MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
zeqa

RBA suspends AKL, BNE, PER, SGN and KCH

errrrr... i guess, that wont happen, as we have double daily flight to/from SIN as of now. It is more than enough to have double daily frequency to/from SIN, with tagging to DPS and CGK (soon, SIN will connect CGK, again)

BTW, if I remember correctly, he is Malaysian, Ipoh mali. My RBA ex-colleague based in KUL issued his ticket before (when he was the RBA CEO)and he is holding a Malaysian passport.

errrrr... i guess, that wont happen, as we have double daily flight to/from SIN as of now. It is more than enough to have double daily frequency to/from SIN, with tagging to DPS and CGK (soon, SIN will connect CGK, again)

You never know. Al Baker comes to SIN very often (he's got properties here) so maybe he might just get his team to boost flight numbers.

You never know. Al Baker comes to SIN very often (he's got properties here) so maybe he might just get his team to boost flight numbers.

I agree with Albert. Al Baker is the HOT honcho now in aviation aside from Tim Clark of EK. Slews of new orders and new airport@Doha.... Remember Singapore will do anything to defend its dominant position in competitive Asia airports, no matter what, even to extend of sacrificing SQ itself..... :blink: :blink:

If you talk about Al Baker and his veto power in QR, then yes, we would never know.

However, I am talking about the nature growth, based on analysis we did every month within the company; needs and justification for adding more frequencies to/from SIN.

QR just added the frequency from daily to double daily to/from SIN in last Summer.

BTW, if I remember correctly, he is Malaysian, Ipoh mali. My RBA ex-colleague based in KUL issued his ticket before (when he was the RBA CEO)and he is holding a Malaysian passport.

...and his lov for Hardley Davidsons.... just got his roadster.. hm..

QR needs to increase MEL! Would be good to see QR add a 2nd daily MEL that goes DOH-SIN-MEL at an earlier time than the later QR flight that goes direct. Or DOH-KUL-MEL would be welcomed also!

QR needs to increase MEL! Would be good to see QR add a 2nd daily MEL that goes DOH-SIN-MEL at an earlier time than the later QR flight that goes direct. Or DOH-KUL-MEL would be welcomed also!

Make it DOH-SIN-MEL please! :clapping:

Make it DOH-SIN-MEL please! :clapping:

What is this RBA going to do with QR now? And why DOH-SIN-MEL? No benefits for the Malaysianwingers...

Guys,

Please, put your BI news here, and your QR news in the appropriate QR one, thanks !!!

http://www.bt.com.bn/news-national/2012/01/20/ceo-takes-blame-rba-scenario

STAFF REPORTERS

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN

Friday, January 20, 2012

ROYAL Brunei Airlines (RBA) Deputy Chairman cum CEO said yesterday he takes the blame for the current situation at the national carrier which led to a Staff Separation Scheme (SSS) being offered to selected staff.

Dermot Mannion, in a briefing yesterday has also refuted the claim that the organisation is "forcing" some of its employees to apply for their Staff Separation Scheme (SSS), a training and redeployment programme which will support them in sourcing external career opportunities.

A group of six RBA staff who received the SSS application form voluntarily came to The Brunei Times yesterday evening, expressing their dissatisfaction after being told they had about 24 hours to decide whether or not to ink the application for SSS.

They also voiced their frustrations as to why they were selected and given the SSS application forms and not the Incentive Allowance letter.

They explained the situation they landed in came as a "shock", and claimed that they were forcefully being placed in a position where they had to take the SSS option or leave the company.

Mohd Haziq Hj Mohd Noor, 21, who said he worked for the national carrier as an Aircraft Dispatch Coordinator for over four years, claimed that it seemed if he did not sign the form by the deadline at 5pm today, he would have to leave the company without any benefits.

"I do not feel satisfied because I did not get my answer (during a briefing by the CEO at 10.30am yesterday), and we are all left hanging as to whether we will have a job tomorrow," he said. The 21-year-old employee said he also wanted to know why the organisation selected him, among others, to apply for the SSS programme.

