MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
iwan

RMAF open day Kuantan 2010

finally uploaded my pics from yesterdays open day at the Kuantan airbase!didnt sleep on the day before because of the 'very interesting' England match..left home at 5am so naturally i KO-ed at 8pm once i reached home yesterday..

anyway here are some of the pics taken..

heres how the road actually looked like on our way there..

RO197947.jpg

was surprisingly greeted by the man himself..darth vader!ready to 'wiawwww' off any suspicious looking people.. :lol:

RO197948.jpg

Igla placed at a strategic location just beside the tarmac..how convenient..

RO197950.jpg

The R73 missile up close..looking straight into the infrared detector..

RO197953.jpg

the PC-7 with the nuri in tyhe background..the latter was 'showing off' throughout the day!

RO197957.jpg

Nuri at the pick up zone..

RO197965.jpg

commandos taking a ride on the nuri

RO197962.jpg

the macchi looking cute and elegant!

RO197968.jpg

PC-7 lagi

RO197972.jpg

MiG-29N..love this plane although it does look like it was put together with a sledgehammer..

RO197976.jpg

RO197997.jpg

tiba2 these 3 planes did a flypast and caught me by surprise! :blink:

RO197984.jpg

the hornets

RO197990.jpg

RO198002.jpg

the love of my life.. :p :wub:

RO197994.jpg

more to come.. :)

Edited by iwan

flying pics were horrible because of the combination of the sun being on the opposite side of the runway and my mediocre photographing skills.. :sorry:

the 3 planes did another flypast but this time the MiG was changed its position..weird actually..

RO198013.jpg

The MiG coming in for landing..

RO198028.jpg

hawk came in next..

RO198044.jpg

mb-339m on landing

RO198051.jpg

the 'lowered' aermacchi looking good on the ground with the hawk in the background!

RO198067.jpg

now the hawk with the SEXY MiG in the background! *droool*

RO198073.jpg

i felt like running to the plane and hugging the landing gears,but then....

RO198084.jpg

those guys did it first.. :( :( :(

RO198089.jpg

Hawk Pilots getting ready to disembark..

RO198101.jpg

is that.....is that.....is that???Maj. Patricia yapp????????FOXYYYYY!!! :give_rose:

RO198110.jpg

.......... :search: :(

RO198117.jpg

i found this funny..i thought i was the only guy who liked to pose like that.. :lol:

RO198122.jpg

Edited by iwan

i sure hope they NEVER retire this plane..she just looks to good to be dumped at universities an army camps..

RO198139.jpg

The SEXY MiG being towed away...seriously id offer to pull the plane myself as long as i had a chance to get up close again.. :lol:

RO198155.jpg

a C-130 coming in out of nowhere..

RO198164.jpg

MAS trying to get some publicity.. :p

RO198159.jpg

The Nuri who tried to 'corner baring' and decapitate a number of spectators..note the guy in red running away!haha! :lol:

RO198200.jpg

"erm..captain..i think we scared away quite a few guys there.."

RO198204.jpg

hawks preparing for take off before what i would say was surprisingly an interesting show..

RO198212.jpg

hawk flypasts..

RO198230.jpg

oopssss...

RO198244.jpg

"oi tekan minyak sikit!"

RO198252.jpg]

solo past by all three hawks..

RO198272.jpg

The MiG trio were up next..again,pictures were not as sharp as id expect them to be..

RO198289.jpg

where the name came from..put this on the road and u wouldnt pass a single roadblock..

RO198311.jpg

it was disappointing that the MiGs put on such a short and simple show considering the fact that these guys are normally the 'show-stealer'..honestly even the single hornet did a more interesting show..

RO198332.jpg

landing pics

RO198362.jpg

RO198369.jpg

pilot yg macho..i want to but the suit and helmet and just walk around in pavillion..

RO198389.jpg

RMAFs latest acquisition..the 'supersonic' Biplane ORG-30..

RO198395.jpg

shows were hours apart so gave a lot of attention to the static display..plenty of pics but no 'privacy' at all since there were to many people posing around the planes robbing me off my 'quality time' with them.. :(

climbed up a small hill to get a picture of cik-Su..sexiest thing alive after gemma arterton..

RO198445.jpg

just found these writing on the wingtips interesting..

RO198453.jpg

RO198454.jpg

Edited by iwan

the parajumpers/paratroopers/paragliders/parapara sakura doing their stuffs..

RO198459.jpg

RO198466.jpg

C-130 again out of nowhere..it seemed like they were trying to get every plane coming in to perform a flypast to fill in the schedule.. :lol:

RO198472.jpg

got a chance to meet Major Sebastian Williams aka 'arrow' after hearing about him for soo long!turned out to be a really nice guy..chatted with him for awhile..awesome! :yahoo:

RO198482.jpg

then the hornets came along!!they looked spectacular with the three external fuel tanks although i did wonder why they needed it considering how short the distance was from butterworth to kuantan..the sun was in a better position making life a whole lot easier for me..

RO198492.jpg

RO198493.jpg

"HELLOOOOOOO"..WSO waving to the crowd..the pilot must be annoyed.. :p

RO198494.jpg

RO198495.jpg

just LOVED the sounds of the hornets..they always have that special zooming sound that is absent in all the other aircraft!

RO198496.jpg

RO198501.jpg

RO198510.jpg

coming in for another pass with gears up..

RO198519.jpg

natures mini-airshow.. :)

RO198532.jpg

Edited by iwan

the hornet went home after the performance and the skies was silent once again..the performance were not back to back like it was in LIMA so it involved ALOT of waiting..

then i heard a familiar sound..ran as near as i could to the runway..the crowd thought i was crazy but i was greeted by the best scene ive ever seen in my life!

