MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Malaysian Airports

178278.jpg

I was on my way to BKI from KCH when I had the chance to shoot this airport about 15 mins before landing at KKIA. Does anyone know which airport is this?

Surprising to note KCH - BKI flight actually overfly LBU airport.

I apologize for digressing, not really Malaysian but i thought that this is an interesting airport to share. Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport(CYTZ), commonly called Toronto Island Airport. It's home to Porter Airlines, a regional airline that operates Q400s. Longest runway is just close to 4000 feet, and has a steep ILS into one of the runways (3.5 degrees).

Airport is accessible by ferry. Picture taken approx 1000 feet above from the CN Tower

img4398i.jpg

Edited by Walter Sim

Talking about runways near BKI, is there a new or old landing strip just by the coast on approach to BKI?...I think somewhere between Teluk Penyu and BKI.

Talking about runways near BKI, is there a new or old landing strip just by the coast on approach to BKI?...I think somewhere between Teluk Penyu and BKI.

Yes, I think the photo was posted somewhere in this forum, I think it is actually somewhere around Kinarut-Papar area. The runway surface is dirt.

Yes, I think the photo was posted somewhere in this forum, I think it is actually somewhere around Kinarut-Papar area. The runway surface is dirt.

Do you know more about it? It seems that it now has some form of proper surface, although surrounding it and the access road seems to have a dirt-surface.

You must be talking about Kuala Penyu airstrip (WBKU). Sometimes used by RMAF helos from LBU for training. LBU-BKI flights will be almost overhead of the airstrip.

http://www.fallingrain.com/icao/WBKU.html

The airstrip that I saw was well after Kuala Penyu, and closer to BKI. As you fly past Kuala Penyu/ Pulau Tiga and heads towards BKI rwy 02, the airstrip will be seen on the coast as you fly over land from the sea the first time after passing Kuala Penyu (and then you fly over the sea/ bay area again, before finally flying over land again and then land/ mendarat at BKI rwy 02). (My description sounds very confusing but I hope you can decipher it!)

Edited by Mushrif A

I tried to look it up on Google Earth but in the version that I have, the landing strip looks just like any clearing with dirt-surface. However, recently, I noticed from the air that it now has a paved-surface.

On G-earth; the location is as follows;

Latitude: 5°40'59.81"N

Longtitude: 115°53'53.07"E

I put the coordinates that you posted into G.E.. And yeah, it looks different from any other long straight lines along the coast :D . I think Uncle Pieter can shed light on this as I think he took a photo of an airstrip while on approach to BKI. He posted that in a trip report in this forum.

Sultan Ismail Petra Airport, Kota Bharu, Kelantan - (WMKC\KBR) (1 Jun 2012)

IMG_6076_.jpg

Lahad Datu Airport, Lahad Datu, Sabah - (WBKD\LDU) (17 Jun 2012)

IMG_2855.jpg