MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sri Ramani K.

64 flights affected due to air traffic system failure at KLIA

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/2/18/nation/20110218205036

KUALA LUMPUR: Sixty-four flights were affected Friday due to a three-hour partial systems failure of the Air Traffic Management (ATM) System that controls all departure and arrival of aircraft at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said the partial systems failure, which occurred at 8.30am, was caused by a problem with the common database in the ATM system.

This resulted in air traffic controllers having to input the flight data of aircraft departing from KLIA manually instead of it being done automatically, he said in a statement Friday.

He said that to ensure safety, aircraft departing KLIA were regulated to depart at five-minute intervals.

The system recovered partially at about 10.50am, and full recovery was achieved about 11.30am, and air traffic control operations returned to normal.

"Since the failure occurred during early the morning rush, 64 departures from KLIA during this period were delayed," Kong said.

The minister said he instructed the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) to conduct an in-depth investigation into the incident. - Bernama

I hope none of you were stuck during this period. Some were even delayed for over 3 hours ++!

Some flights were delayed for up to three hours. Some had the passengers disembarked due to the fact that delay was undetermined, so once they are able to depart, they were unable to do so immediately.

My own flight to JHB was delayed too, but only for about half an hour.

Second such major failure in recent times right?? I recall recently RADAR also failed..

Hope DCA invests more cash into new ATM facilities and equipment.

My mom was stranded at KCH for more than 4 hours!

Finally, her MH flight cancelled and she was transferred to FY.

According to her, FY check-in systems goes haywire and further more delay.

So FY flight was full with existing pax and additional MH pax.

Arrive in KUL 20min behind schedule.

I think they should install Backup Radar if anything happend like this situation

Sign in to follow this