MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Royal Brunei Airlines news

I live in Tawau prior to moving to NZ. Yes I am absolutely sure of it. How can I missed out the Boeing company livery with the three letters "757" at the tail?

Remember the 757s have short runway capability and the engines are powerful enough.

I have even got photos to prove it but not now as they are in Tawau still. Don't think the 757s went to Sandakan according to the local newspaper.

It attracted local attention and my father brought us to the airport specifically for that occasion.

:o :o Wow...then that must be something. Great memories and dun forget to post it once u got hold of the pics :p Regardless how long it took. hehe

yeah sure Adrian. I will have to get it from my house in Tawau when I go home later this year........ I still owe BC Tam (Bing Chu) some of the untitled Fokker F-27s photos on a barge. BC, I still remember. :D

Edited by S V Choong

Heh heh, glad you remember SV !!

I reckon the demo 757 would not have been too heavily laden, guess old TWU would have had no problem coping. Those fully loaded 732's and 734's would be another kettle of fish though

I remember a chartered Air2000 was supposed to fly direct to SDK once but somehow got diverted to BKI (by chance I was driving alongside runway when she arrived) Not sure if the bird did eventually make her way to SDK though

Correct BC, the 757s demo only had a few Gwai-lows onboard when it landed at old Tawau airport. Boy, the 757 sure is a superior performer with her powerful engines! The 757 demo had PW engines onboard.

It was one hell of an experience on the 732s and 734s when they landed on the wet runways of old Tawau. Always kept quite and prayed for our safety....

Should be quite smooth now over at the New Tawau International airport.

Old boeing aircraft that not in service likely to be use as military purposes ex. 757,707,747 etc.

Except the 777-200 demo (No. 1). Boeing converted the demo to 777-267 for Cathay Pacific. Engine was changed from PW to RR. It was the first time Boeing did such a conversion. All Boeing test aircraft have 00 as customer code and this particular a/c was changed to customer code "67", for the first time.

Looks like the 757-200 demo will be going to the Smithsonian aviation museum at the end of her fighter test programme :)

Edited by S V Choong

yeah sure Adrian. I will have to get it from my house in Tawau when I go home later this year........ I still owe BC Tam (Bing Chu) some of the untitled Fokker F-27s photos on a barge. BC, I still remember. :D

Hey SV, wassup with the untitled F27? It's Fokker, so I'm interested to know :p

Adrian, I have mentioned at ArrogantMalaysia ages ago that I recalled seeing some photos taken by my late father during the early 80s. It appears that two Fokkers F-27s in complete white colour sitting on his barge appeared to be ready for sea transportation. One F-27 on each barge with half of the wing taken off. While the engine is still mounted with part of the wing which is connected to the fuselage. The propellers too were taken down from memory.

I remember them being the F-27s as they are the exact ones I used to take from Tawau airport. I have a pair of sharp eyes for planes and chicks since my childhood. So I am afraid they are F-27s. The place where they transported could have been Tawau, Sandakan, Kota Kinabalu or Lahad Datu as my father used to have a few projects across these townships.

The question I guess is.....Why is it sitting on a barge? The F-27s should be able to fly from the Peninsular to Borneo across South China Sea. I don't know if they are the earlier F-27s from MSA sold to the Indonesian (Kalimantan) side, but thats a possibility. Even so..... don't think it requires a barge for transportation. Weird...... Could have been scrapped off and transported to somewhere by sea, thats a more likely scenario.

Anyone knows what happened to the F-27s inherited from MSA?

My father told me a sentence or two about the Fokker F-27s but was too young to fully digest what he told me. Then I have never asked him and I don't have a chance to ask him now. Should have asked him when I still have a chance. I will ask my uncle and see if he knows anything about it. He has close business relations with my late father. Fingers cross.

I was going to get the photos last year when I went back to Tawau for Chinese New Year, but couldn't get the keys to the storage and had little time after that. So hopefully I will be able to find it later this year.

Edited by S V Choong

I promise last time to post a pic of RBA F50 somewhere in the forum...since this post is about RBA...so I just post it here :p

Behold! RBA (ex-)F50

IPB Image

STRICTLY FOR SHARE ON MW ONLY.

Edited by Adrian M

Ohhhh....my goshhh..... didn't know they have the Fokker F50s too. Where would they fly to? Bintulu, Miri, Labuan and KK?? I think they did have the Fokker F-27s at one stage as well didn't they?

Yup,they did fly the F50 to bintulu albeit for only a short while.

The type also didnt stay long with the fleet. Got replaced by Fokker 100 which also didnt last long. :(

I missed u, RBA :mellow:

So did they do routes for LBU and MYY after they replace it with F100, DO228 by Borneo Airways were doing RBA F50 routes.

So did they do routes for LBU and MYY (F50). After that, they replace it with F100 for routes to BKI n KCH, DO228 by Borneo Airways doing RBA F50 routes.

