flights as frequently as yours, I would go broke~

LOL! I'm a doctor. I travel a lot around Australia for work and my overseas travel is to attend conferences or go on holidays. I usually spend 2-3 months a year overseas. I admit that I do spend a lot of money on travelling (in comfort)...probably too much! But I enjoy it!! :p

Sign in to follow this