MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Kong

Best airline for in-flight meals

From Skyscanner:

Emirates (pictured) has been scored as the best airline for in-flight meals according to a recent survey by international flight comparison site Skyscanner.

emirates_food_1.jpg

This eastern flavour proved to be popular with air passengers, with six of the top ten airlines based in the Middle East and Asia.

North American carriers are conspicuous by their absence in the rankings. Four European airlines made the grade, with Lufthansa coming runner-up and flagship Russian carrier Aeroflot taking fourth place. However the national airline for France, a country renowned for its culinary expertise, only just scraped into the top ten.

The survey of 1,200 people asked respondents to rate their in-flight meals based on three categories; taste, presentation and choice. An overall classification was then calculated for each of the 35 airlines featured in the survey.

The top ten highest scoring airlines (in ranking order) were:

1. Emirates

2. Lufthansa

3. Singapore Airlines

4. Aeroflot

5. Qatar

6. Malaysia Airlines

7. Thai Airways

8. Etihad

9. KLM

10. Air France

emirates_food_2.jpg

“Emirates is passionate about providing great in-flight cuisine and we see it as a crucial part of our product offering. Individual menus are carefully planned for each route we serve to ensure we cater for the diverse cultures and preferences of our international customers,” said Robin Padgett, Emirates' Vice President - Aircraft Catering. “It is particularly rewarding to have received this accolade directly from the most discerning of judges - the travelling public.”

Skyscanner Director Barry Smith said: “Airlines are definitely placing more importance on the quality of food they serve. Although there are some notable exceptions, airlines are making huge efforts to provide good-quality meals, with many even appointing celebrity chefs as consultants.

“It is interesting to see these Middle Eastern and Asian airlines ranking so highly. Airline food is notorious for being bland and perhaps it is the use of these strong eastern flavours and spices that is contributing to their popularity. Possibly it’s also because exotic flavours get people in a holiday mood!”

Looking at the pictures, it's all about Business-Class meals, right ? :huh:

No mention whatsoever in the text... :nea:

Surprising to see KLM ahead of Air France... :pardon:

I suspect the respondents are majority Europeans or Europe-based. Hence, the results are skewed. I would personally rate NH (not in list - prob. due to relatively less flights into Europe) higher than LH.

We don't know the demographic of the respondents & the flights surveyed. Thus, some will make sense & others are widely open for verification.

surprised to see aeroflot at number 4! the world has gone crazy

Maybe they serve caviar on board. :p

What we get back in cattle class, I have come to conclusion it's all hit or miss with regards to palatability of in-flight meals. The 'famishness' index also plays a big part in one's perception of course :)

I am assuming when you pay for premium classes, you at least get the assurance of consistency in quality, or otherwise :D

Edited by BC Tam

I like that BC!! lol ... i think aeroflot probably starves its passengers more and when they finally get their black bean soup and roll, they don't care anymore!

... i think aeroflot probably starves its passengers more and when they finally get their black bean soup and roll, they don't care anymore!

Black bean soup and roll, I have no idea what that may or may not taste like, but I guess I'll take a risk and opt for that than the caviar that WP suggested (personal preference of course !) :D

Actually it's not so much the world having gone crazy I think, more like the new world order taking root :D

it is really surprise that I couldn't see Turkish Airlines instead of a few airlines on the list! I wouldn't expect in first 5 but shoud be in top ten. Honestly, LH, Airfrance and Aeroflot are not deserve to be part of this list.

C'mon Guys,

Aeroflot is nothing like the Soviet-era airline anymore...

Take a look at this TR of a Business-Class trip from Volgograd via Moscow to Paris

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/185966/1/

and, you should agree that by being part of Skyteam, they have to adhere to certain levels of service... :pardon:

Sign in to follow this