MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Ryanair to turn away passengers who don't print pass

Ryanair plans to refuse travel to all passengers who forget to print out their boarding passes after the low-cost carrier was banned from charging €40 to print the passes.

A spokesman said yesterday that the airline was discontinuing the service and passengers would not be able to pass through security unless they had printed their own passes after checking in online.

The warning was issued after a Spanish court ruled that charging fees for reissuing boarding passes was illegal.

Ryanair said it planned to appeal the "bizarre and unlawful" decision of the Spanish court, which found it was wrong to impose "unfair" fees on passengers who failed to print out their own boarding cards.

Last week, Judge Barbara Maria Cordoba, of the Barcelona commercial court, said airlines, and not passengers, were obliged to issue boarding cards. She took the decision in a case brought by Dan Miro, a lawyer who objected to being charged €40 after he failed to print his boarding card before a flight.

"The normal practice over the years has been that the obligation to issue the boarding card has always fallen on the carrier," she ruled. "I declare unfair and therefore void the contractual clause in which Ryanair obliges the passenger to be the one who brings the printed boarding pass to travel or face a penalty of €40."

Ryanair said it will base its appeal on the fact that passengers agree at the time of booking to check in online and print their own boarding cards.

"Should a passenger arrive without their boarding card, then they are not entitled to fly, and there is no obligation on Ryanair to provide them with replacements," an airline statement said.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-to-turn-away-passengers-who-dont-print-pass-2501838.html

Forty Euros to print a boarding pass? That's just highway robbery!

It is supposed to be a fine/punitive charge to encourage people who self check in to remember to bring their boarding passes. But now it is even more costly, cos they won't allow the forgetful people to board the flights!

Good decision by the Judge. If they made a reasonable charge of €2 or maybe even €4 then I could partly accept Ryanair's logic on the basis it wants to cut costs. But €40 is a blatent rip off.

When you are travelling you don't want the hassle of having to find somewhere you can print a boarding pass.

Anyway not an issue for me - never flown Ryanair and I have no plans to fly with them. Plenty of other airlines to choose from.

Geoff

Re: asian LCC - I can accept most of whats of offer from AK, TR, 3K etc these days but I pray that thaey dont go to the extremes that Ryan Air do.

Good decision by the Judge. If they made a reasonable charge of €2 or maybe even €4 then I could partly accept Ryanair's logic on the basis it wants to cut costs. But €40 is a blatent rip off.

When you are travelling you don't want the hassle of having to find somewhere you can print a boarding pass.

Anyway not an issue for me - never flown Ryanair and I have no plans to fly with them. Plenty of other airlines to choose from.

Geoff

They even charge you 6 Euros for online-checkin...

So, when checking-in but forgetting to print or loosing your print will be a total of 46 Euros !!! :finger:

For instance:

No Taxes

Depart:

Eindhoven 14:15

Arrive:

Faro 16:15

1 x Adult 49.99 EUR

Fare: 49.99 EUR

Online Check-In: 6.00 EUR

Taxes / Fees: 0.00 EUR

» Taxes and Fees 0.00 EUR

Total Price: 55.99 EUR

No Taxes Adult

49.99 EUR

Only 4 seats left at this fare Wed19 Oct 11

FlightFR 7412 14:15 Depart

16:15 Arrive

I remember quite a few times where I've checked in online and then discovered that I couldn't print out the boarding pass either because there was a bodgy connection to the printer or there was something wrong with the printer itself, which meant I couldn't print anything out. Ryanair are definitely in the wrong here. I also think it's outrageous to charge people to check-in online as well!!! Well, I'll never fly with them, so not a problem for me. AK can also do what they like and follow Ryainair if they want to. It won't bother me coz I'll never fly with them too. :finger:

Sign in to follow this