MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Raymund Yeoh

Aircraft Condition

Couldn't find a topic to post these so I created one. MODs if you know of a topic for this do exist, please merge.

Was on 15 Jun HKG-PEN on CX 693 B-HUB B744-467. This plane was really in very poor condition.

IMG_7170.jpg

There is suppose to be some kind of rubber strip covering this area but it was missing

IMG_7171.jpg

Was sitting on 31A bulkhead. On the wing saw paint being chipped off. Is this normal wear and tear or something else ?

Could have been better as a frequent flyer yourself to email your observation + pictures the CEO of Cathay Pacific himself. You would be surprised to see the result ......

:hi:

Could have been better as a frequent flyer yourself to email your observation + pictures the CEO of Cathay Pacific himself. You would be surprised to see the result ......

Do u know the CEO's email add?....wouldn't mind sendin to him to see what he has to say

But the most important thing is CX is still able to make a profit every year and maintain its safety record. Beats some airline hands down.

But the most important thing is CX is still able to make a profit every year and maintain its safety record. Beats some airline hands down.

I hope the profit derived is not from skimping of restoration works on its fleet.

I hope the profit derived is not from skimping of restoration works on its fleet.

My last few flights with CX has been really good and only thing to complain about is the lack of AVOD IFE on their B773. Haven't come across any of this conditions as photographed by the OP. CX is a responsible operator and I believe they won't be skimping any restoration work on their fleet.

I have come across quite a bit of defects on MH aircraft too, MH's ancient A333, B734 & B744 in particular. CX's B747-467 is ancient and they are nearly the end of their useful life. Hence not much of surprise.

Edited by S V Choong

IMG_0171.jpg

9M-MMC sometime last month

Couldn't have been too serious, cause pic was taken during disembarkation

A bit earlier on same flight .....

IMG_0156.jpg

My last few flights with CX has been really good and only thing to complain about is the lack of AVOD IFE on their B773. Haven't come across any of this conditions as photographed by the OP. CX is a responsible operator and I believe they won't be skimping any restoration work on their fleet.

I have come across quite a bit of defects on MH aircraft too, MH's ancient A333, B734 & B744 in particular. CX's B747-467 is ancient and they are nearly the end of their useful life. Hence not much of surprise.

I think you took the non-ER version of the B773 which is non-AVOD......sometimes if you take the B773-ER version, it is AVOD and so is some of the A330 newer versions which comes with the newly installed J seats.....The pix I took is of a B744 which I think is getting really old and they are waiting to take in more B773-ER to retire some of them....Even some of the handles and fittings in the toilet are loosenning up

Most of my flights with CX are mostly A330 or B772 / B773..............most of them are kept is "presentable" condition.....this is the 1st time in 2012 I had a B744

Raymond, pretty lucky you have had the chance to take CX's B744 and B772. I have been trying my luck on those, but always swapped to A343/ A333 or B773 (non-ER) at the very last minute. Yes, AVOD is available on the newly refurb. A343 and the new 77W.

BC, your pic reminded me of my chilhood when I accidentally broke apart the window frame on MH's Fokker F27 in the 80s. I was scared that I was going to get sucked out of the aircraft! :)

Raymond, pretty lucky you have had the chance to take CX's B744 and B772. I have been trying my luck on those, but always swapped to A343/ A333 or B773 (non-ER) at the very last minute. Yes, AVOD is available on the newly refurb. A343 and the new 77W.

BC, your pic reminded me of my chilhood when I accidentally broke apart the window frame on MH's Fokker F27 in the 80s. I was scared that I was going to get sucked out of the aircraft! :)

i'd only did 1 of my cx flights on a a330 & a340... a330 with really worn out cabin and a340 with newly installed seats... most of my flights with cx are in 773ER... with regional seats on board and the same iFE screen as on MH 772s...

i'd only did 1 of my cx flights on a a330 & a340... a330 with really worn out cabin and a340 with newly installed seats... most of my flights with cx are in 773ER... with regional seats on board and the same iFE screen as on MH 772s...

