MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
fabianz03

Firefly launched new route to Sandakan

Hey everyone ! I'm new to this forum and I'm an aviation fanatic.

As everyone know Firefly will start SDK - KLIA flights starting from AUG 1st with 2 flights a day.

My question is, can the B738 land and takeoff in SDK airport ? The length of the runway is just 7,000ft., while the MTOW for B738 as quoted from Wikipedia is 8,000ft.+

Regards,

Fabian, a true Sandakanite. :)

My guess,B738 can land and take-off at SDK,as SDK runway can accomodate B734.

My guess,B738 can land and take-off at SDK,as SDK runway can accomodate B734.

Really ? I'm quite worried as it's quite a big plane compared to the B734...

When AK used A320 flights to SDK and while they land the bird, they hit the breaks hard, I mean hard. With reverse on full of course.

It just worries me but I wanna try them out 'cause their price is reasonable.

Well you can trust that , if they have decided to launch their route , they've put alot of thought into operating in and out of that airport , and have factored in the limitations of the aircraft .

The new 738's engines are more powerful than the classics as well , and the size difference , between the B734 and the B738 is more or less negligible .

B734 is 36.4m in length , compared to 39.47 on the -800's .... and the diameter of the fuselage is identical on both versions .

Mind explaining what's FFC nd MLC ?

They are the plane's registrations. According to T Ahmad's post, MAS' Boeing 737-800, 9M-MLC will be the next plane to transfer to Firefly and will be registered as 9M-FFC.

Details on 9M-MLC (it was flying for XL Airways before joining MAS on 12 March 2009):

Construction Number: 32690

Line Number: 2250

Aircraft Type: Boeing 737-86N(WL)

First Flight: 18-04-2007

I see, so how many B738's does Firefly own to date ?

EDIT : Oh they only have 3 B738's, is it enough to operate 2 flights SDK-KL KL-SDK daily ?

Or they'll use the ATR's ? Can they travel such distance ?

Edited by fabianz03

According to Firefly, they officially succesed on celebration it's inaugural flight KUL-SDK by yesterday 1st August 2011 using new B738 reg# 9M-FFF.

Firefly Airlines

Firefly celebrated its inaugural flight from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) to Sandakan Airport today. FY 540 departed Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 7am today and arrived on time at Sandakan Airport at 9.45am.

We would like to thank the people of Sandakan for such a warm welcome.

Stay tuned, for pictures of the event will be uploaded in a couple of days :)

Here some pictures captured by Abdul Rahman Abdullah, MAS SDK engineering during arrival of inaugural flight KUL-SDK. Credit to him.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.259755830717751.83638.100000500070932#!/photo.php?fbid=259758127384188&set=a.259755830717751.83638.100000500070932&type=1&theater

After SBW last month; it's SDK turn to receive the FY B738 :clapping:

And they're sending FFF to SDK as well :lol:

News article from THe Star:

SANDAKAN: Firefly is aiming for 100,000 passengers a year on its new flight from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport to Sabah's “gateway to wildlife” Sandakan.

On its maiden flight yesterday, the airline had a rousing start with 90% of seats filled.

Its managing director Datuk Eddy Leong said Malaysia Airlines, which owns Firefly, would stop flights to Sandakan following the start of Firefly's new flight.

“The main reason for this is to have a low-fare product, which makes it easier to spur more arrivals into Sandakan,” he said.

Leong added that the new flight would be able to carry more passengers as it uses a larger aircraft, seating 189, compared with 144 passengers previously.

“This is part of the MAS group's re-organisation process to serve customers better,” he said, adding that Firefly's route to Sandakan would contribute between 10% to 15% of the company's profit.

Leong said the airline hoped to introduce flights from KLIA to Tawau, Miri and Bintulu next year, when it acquired more aircraft.

Sabah Tourism Board chairman Datuk Seri Tengku Zainal Adlin said the board was aiming for 2.63 million tourist arrivals to the state this year, which would generate a revenue of about RM4.7bil.

“Sandakan is the state's gateway to wildlife and has the first and largest orang utan sanctuary in Sepilok.

“It is also famous for the Turtle Island Park, where you can see turtles laying eggs all year round,” he said.

He added that Sandakan was also famous for its seafood and the Kinabatangan river, which is home to the richest wildlife in the world.

Firefly is currently offering travellers a promotional all-in fare from RM29 one-way to Sandakan for the booking period until tomorrow.

The promotion is for the travelling period between Aug 10 and Oct 20, this year.

MAS, Firefly jointly increase capacity on KL-Sandakan route

News 2011-08-01 14:51

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 1 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and its fully-owned unit, Firefly, have increased passenger seat capacity on the Kuala Lumpur-Sandakan route to meet the increase in demand for leisure travel between the two cities.

In a joint statement today, they said Firefly would commence twice daily non-stop services between the the two cities effective today using the latest 189-seater B737-800 aircraft, to offer 2,646 seats weekly in each direction.

Meanwhile, MAS would offer once daily KL-Sandakan flight via Kota Kinabalu and twice daily Sandakan-KL flights via Kota Kinabalu using its 144-seater B737-400 aircraft, it said.

MAS executive vice president for commercial stratevy, Datuk Dr Amin Khan, said both airlines had teamed up to improve connectivity and capacity between the two cities as there was potential for increased leisure and holiday travel on this route.

The statement said MAS and Firefly would offer a maximum capacity of 3,654 seats weekly for KL-Sandakan route and 4,662 seats for Sandakan-KL.

Meanwhile in SANDAKAN, Firefly Managing Director Datuk Eddy Leong said the company was eyeing to fly 100,000 passengers yearly on its new KL–Sandakan route.

"Mainly, we are targeting to attract tourists, both domestic and international," he told reporters.

"Our code share agreement with MAS will enable customers to purchase Firefly tickets from MAS' distribution network worldwide," he said.

Sandakan is the fourth airport that Firefly operates in Sabah/Sarawak, after Kota Kinabalu, Kuching and Sibu.

The community airline plans to open three new routes, namely to Tawau, Bintulu and Miri in 2012.

1) The SDK-KUL via BKI is just a waste of time seriously.

2) I tried to do a mock booking on MAS website for KUL-SDK last week, no Firefly flight was shown or available for booking.

3) Tried to booked SYD-SDK flight with my travel agent last month and was told that their system could not book the KUL-SDK sector! I ended up have to book it myself thru their website for that sector.

Definitely not user friendly.... just too much hassle... used to do SYD-SDK in a single tic thru MH.

Cheers

Malaysia Airlines

Malaysia Airlines and Firefly, have increased seat capacity on the Kuala Lumpur-Sandakan vv route. This is made possible with Firefly commencing twice daily non-stop services between the two cities offering a total of 2646 seats weekly. Malaysia Airlines will complement this by offering once daily Kuala Lumpur – Sandakan flight via Kota Kinabalu and twice daily Sandakan – Kuala Lumpur flights via Kota Kinabalu

Malaysia Airlines And Firefly Jointly Increase Capacity On Kuala Lumpur-Sandakan Route

http://malaysiaairlines.listedcompany.com/news.ihtml/id/262509

Thanks for the link,Teo CK :drinks:

Just noticed that during the KUL-SDK inaugural flight,a water salute was given to that flight.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Thanks for the link,Teo CK :drinks:

Just noticed that during the KUL-SDK inaugural flight,a water salute was given to that flight.

yup, rare but spectacular.

yup, rare but spectacular.

more video can be found here..... FY will disappear from east m'sia soon after the recent much talk about share swap bet MAS & Tune Air.