MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

An A320 captain at 26 years old?

I read somewhere that in AirAsia, to be eligible for captaincy, the pilot must have at least 4,000 flying hours and be at least 26 years old ... which set me thinking, because in AK, a beginner starts flying the A320 right away. Can I rely on such a young person to be responsible for 180 ppl and a US$90mil machine. Is he/she mature enough, wise enough, rational enough, decisive enough, etc, esp. in case of emergency?

Properly trained, yes. At one time or another there are plenty 26-27 year old captains in MH on the 737 fleet. As the old saying goes, if you're good enough you're old enough.

Can do a Sully? Young ppl often over-rate themselves, I used to be a high-flying youngster myself once. I can tell a little secret -- something you use everyday here in Malaysia (bigger than AK) was sorta started by my team, I was a brash 32 back then. :)

Edited by Naim

Nice topic,

Long time ago, when i was a co-pilot on the 777, i couldn't wait to be a Captain.

Even when i was on the 737 (before 777), i flew with a captain who is only older than me by 3 to 4 years.

So i was thinking, that maybe someday i will be a Captain before i reach 30 years old.

By seniority in Malaysia Airlines and also promotion movement, i was unable to achieve that.

Hence, when my time comes, i ended up delaying it, i got married and a year later i got my first child.

I delayed for 2 years, only when i reached 35+ years, i took the promotion as a Captain.

I had 9000+ hours before i became a Captain.

I guess, by age and experience that long as co-pilot, i cannot imagine if i become one before 30 years old or the magic Captain 26, with "little" experience.

Now only 2 and half years as Captain, i guess my path to become one is at the right Age...More experience and a better person.

I broached this issue because I read in the press about a 24-yr-old kid who amassed >4,000hrs with AK, and said (paraphrasing a bit), I should be captain by now, but because of procedures and the age 26 requirement, I have to wait, no prob -- no mention of the immense responsibility that entails.

Can do a Sully? Young ppl often over-rate themselves, I used to be a high-flying youngster myself once. I can tell a little secret -- something you use everyday here in Malaysia (bigger than AK) was sorta started by my team, I was a brash 32 back then. :)

Yes, what you say is generally true.

But there are exceptions, though - that KLM B747 Captain that crashed in Tenerife was probably more brash that many 26 year old A320 captains of today...

Much will depend on the individual - some young people are able to step up when thrown in at the deep end. Yet others will crack up. And there are some who are so full of themselves and think that they have become "so great" because they are captains at 26.

At the end of the day, the bosses who promote these people will also have to take some responsibility for selecting them. They should not just use objective criteria like hours and age - they should also excercise some subjective judgement on the suitability of the candidates.

Capt = God

Capt = King

Capt = Boss

Capt = PM

Capt = this is one of the best..."if i am the CEO of mas ah...blah blah blah blah....

Some more to come. These are some character that i have seen in my 19 years flying.

Capt = God

Capt = King

Capt = Boss

Capt = PM

Capt = this is one of the best..."if i am the CEO of mas ah...blah blah blah blah....

Some more to come. These are some character that i have seen in my 19 years flying.

Macam interview kerja pulakkkk....

:)

Capt = God

Capt = King

Capt = Boss

Capt = PM

Hahaha, reminds me of another story. My kid is doing his pre-France engineering course and the Frenchie's grading is so tough that it's something like this (out of 20 points):

20/20 -- impossible

18/20 -- only god can achieve

15/20 -- reserved for best humans

10/20 -- average for humans

Capt = God

Capt = King

Capt = Boss

Capt = PM

I thought this mentality should not exist with the introduction of CRM?

Capt = God

Capt = King

Capt = Boss

Capt = PM

So TK, which one of them is yours? ;)

Edited by S M Tang

Some mature early while other never did...

some got no clue what is CRM..."Captain (is always) Right Management"

What a good way to start my morning by "learning" something about CRM :pardon:

Sign in to follow this