MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Tour de South Pacific Island Nations

What's the best way (price, connectivity, duration, etc) to get to the South Pacific Island nations from KUL -- via AKL or SYD? I'm trying to do them in one swoop! :)

tonga.jpg

===

Not really a fan of cruises ... prefer to fly in, free and easy for a couple of days, fly out, ...

You could try FJ via HKG, then on to NAN. But in my opinion (and experience based in NZ) I think better to do this via AKL. There are many opportunities from AKL with NZ, FJ, SB, VA and TN (if you want to go that far). You can even fly to Norfolk Island from BNE or AKL too (last time I checked with NZ website).

Hope this helps :)

What's the best way (price, connectivity, duration, etc) to get to the South Pacific Island nations from KUL -- via AKL or SYD? I'm trying to do them in one swoop! :)

tonga.jpg

===

It all depends on which South Pacific Island Nations you intend to go and the flight timing and connections. Example Fiji would be best to connect through SYD. Niue through AKL. Tonga through AKL/SYD. New Caledonia through SYD. Samoa through AKL. You could also do a double trip with one connection eg. Go to Fiji through SYD spent sometime there then fly off to Samoa through Nadi, Fiji and return from Samoa to KL through AKL. There is twice weekly direct flight to PNG through Spore or you can connect through HK.

Connections through SYD needs a visa, through AKL no visa required for Msian.

Thanks, good tips. Been eyeing AKL too. :)

What about making Fiji a hub? -- go there first, then move around from there.

Edited by Naim

Not possible as there are limited connections e.g to go to Tonga you still need to go SYD or AKL for connection. You can connect to Samoa by Air Pacific and New Caledonia from Fiji but no daily flights. There is really nothing much to see in Fiji except if you are willing to spent at the resorts on the outter islands. You land at Nadi then ship out straight to the islands. To see Fiji history etc you need to go to Suva which is 30 mins by flight or 4 hours by road.

Have fun... :)

Not sure what Tonga's airlines are nowadays. I have a feeling it might be Polynesian Blue (now part of Virgin Australia).

There are Air Pacific flights from Melbourne, Sydney and Auckland to Nadi for your disposal. Even WLG too I think, flown by Air NZ if I am not wrong!?

I have only done Air Pacific Flight from MEL to NAN and return with V Australia's 77W to SYD.

Nadi has not much to see. It is a very small town and the tourists would go to Denarau Island (more like Peninsular) where most of the resorts such as Westin, Sofitel and etc are. There is a jetty at Denarau Island that will take you to all the outlying islands. Very picturesque. Check my TR in MW, Doc.

Fiji will allow Malaysians to stay upto 4 months visa free. Because Malaysian passport is unusual in Fiji, expect some questions by the immigration officer who seemed to prefer Caucasians tourists entering the country (with a friendly smile but not to Asians unfortunately). At least that was my previous experience.

Chookyan, did you notice native Fijian work in a slower pace than Indian Fijians? :)

Edited by S V Choong

Not sure what Tonga's airlines are nowadays. I have a feeling it might be Polynesian Blue (now part of Virgin Australia). Tonga connect at SYD by Qantas to AKL then AKL to Tonga by Air NZ - No direct flights.

There are Air Pacific flights from Melbourne, Sydney and Auckland to Nadi for your disposal. Even WLG too I think, flown by Air NZ if I am not wrong!? Depends on which airline you fly from KL, SYD offers the best connections to Nadi.

Fiji will allow Malaysians to stay upto 4 months visa free. Because Malaysian passport is unusual in Fiji, expect some questions by the immigration officer who seemed to prefer Caucasians tourists entering the country (with a friendly smile but not to Asians unfortunately). At least that was my previous experience. - Talk rugby in the Pacific and you never go wrong. Say 'Bula' and you will never go wrong.

Chookyan, did you notice native Fijian work in a slower pace than Indian Fijians? :) - No comments I had hell when I first started working there. In Fiji Happy Hours starts at 3pm on Fridays... People comes to work in beach shorts n scandals.

People comes to work in beach shorts n scandals I assume u meant sandals :)

opps - Thanks man! the fingers worked on the keyboard faster than the brain... :pardon:

Actually making Nadi, Fiji a hub isn't a bad idea. Air Pacific do fly to Nukualofa (Tonga), Apia (Samoa), Honiara (Solomond Islands), Port Vila (Vanuatu)

http://www.airpacific.com/Pacific-Destinations/Route-Map

They are not flying into Noumea (New Caledonia) nor (America Samoa) though.

From Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney to Nadi you can take Air Pacific (codeshare with QF). The only downside is that FJ's airfare is rather expensive.

Edited by S V Choong

Actually making Nadi, Fiji a hub isn't a bad idea. Air Pacific do fly to Nukualofa (Tonga), Apia (Samoa), Honiara (Solomond Islands), Port Vila (Vanuatu) - From past experience would not recommend to go to Solomon Island as safety is a concern. Port Vila is a beautiful place, the happiest island in the world. SV Choong - u had time drinking kava....

They are not flying into Noumea (New Caledonia) nor (America Samoa) though.- New Caledonia is beautiful, very French

From Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney to Nadi you can take Air Pacific (codeshare with QF). The only downside is that FJ's airfare is rather expensive. - I think Virgin Aus has a connection to Nadi from SYD now. Air Pacific also flies to Hong Kong code share with CX.

Virgin Australia had always had connection to Nadi from Sydney. Initially with V Australia using the 77W and then changed to 738 later on with Pacific Blue (which has become Virgin Aust).

Vanuatu is open for migration, if you have the $$$ for the visa why not, secure a beach front plot which is not too expensive. Is it safe to live there though. I saw an advertisement while in HK earlier this year it says "Move to Vanuatu!". I heard many mainlanders (Chinese) have acquired the resident visas and bought the properties and made the locals very worried!

FJ had retired their only B763 and they are sending their B744 to HKG. The A332 will arrive in 2013, I guess it will cover the routes left by the 744 and 763. Currently MEL and SYD are served by their 738!

New Caledonia is pretty expensive to get there and need to go via SYD with Air Calin.

Polynesian Blue has become Virgin Samoa

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/destinations/destination-guides/

I heard many mainlanders (Chinese) have acquired the resident visas and bought the properties and made the locals very worried!

Should not be a problem that cannot be seen to by bringing out the kava kava :D

Should not be a problem that cannot be seen to by bringing out the kava kava :D

Yep, it certainly help soothing the social anxiety!

Edited by S V Choong

Found this trip report on Air Pacific from HKG to NAN and then onward to AKL on Tabua class (FJ's business class)

http://www.airliners...ad.main/204183/

I wish to do this someday from HKG if I wish to return to Australia or NZ for a trip.

Would like to join you too... :D Looks like the food from HKG is so much better in Tabua class when compared with Tabua class from SYD - Nadi and vice versa that I have had before.

Thanks for the wealth of tips, guys, now I have some ideas -- very challenging objective: widest coverage at lowest cost.

I plan to do this trip some time next year, no more slot for this year. If only I can drift eastwards to Easter Island, and hop over to Galapagos, then South America for maiden trip there. :)

Don't think there is a direct route from pacific islands to Easter island during my search a year or two ago. To get to Easter island, if I am not wrong about it, you have to fly into Santiago first by LAN Chile or Qantas(?)and then go fly westward to Easter island. Flying to Chile from Sydney with LAN involves a stop over at Auckland. It takes 13 hours to get to Santiago from Auckland and airfares is quite expensive. Last check was around NZD $1600 or more due to lack of competition.

Would like to join you too... :D Looks like the food from HKG is so much better in Tabua class when compared with Tabua class from SYD - Nadi and vice versa that I have had before.

From what my chef friend in SQ told me, catering in SYD and MEL are pretty bad. Meals are below average. HKG has a very high standard in catering. Hence you can't go wrong flying from HKG! :)

Have you been to Papeete (Tahiti)? Lots of Hakka Chinese there apparently. You must have tried Fijian Kokoda? Funny taste and smell with the raw fish actually.

Have you been to Papeete (Tahiti)? Lots of Hakka Chinese there apparently. You must have tried Fijian Kokoda? Funny taste and smell with the raw fish actually.

Yes my friend, have been to Tahiti and it is a beautiful place but expensive. There are a lot of Hakka there and chinese food is not a problem. One of the best food in Fiji is the Lovo where meats are cooked in earth pot using a underground oven, it takes a long time to cook but the taste and smell is heaven! Have you eaten taro and bale leaves cooked with coconut milk and meat? Would comment on it until you try it...... :glare:

Suzanne, which airline did you fly into Tahiti with? Air Tahiti Nui?

Bora-bora, I heard, is a very beautiful place. Yes, a major dent to the wallet.

Sign in to follow this