MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

Needles in Sandwich !

17 July 2012 Last updated at 08:45 GMT

Needles found in Delta Air Lines on-board sandwiches

_61611557_sandwich.jpg Needles were found in five sandwiches on board four separate flights (File image)

The FBI has opened an investigation after needles were found in sandwiches served on four Delta Air Lines flights bound for the US from the Netherlands.

The needles, which the authorities said appeared to be sewing needles, were found in five sandwiches prepared by the Amsterdam-based Gate Gourmet.

One person flying to Minneapolis was injured. Needles were also found on two flights to Atlanta and one to Seattle.

Delta said it was taking the matter "extremely seriously".

In a statement, the airline said it was co-operating with the FBI and the authorities in the Netherlands and was working with Gate Gourmet "to ensure the safety and quality of the food" served on board.

James Tonges, who was travelling on one of the flights, said he felt a needle in his mouth after biting into a sandwich.

"When I pulled it out of my mouth it was very clear," he told ABC News. "I cleaned the food off and it was about a one inch-long straight needle."

Delta spokeswoman Kristin Baur told the Associated Press news agency that flights attendants stopped serving the sandwiches as soon as the first needle was discovered, and alerted other flights. Passengers were served pizza instead.

The person who was injured declined medical treatment, said Ms Baur.

A spokeswoman for Gate Gourmet, Christina Ulosevich, said the company had also launched its own investigation and was heightening its own "already stringent safety and security procedures, to prevent any recurrence".

from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18868431

If the mods think appropriate, please relocate to 'Airliners Meal' thread :)

Needles ? That's scary... The guy should definitely get a medical check-up several times over the next few months. The world is full of crazy loons nowadays.

Edited by Isaac

Needles ? That's scary... The guy should definitely get a medical check-up several times over the next few months. The world is full of crazy loons nowadays.

Just hope it wasn't needles from the injection.... of drugs.... that will make people loony...

It's stated there - sewing needles

But even that is bad enough to make people go loony I reckon (and rightly so) :)

Just hope it wasn't needles from the injection.... of drugs.... that will make people loony...

It's stated there - sewing needles

But even that is bad enough to make people go loony I reckon (and rightly so) :)

Yes. It could be a used sewing needles and who knows what it was used on. If I were him (choi3), i'd take extra precautions and do regular check-ups in the next few months. I may sound paranoid but it's better safe than sorry :)

And so he can sue Delta or Delta is going to make some compensation on this?

Just to be safe. You never know but I hope he will not make the claim, ever! If something goes terribly wrong and it was because of the sewing needles, no money can make a difference.

It could be one of those blackmailing method or some malice intention by a disgruntled employee/s.

Airlines would be in extra alert mode now to avoid another happening which could result in high court claims.

Sign in to follow this