Upon receiving a call 6.25pm on January 18, Mohd Haziq said he was told by his Head of Department to attend a briefing at 10.30am the following day at the Royal Brunei Recreation Club (RBRC) Sports Complex.

He said without disclosing anymore information, he was just told to attend the briefing.

Undisclosed sources voluntarily presented The Brunei Times with a video recording of the briefing that took place yesterday morning, and several memos sent to them by the carrier.

Sound bites of CEO's statements during a briefing with an estimated 100 staff on January 19

In the video of the briefing captured by a mobile phone, it displayed Deputy Chairman cum CEO Dermot Mannion (pictured) explaining to the attendees that RBA was struggling with a current surplus of staff. Also present at the briefing were three representatives of the organisation.

The video also showed several participants recording the dialogue that ran during the briefing.

Mohd Haziq and a few of his colleagues said there was an estimated 150 employees who attended the briefing.

Mannion explained RBA will be "as flexible as we can be" for those concerned in applying for the SSS and having to exit the organisation quickly.

" First of all to give you all the re-training that you require before you go, and also within reason, we will try to give as much flexibility so people have some idea where they might be going to next," he said.

In response to a question raised by an employee whether they will obtain their SSS cheques immediately after the end of SSS programme, Mannion said, "Absolutely yes."

Mannion also explained the rationale for introducing the SSS programme was because the organisation did not require the manpower they currently have to undertake tasks. " We have less work to be done. So we are confident we can run the organisation with a small number of people," he said, adding "There is no easy way to do the kind of job we have to do at the moment."

Along the course of the video which was divided into eight parts, the CEO responded to Mohd Haziq's claim that he was avoiding answering what would happen to those who decided not to ink the SSS form.

Mannion said, "You can direct your criticism against anybody and the management team if you like, but ultimately whether I like it or not, the responsibility rests with me. There is nobody else in this room you can blame for any of this, except me."

"I am responsible for the process that led us to where we are today. You can criticise anybody you like of the management team, but is that going to change the reality we are facing?" he said.

The CEO further explained that any one else in his position would be facing the same circumstances as he currently is dealing with. "We have a surplus of staff and that is what we are struggling with," he said. Mannion stressed that he had not "forced" anyone to take the SSS programme.

A participant in the briefing said he "still believe(s) in RBA."

" I don't want to go. I love RBA. Half of our lives (are) spent at RBA. I'm getting old. Not marketable anymore. Because even if I take the what has been suggested, the SSS and then further training, I am still not marketable," he was quoted in the video as saying.

RBA Memo explains CEO's reasoning for SSS

An unnamed source close to the situation who also visited The Brunei Times yesterday evening presented a memo from RBA's deputy chairman and CEO dated January 18, 2012.

The "Final Notification and Updated Information on SSS" memo quoted Mannion as saying the final closing date for the SSS was today at 5pm.

"In truth, the reality we are facing is that the recent downsizing of our long haul network has given rise to a reduction in the number of work tasks to be performed in all areas of the company."

"In addition, we are under a very strict mandate from our stakeholders to implement a much more rigorous merit based reward system in the company and this process is already under way. This will change the manner in which we work in the organisation which some of our staff may find it difficult to embrace," the memo read.

He noted the programme will contain a wide range of up to 15 modules of new skills training, and that it could be easily customised to meet the needs of individual SSS applicants.

"In order to provide the time necessary to ensure the fullest possible participation in this training and redeployment programme, the company is also prepared to consider requests from successful SSS applicants, who are taking the programme, to defer departure dates by up to one month," Mannion said.

"Overall, I'm confident the support programme we are launching today will provide potential SSS applicants with the confidence they need to manage this important transition process in their lives.

Against this background, I would strongly encourage staff who may be concerned about the future to apply now for the SSS before Friday's deadline," he added.

According to RBA's website, RBA the country's flag carrier, was established on November 18, 1974 as an independent corporation wholly owned by the government of Brunei Darussalam.