*It's either I can't find my edit button or I'm really blind. ^^;

Ohhhh....my goshhh..... didn't know they have the Fokker F50s too. Where would they fly to? Bintulu, Miri, Labuan and KK?? I think they did have the Fokker F-27s at one stage as well didn't they?

!!!! i remember i took a fokker once from KCH to BWN!

i got served FISH WITH RICE with Sehat mineral water..

!!!! i remember i took a fokker once from KCH to BWN!

i got served FISH WITH RICE with Sehat mineral water..

Sehat mineral water..? That's very borneo-ish LOL

Adrian, i think Sehat mineral water is one of the brunei drinking water manufacturer. coz i remember that last time my cousin always buy this brand de water, also the packing very islamic one. if my memory serve we right la... :p

Adrian,

i've just check this out. the Fokker V8-RB2, which is now PK-RAL for Riau Airlines, is actually a special type of fokker. you familiar with this type? it has only one service door at the back, probably coz the dont have galley at back? if i'm not mistaken, the RBA fokker galley all in front right?

Yes I cetainly remember RBA F50 doesn't hv a rear door...and it's stated so in RBA timetable seatmap back in the days...I can scan it but I need to witch hunt for that old timetable. XD

Theres a couple of different versions of F50 out there. Particularly like this one. I seen last time on A.net and I stil remember the rego until now LOL.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0047936/L/

Edited by Adrian M

Yes head on ;-) Based on F27-500. And also strengthens the new wings, new engines, relocated air-inlet, new dowty blades (Love'em 6 blades Mm-hmm), 2 tires nose gear, modifided vertical tail fin, tail points and main gear metal handle (the one near absorbers), square windows and of course drop down staircase on the front (my fav). Modern interiors. Hmm...thats about it that I can list out. :p

And a little thing near the vertical fin right after the rear door also different and I dunno what it's called.

F27 diversity even worst. But I hate the front cargo door. Ick..

Edited by Adrian M

Dash 8~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U gotta win the business. ATR seriously need to take away the front corgo door and put staircase in front. I wonder they allow custom modification? Then it's another diversity of ATR72 exclusive for MH (if they do win it) :p

I dislike the Dash 8 as the ones I took a few years ago in NZ do not have a toilets. I went from Wellington to Christchurch and back which takes about 1 hour of flight. So you have to endure or suffer for the whole one hour. The later Dash 8 might have a toilet on board, but I will rather see MAS' Fokker F-50s to be replaced by Embraer 170/190s. Time for some new stuff instead of sticking to the traditional stuff.

Dante, in contrast, I love the F-27s cargo hold :) There are quite a few F-27s version too. The early ones "Mark-100" I think have shorter noses, MSA used to have a couple. While MAS' F-27 are those of Mark-500 which have longer noses.

Edited by S V Choong

I guess 1st ERJ flight will attract lots of LHD people to the fence. hehe. But seems like ERJ is out of the competition, guess leaves ATR n Q400 to compete. If I'm not mistaken Q400 also have STOL capability.

Unless Rekkof are able to start and upgrade to a more modern tech, fuel economical, more pax, powerful engines and more farther F50, F70 and F100 Next Generation. Since the demand are high, they are converting F100 to F70 now from what I've heard. And research RR engines to fit into F100.

Unless Airbus willing to give a hand, which it's quite impossible.

.. And research RR engines to fit into F100.

Fokker70 and -100's are already fitted with RR-engines (Spey 620 or 650), unless you mean complete new RR's fitted to these Rekkof planes ?

Complete new RR engines.

Coincidence or not but today's article in "de Telegraaf" (http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/28098271/Herstart_Fokker_lijkt_dichtbij.html ) might give the Fokker (or Rekkof) fans new hope after a long period of silence from Rekkof. For me the only news in the artice is that KLM relplies to an interview from "omroep flevoland" (http://www.omroepflevoland.nl/NISwww.nsf/ItemOverzicht/1C1A160786BB5396C12570AD006DDBEC?OpenDocument) by saying they are still intrested in the new Fokker, but just don't want to be launching customer. Is there still a future for the Rekkof project without any firm orders?

Fokker Services is investigating the possibility/benefits to install winglets. This will give a considerable improvement in fuel consumption. More details are expected to be given on the next Operator Conference, later this month.

Fact remains the Fokker Jets might be aged but still offer a large cabin and a very well designed human-machine interface. Should the rumour that the Jets can be fitted with a next generation engine saving 30% fuel chances that Air France KLM might be interested will increase significantly. Presently there are about 70 Fokker Jets in the AF-KLM fleet and think about the costs related to introducing a complete new type to replace those 70 Jets. A next generation Fokker Jet (Rekkof or Stork build) would at least save enormous amounts of money on training. At present I have the privilage to fly the Fokker 70 and the Fokker 100 and I can say I enjoy every minute of it. So as far as the user point of view is concerned: I hope miracles still exist and that this fairytale might turn out to be a dream come true. Why should we have America as the only place on this planet where "it can happen"?

Copied from Fokker.info forum.

Edited by Adrian M

Sign in to follow this