Your regional flight should be a 777-300 non-ER, which means their IFE do not come with on-demand feature. Eventhough they may look similar to MH's B772. CX's 777-300ER has a much better system and they are AVOD as they are much newer. This system is also found on their newly refurbished A340-343X and newer A330-300 which they deploy to Australia and other major Asian cities.

B777-300 (non-ER)

http://www.airliners...90139324304e501

B777-300ER

Edited by S V Choong

For CX B777-300 (non-ER) reg goes like B-HN*

For CX B777-300 (ER) reg goes like B-KP*

so from here u can know what type of plane u r getting before boarding if u see the reg number

All CX B777-200 are non-ER. I have been on quite a number of CX 772 n 773 nonER. The reg number of CX 772 n 773 non ER r quite confusing at times. I hav been on B-HNA n HND n they are 772.

Your regional flight should be a 777-300 non-ER, which means their IFE do not come with on-demand feature. Eventhough they may look similar to MH's B772. CX's 777-300ER has a much better system and they are AVOD as they are much newer. This system is also found on their newly refurbished A340-343X and newer A330-300 which they deploy to Australia and other major Asian cities.

B777-300 (non-ER)

B777-300ER

oh I see, so I only experienced the ER seats once on their A340 hmm... most of times were the non-ER version seats... :) A340 was specially choosen coz it feels like quite rare for this aircraft to do the KUL-HKG... good experience though, but still prefer 773 :D

Please check your PM

Thanks SH, have sent it to Mr CX. Lets wait for his reply.....anyway, I'm flyin again this Sunday on CX and hope to snap more pix of poor conditions to see

IMG_0171.jpg

9M-MMC sometime last month

Couldn't have been too serious, cause pic was taken during disembarkation

Given the emphasis that it was snapped on the way out...

Are you implying that if it was serious, you would have captured the pic during "forced disembarkation" at 29,000 ft? (assuming that we still get to see the pic thereafter)

It will take a lot to get through the critical part to become a serious event. These are just facial wall panels which is "non-structural", I believe.

Edited by S V Choong

Are you implying that if it was serious, you would have captured the pic during "forced disembarkation" at 29,000 ft? (assuming that we still get to see the pic thereafter)

I doubt it very much - likely there would be more pressing matters to see to under such circumstance :)

However, will keep in mind to post here in this forum should ever I come across such a pic - or heaven forbid, I get to capture such a pic :D

Below is the reply from CX Engineering Director on behalf of CX CEO whom I sent the email too

==========================================================================

Dear Mr Yeoh

I am writing to cover the engineering points raised in your email to John Slosar.

On the "dents" you saw on the wing I can confirm that these, while unsightly, are not a cause for concern. These are composite secondary structure panels for which damage limits in the Boeing manual are quite wide. Paint lifting appears to be from the sealant between the panels and again is not a cause for concern. Nevertheless, as a precaution we have arranged to have the paint chip at mid-panel inspected to ensure the surface is not punctured and a potential source of moisture ingress.

On the cabin defects you saw firstly I would like to apologise.

We have arranged for the seat track cover and toilet roller handle defects to be fixed.

On reading light dust accumulation we have recently received a similar report from one of our InFlight Service Managers. We do clean these at regular intervals but we are now looking to clean more frequently.

We take the condition of our cabins very seriously and are always striving to improve. We will not only fix the issues you saw but use the learning to improve our processes to provide defect-free cabins.

Thank you for your feedback which is helpful and valuable,

Best regards

Christopher Gibbs

Engineering Director

========================================================================

Good response and hope they will maintain it more rigorously from now on.

Raymond may be you should have asked them to clean their planes more often! :) The engine cowl ledge or blocker doors of CX planes are so dirty that they have become dark grey rather than aluminium finish!

I'm impressed by fact he volunteered info that there has been similar (adverse) report already ! :)

Sign in to follow this