MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

Kota Bharu Airport upgrading.

Kelantan State gomen is more business friendly than BN controlled state gomen, for a start petty traders are not harassed by local authorities. Without a port, it is difficult for FDI to set up plants in Kelantan.

Incidentally, to reduce export cost e.g. minerals, the Sultan is investing personally to develop a port in Kelantan.

There is only so much petty traders can do boost economy. I hardly ever see kelantan gov promotes their economic policy. When PR boasts about Kelantan, it is almost always photos of their MB's humble dwelling. Invariably there will be a photo of a large mansion owned by someone connected to BN for comparison. Other photos that i have seen were like the MB went for some cheap haircut. Nothing about how they are going to promote economy growth. Kelantan gov needs to do more than that to show that thay are business friendly.

It's not fair to compare Kelantan and Penang investment climate when clearly it's only the last election the Peal of the Orient fell to PR. Penang being Penang, is completely different from Kelantan, if you want to compare what kind of investment commitment made to Penang compared to Johor since last GE, you'll get the picture. Even the Penang Bridge, was approved for construction during Pak Lah time in the office and it was Gerakan which helmed the state government then. Penang Airport expansion can't be considered direct Federal investment, even though it is being done by GLC (MAHB). If you follow the news carefully you will realize, how Penang Sentral project have yet to kick off, mind you the original bus station was razed by fire in 2001. The project was approved during Pak Lah time.

Economic development and progression starts from the smallest unit of economy, that is, a household. A conducive environment for petty traders to do business provide the base for stronger and more sustainable economic growth, the economy will be more resilient since most of the demand will come domestically and wont be affected. Try imagine if one day, price of oil drops, many OnG will have to adjust production, even suspending operation. What will happen to now-vibrant town of Kerteh and Terengganu, at large.

Kelantan i believe has done their part to attract investment. It's more than presenting their case. Of course potential investor will ask about amenities. Steady power supply, highway networks, good airports, good seaports, gas line, tax breaks etc. If basic things can't provided by the Fed, how can they prosper?

Kelantan i believe has done their part to attract investment. It's more than presenting their case. Of course potential investor will ask about amenities. Steady power supply, highway networks, good airports, good seaports, gas line, tax breaks etc. If basic things can't provided by the Fed, how can they prosper?

If you believe Kelantan has done their part, that's good but you also need to give clear example. I cant think of much effort by the state gov to promote their economy. Have they asked or fight for any of investment? Even the oil revenue is fought by tengku razali. In my view, they score terribly on the report card.

They actually initiated the fight for oil royalty before Ku Li came and support their cause. It was covered in non mainstream news portal. Sure, if you only rely on what's pop out on the TV and mainstream newspapers, few or almost none being said about their efforts.

Even without the Fed support, the airport traffic continue to grow at faster pace than its neighboring east coast state. Putting politics aside, that warrants bigger fund and commitment from MAB to upgrade the airport.

They actually initiated the fight for oil royalty before Ku Li came and support their cause. It was covered in non mainstream news portal. Sure, if you only rely on what's pop out on the TV and mainstream newspapers, few or almost none being said about their efforts.

Even without the Fed support, the airport traffic continue to grow at faster pace than its neighboring east coast state. Putting politics aside, that warrants bigger fund and commitment from MAB to upgrade the airport.

You may say Ku Li stole their thunder, or they did such a terrible job that hardly anyone noticed them. Any campaign will have to be well thought, planned and orchestrated. So far, I haven't seen such level of sophistication yet. So they have to thank Ku Li for fighting for their oil royalty.

Regarding the airport, I agree, if the needs are there, it should be upgraded. The Kelantan gov should lobby for it too.

If you believe Kelantan has done their part, that's good but you also need to give clear example. I cant think of much effort by the state gov to promote their economy. Have they asked or fight for any of investment? Even the oil revenue is fought by tengku razali. In my view, they score terribly on the report card.

Penang airport is undergoing major renovation..

The impression I get of the Kelantan state gov is that they are just not business minded or business friendly... Very religious though.

If you are business minded, investments will pour in by federal gov, local and overseas investors.

Are u very sure Kelantan govt is like that? "not business minded or business friendly"??? then if they r not good,how come they able to win the majority vote from the Kelantanese people every GE? AND NO! Not because of they r very religious only but there must be "something else" that make majority people love them.

Edited by dean hizudy

Are u very sure Kelantan govt is like that? "not business minded or business friendly"??? then if they r not good,how come they able to win the majority vote from the Kelantanese people every GE? AND NO! Not because of they r very religious only but there must be "something else" that make majority people love them.

For a start you can look at the private house of the current Kelantan MB and compare it with the private house of the previous Selangor MB.

For a start you can look at the private house of the current Kelantan MB and compare it with the private house of the previous Selangor MB.