The airline provides scheduled services across Asia, the Middle East, Australasia and to the United Kingdom. It also has code-share agreements with Thai Airways International, Malaysia Airlines, British Midland, Garuda Indonesia, and Dragon Air of Hong Kong, its website said. The Brunei Times

My thoughts go out to those affected at RBA - a lousy time to be made redundant in an industry that is struggling. RBA's recent action to axe those Australasian routes seems suicidal as those are the routes feeding its BWN-LHR route.

Let's hope things improve for Royal Brunei ... I fondly remember my flight on its B763ER from Frankfurt to Bangkok in April 1996 - great service.

KC Sim

A tactic employed to shed fats in the airline. Unfortunately, lower rung staffs are usually the victims here. High and mighty connected staffs and suppliers are spared this cut as they are the "untouchables".

RBA's business strategies is odd to say the least but then, it is not a business entity. Its just another Jabatan/extension of the government, in existence to serve the privileged few.

From one hand, it is set to expand to Australasia, and even to China, and now, it contracted to become a regional airline competing with the likes of smaller airliners. Getting volume instead of quality service. A country that have nothing to offer in both tourism value nor services, it has now decided to play in its own backyard and making it less relevant a player in the international scene.

BI GOING DAILY TO MEL! :)

Royal Brunei will begin daily flights between Melbourne and the Brunei capital of Bandar Seri Begawan from March 25, up from the current four weekly services.

The Brunei national carrier is aiming to snare the budget end of the Melbourne-London market as well as flights through to China.

"Passengers have a great link between Australia and Brunei and they’re also able to make the most of Royal Brunei’s extensive network to travel to other locations including Melbourne’s top two long haul markets, the UK and China" said Melbourne Airport CEO Chris Woodruff.

However, you shouldn't be in a rush to get to the UK. Royal Brunei's flight to London has two stops: a three-hour connection in Bandar Seri Begawan, followed by a brief refuelling in Dubai.

From Melbourne to London, flights depart at 1240 and arriving at 0625 the next morning.

Flights inbound to Melbourne leave London at 0940 and reach in Melbourne at 2115 the same day.

SOURCE: TRAVEL DAILY

With such mindset in the board, the workers might as well just take up the offer and leave for more enterprising airliners and forward thinking airliners. No point staying on if one thinks of growing h/er career in this industry. Its pity. If folks like in Qatar which do not have much tourism attraction in their country, except monies and oil just like Brunei, could extend their flights' range and make international impact, why can't RBA? Simple. The folks at the board of RBA are just too comfortable in their fat lumpy chairs.

With such mindset in the board, the workers might as well just take up the offer and leave for more enterprising airliners and forward thinking airliners. No point staying on if one thinks of growing h/er career in this industry. Its pity. If folks like in Qatar which do not have much tourism attraction in their country, except monies and oil just like Brunei, could extend their flights' range and make international impact, why can't RBA? Simple. The folks at the board of RBA are just too comfortable in their fat lumpy chairs.

It is extremely uncommon for local Bruneians to venture abroad & work for another private enterprise.

Agree with Cire. Around 100 staff had taken up the VSS.

RBA now has surplus of B777s. I flew back from BWN just now at 5pm. Previously, the airport would have only AirAsia A320, MAS B737 and RBA A319 berthed at terminal. All three would head to KL within an hour space between each other. Just now, four B777s with abovementioned aircraft were sitting around Brunei Airport; doing nothing. Only one flight demands B777 for the day: BWN-DXB-LHR.

Edited by JuliusWong

Agree with Cire. Around 100 staff had taken up the VSS.

RBA now has surplus of B777s. I flew back from BWN just now at 5pm. Previously, the airport would have only AirAsia A320, MAS B737 and RBA A319 berthed at terminal. All three would head to KL within an hour space between each other. Just now, four B777s with abovementioned aircraft were sitting around Brunei Airport; doing nothing. Only one flight demands B777 for the day: BWN-DXB-LHR.

We will be seeing at least 1 BI 772 used for the MEL daily service, which will be sitting in MEL for about 16 Hours! But BI really has no use for the extra 772's now it had chopped a good chunk of its long-haul network, but its better to have them sitting there then running loss making routes.