MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

Kapit's sorry state - A.net photo

If you go on A.net right now you can see this photo by Rayner among the top 5 photo of last 24 hours. It's now more like a jungle than an airport...

How long the airport has since last seen the last aircraft depart from it?

Even during the height of the airport's operation, it only saw two flights per week, IIRC on thursday and sunday back in circa 1992-1996. It was a transit point for flights from Sibu to Belaga vv. Even during those days, people can just walk and jog on the runway late in the afternoon.

I think if it's really useful it would not end up like this. Take Keningau (KGU?) airport for example. No doubt there is no schedule flight (possibly no flight at all to the airport these days) but some dudes use the airport for ultralight. There is only grass runway there.

At 2 flights per week, there will be a total of 19 X 2 X 2 = 76 passenger maximum per week. Do they need a lavish building for that? But they should keep the runway for GA users. As for passengers, I think they would prefer the riverboat anyway.

Not sure about now, but during those days, express boat fare is quite cheap, RM 15 for a comfortable journey which takes slightly less than 3 hours, and takes you straight into the heart of Sibu town, as opposed to the airport which is a good half an hour away from town centre. Old airport was nearer, but still could not beat the boat terminal.

Yikes! Looks like something out of Jurassic park! :rofl:

Hmmm...no wonder there were a sudden surged in views when i came back and check the photo in Anet, the traffic came from here actually... :lol:

Actually, the airport had not received schedule flights since 1995/1996 thus it's been left abandoned by the authorities due to the low traffic it cater. During its peak period, it handled twice/thrice weekly Twin Otter flights from Sibu to Belaga vv., but due to competition with the express boats and also the difficulty to secure seats in the Twin Otter, the locals then prefered to use the express boats with its cheap fares and guaranteed seats.

Although the airport (i mean the terminal) is now not in use, it still received light aircrafts that are doing aerial survey along the Sarawak/Kalimatan border and also RMAF Nuris that use this airport as a transit to bring supplies to the troops patrolling at the border (saw all of this during my 5 years stay in Kapit pre 1999). And as a matter of fact, the next day after i took these pictures last December, 4 Hornbill helis including 9M-HRM came and landed at the airport bringing the Chief Minister to officiate an event in town.

Early this year in the paper, there were plan to built a new ATR rated airport here due to locals and businessmen here wanted a direct flight to Sibu and Kuching due to long journey they have to take (took about half day trip from Kapit to Kuching) but still no further news about it.

:drinks:

Edited by rayner

Sign in to follow this