That's what I've mentioned before. Politicians like to "show off" their good points. So whenever PR wants to "show off" Kelantan, it's going to be photos of the MB's house, invariably compared to a mansion owned by someone in BN for the ultimate comparison. Other photos that I've seen included the MB went for some budget haircut, bought something from the market.

It's good to show humility but you need to show something else. It's not good enough to be a MB just to show humility to others, you need to lead and improve things.

I hardly remember any mention of their economic policy or how they are going to improve things. Ever.

PR "supporters" may think they doing a brilliant job, but if you are a genuine supporters, you have to say they are doing a terrible job.

Kelantan is so backward economically and the problem is no one is giving a hoot. Not even Anwar Ibrahim.

For Sarawak, he promises huge oil royalty, for students promises of free education and loan, for people wishing to buy foreign cars, then cheaper cars. Even Anwar Ibrahim doesn't spend much effort in Kelantan. It's his fixed deposit.

If you don't fight to improve yourself, then no one is going to help. This is what I think Kelantan gov is doing terribly.

Cheng Long,

Perhaps, and just perhaps only for I have nothing to substantiate this - perhaps the majority of Kelantanese voters place priority on parochial sentiments over promises of economic advantages promised by BN ruled Fed govt (as of now anyway) ? If so, it is something politicians will milk to their advantage, whether in opposition or govt

I live in Sabah and have lived through the period when state govt was in opposition to the Feds - just like it is in Kelantan now

And yes, the parochial sentiment card was maxed out then

The sickening part of it all - those same politicians (well, many of them anyway) who were spitting vile words towards the Feds back then are nowadays singing tunes of praises at every opportune moment :)

Cheng Long,

Perhaps, and just perhaps only for I have nothing to substantiate this - perhaps the majority of Kelantanese voters place priority on parochial sentiments over promises of economic advantages promised by BN ruled Fed govt (as of now anyway) ? If so, it is something politicians will milk to their advantage, whether in opposition or govt

I live in Sabah and have lived through the period when state govt was in opposition to the Feds - just like it is in Kelantan now

And yes, the parochial sentiment card was maxed out then

The sickening part of it all - those same politicians (well, many of them anyway) who were spitting vile words towards the Feds back then are nowadays singing tunes of praises at every opportune moment :)

Guess so.. I don't know anyone from Kelantan to know why they chose PAS.. Maybe it's parochial sentiments.. They sure live through a lot of hardship. Have to admire their stamina.

Anyway, hope their airport will be upgraded among other things if the needs are there.

Thanks dean hizudy for the links. That proves a lot from the saying that only Fed govt can give development.

I am hoping this airport get what it deserves in due time.

Thanks dean hizudy for the links. That proves a lot from the saying that only Fed govt can give development.

Welcome! Perhaps there are some others development projects that on the top of Kelantan govt list eg:the highways and the current KBR airport still able to accommodate the total number of passengers in a year so there is no need in rush for it. Give way to much more important projects first.

Well, the state gov clearly can do better. Note I didn't say only Fed gov can give development but for the state gov to be more proactive. Me criticising PR doesn't mean I'm pro BN, there is a big difference.

The MB attended a couple of majlis and ceremony. Some of them like opening of warehouse are not even newsworthy. Opening of new township is now so common, it's like another day's business in other places. If these are all, then good luck. It's no wonder the numbers show the state is getting left behind. All I'm saying is get out there, get heard and achieve greater heights. If you think that they are doing a brilliant job, that's fine, I rest my case.

YAB Tok Guru way of developing the state is by making sure it is developed in tandem both 'physically' and 'spiritually', unlike certain politicians who emphasised more on 'physical' development only, neglecting the moral and spiritual, which resulted in many social problems like our society experienced today (this is a separate topic and of course debatable).

Whether it is acceptable to a 'true believer' or 'free thinker', that is besides the point. It seems that his idea of 'tandem development' was well received by majority of Kelantanese.

Personally, no leader is perfect but I am his long time fan and endorsed his style of management,

:hi:

He sure does have a lot of supporters. I'm sure he is a good person.

BTW, according to RPK, there is a lot of prostitutes, females and males, in KB. I never been there before, if that's true, I'm not sure about the social problem, moral and spiritual part. Maybe RPK knows where to look.

As a general statement, if one stroll high n low for prostitutes, you'll find one even in Kelantan with the nickname Serambi Mekah or anywhere else :-).

I believe the den somewhat developed into KB Sentral today if memory serves me right. Yes, RPK was right if he meant something like 20years back. It is a part of history now, unlike certain area in KL which remains active until now.

Please correct me if the fact was incorrect in anyway. Btw, on the topic, let's hope the airport would be upgraded really soon.

Edited by Azrin A

Callgirls? Even in Mecca of Saudi Arabia also got.

Based on first hand knowledge?

Joking only...

Hahaha, source is a resident there. I only went to Mecca 2x -- in '88 for umrah (on way home after working in Germany), in '03 for haj. Enough already. :)

Authorities refute claims KKIA runway unsafe, in dispute with Ting
By Clara Chooi
Assistant News Editor
December 19, 2012
The Transport Ministry has refuted all claims that the KKIA was unsafe. — File pic
KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 19 — Putrajaya today refuted a claim by Sarawak construction magnate Tan Sri Ting Pek Khiing that the runway at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) was unsafe for take-off and landing, insisting here that it has been certified safe by local aviation authorities.

In a Bernama report yesterday, the Sarawak tycoon announced that Global Upline Sdn Bhd has stopped all works to develop KKIA closed the airport runway, blaming the Transport Ministry for failing to issue the Certificate of Practical Completion (CPC) to the firm for completion for one of its work packages at the airport.
Without the certification, Ting said the KKIA was not safe for any activity as it has not been recognised as complete.
“The Transport Ministry vehemently denies GUSB's statement claiming that KKIA is unsafe for airlines operations,” the ministry said in a press statement today.
“The Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), which is the authority to establish airport standards, and Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB), the airport operator, have confirmed that KKIA complies with the International Civil Aviation Organisation's (ICAO) standards.”
The ministry added that the DCA conducts periodical monitoring of the KKIA runway and has found it that it has duly complied with stipulated standards and is fit for operations.
It also urged the public not to be afraid of safety conditions at KKIA or its airlines operations, giving its assurance that necessary measure will always be taken to ensure their safety.
The ministry then explained that the airport contractor was issued a Certificate of Non-Completion and Liquidated Ascertained Damages (LAD) for failing to complete in totality works in section one of the works by the April 30 deadline, maintaining that this in accordance with the terms and conditions in its contract.
In his statement on Bernama yesterday, Ting had said that GUSB had “practically completed” section one of the works but was still issued the CNC and LAD.
Section one includes the runway extension, resurface of existing runway, new taxiways A, C, D, E and K, installation of a 7km high tension cable and three automated pump stations, according to the Bernama report.
The article also quoted Ting as claiming that the ministry had also to pay RM113 million contractual claim for the upgrade of Kuching International Airport and RM21 million for Labuan Airport, leaving GUSB with no choice but to commence legal action to recover the outstanding payment.
But in response today, the ministry argued that the contractual claim had already been rejected by the government.

Authorities refute claims KKIA runway unsafe, in dispute with Ting
By Clara Chooi
Assistant News Editor
December 19, 2012
The Transport Ministry has refuted all claims that the KKIA was unsafe. — File pic
KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 19 — Putrajaya today refuted a claim by Sarawak construction magnate Tan Sri Ting Pek Khiing that the runway at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) was unsafe for take-off and landing, insisting here that it has been certified safe by local aviation authorities.

In a Bernama report yesterday, the Sarawak tycoon announced that Global Upline Sdn Bhd has stopped all works to develop KKIA closed the airport runway, blaming the Transport Ministry for failing to issue the Certificate of Practical Completion (CPC) to the firm for completion for one of its work packages at the airport.
Without the certification, Ting said the KKIA was not safe for any activity as it has not been recognised as complete.
“The Transport Ministry vehemently denies GUSB's statement claiming that KKIA is unsafe for airlines operations,” the ministry said in a press statement today.
“The Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), which is the authority to establish airport standards, and Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB), the airport operator, have confirmed that KKIA complies with the International Civil Aviation Organisation's (ICAO) standards.”
The ministry added that the DCA conducts periodical monitoring of the KKIA runway and has found it that it has duly complied with stipulated standards and is fit for operations.
It also urged the public not to be afraid of safety conditions at KKIA or its airlines operations, giving its assurance that necessary measure will always be taken to ensure their safety.
The ministry then explained that the airport contractor was issued a Certificate of Non-Completion and Liquidated Ascertained Damages (LAD) for failing to complete in totality works in section one of the works by the April 30 deadline, maintaining that this in accordance with the terms and conditions in its contract.
In his statement on Bernama yesterday, Ting had said that GUSB had “practically completed” section one of the works but was still issued the CNC and LAD.
Section one includes the runway extension, resurface of existing runway, new taxiways A, C, D, E and K, installation of a 7km high tension cable and three automated pump stations, according to the Bernama report.
The article also quoted Ting as claiming that the ministry had also to pay RM113 million contractual claim for the upgrade of Kuching International Airport and RM21 million for Labuan Airport, leaving GUSB with no choice but to commence legal action to recover the outstanding payment.
But in response today, the ministry argued that the contractual claim had already been rejected by the government.

This is the KBR thread. Not BKI, nor LBU or KCH.

Taken this photos early morning during flight back to KUL. Just a small upgrading at departure hall, no more glasses wall and some kiosk was added.

_MG_5068__zps7f5c39bf.jpg

_MG_5065__zps72732054.jpg

_MG_5061__zps2de78e12.jpg

_MG_5069__zps9911f6fc.jpg

_MG_5066__zps0079272b.jpg