SHE WAS FINALLY HEREEEE!! :yahoo:

RO198540.jpg

i was smiling so wide while clicking away and i was thinking..omg..this is not happening!!SHES NOT FLYING OVER ME!!

RO198544.jpg

BUT SHE ALMOST DID!!and who said drugs and alcohol are the only things that can get u high?? :lol:

RO198545.jpg

RO198546.jpg

RO198548.jpg

RO198547.jpg

both planes came in doing a toucn and go..note the name zahid for our defense minister zahid hamidi who had a ride in this bird recently..lucky him!5

RO198555.jpg

RO198560.jpg

second MkM coming in for a touch and go..this guy didnt really do a touch and go since his wheels didnt even touch the runway before he started pulling up..

RO198583.jpg

doing another touch and go..

RO198603.jpg

A few boring fly past after that,one of the pilots came in from straight ahead..was a wonderful sight for me!!!

RO198609.jpg

followed by my shot of the day!!

RO198616.jpg

the second MkM flew past and chased after the previous one going home to gong kedak i assume..

R0196818.jpg

was smiling and waiting for more after that but sadly the planes went home..went back to kl after that..34 hours without sleep,my legs were aching and i had a beautiful tan but it was WORTH IT!i just missed the MkM too much! :clapping:

some of the pictures were bad for what reason im not sure..used 1/1000 shutter speed and 1/5.4 aperture but still most of the pictures were either blurred,over exposed or under exposed..hope can get some tips from the sifus here.. :)

btw,heres how the dummy cockpit looked like compared to the one in lock on..

cockpit.jpg

where do i submit my resume to be a pilot again? :p

Edited by iwan

Excellent coverage, Iwan :clapping: Is that a USAF C-130? Seems no RMAF markings on it :huh:

thanks!forgot to mention about the USAF c130..there was one on static display..

RO198457.jpg

RO198456-1.jpg

believe it or not,i was so distracted by the fighters that only now i forgot that i didnt even take one full photo of the C-130.. :(

Edited by iwan

Excellent COVERAGE!!! A real open day i would say! :good:

Excellent COVERAGE!!! A real open day i would say! :good:

i would say LIMA 09 was better although it was quite boring also..the MiGs and Su-30as didnt really do any interesting maneuvers..more like a repeated flypast than an airshow..

Bro.. your Nuri trying to chop people's head shot, I suggest you give it a shot at A.net... power!!!, need help editing.. pm me :good:

Good coverage Iwan... :good:

worth the trip to Kuantan...

You managed to get the USAF C130 full body.... on approach... ;)

As for some blurry shots eventho' speed at 1/1000s,

probably auto focusing not fast enough...

BTW... anybody went to Gong Kedak for the 11Sqn open day?

heard the MkM air displays were superb...

Awesome coverage from KUA,Iwan.

Love the Fulcrums and the Flankers! I still remember vividly the roaring sound of the Hornet while it was doing practice over the skies of KCH for the 49th National Day which was held there in 2006;but the Hornets didn't fly on Aug 31st!

Thanks a lot for sharing, Iwan !!!

Seems TUDM sent in most of their aircraft types to the show !!!

Too bad the bannisters were too high for some unobstructed static shots :(

Bro.. your Nuri trying to chop people's head shot, I suggest you give it a shot at A.net... power!!!, need help editing.. pm me :good:

haha..can also,i didnt consider earlier since i got rejected 3-4 times already..stopped trying after that.. :p

Good coverage Iwan... :good:

worth the trip to Kuantan...

You managed to get the USAF C130 full body.... on approach... ;)

As for some blurry shots eventho' speed at 1/1000s,

probably auto focusing not fast enough...

BTW... anybody went to Gong Kedak for the 11Sqn open day?

heard the MkM air displays were superb...

thanks!about time i get myself a better camera i guess..this one was my brothers since i thought airshows are too rare for me to make buying a camera worth it..but if already sayang sampai macam ni,i thnik i better get myself one.. :)

Awesome coverage from KUA,Iwan.

Love the Fulcrums and the Flankers! I still remember vividly the roaring sound of the Hornet while it was doing practice over the skies of KCH for the 49th National Day which was held there in 2006;but the Hornets didn't fly on Aug 31st!

yup!the fulcrums and flankers looked great in the sky but that hornet engine sound is just awesome!heard that TVC were turned off for both MkMs since it involved low level flights..

Thanks a lot for sharing, Iwan !!!

Seems TUDM sent in most of their aircraft types to the show !!!

Too bad the bannisters were too high for some unobstructed static shots :(

yeah surprisingly it was like a mini-LIMA already..it was hard to take pictures as theres always someone posing in front of the planes..even the less popular ones like the machi and hawks..waited for 20 minutes in front of the MkM hoping for a chance to get a clean shot..walked away with a sunburn after that.. :p

one of the few things that amazed me was the size of those air to air missiles!never expected it to be so big,i mean even the R-73 was alot bigger than i thought.maybe because im used to seeing it in relation to the size of the plane,thats why it looked small.now i understand why it costs millions.the circuits inside really doesnt look like something that was built to blown up.

Edited by iwan

Thanks for the coverage, Iwan! :)

Looks like RMAF Kuantan is the place to go - it is really open! You guys can actually get so close to the aircraft and pilots! :)

Any further info about the USAF C-130?

The MC-130PCombat Shadow was in Malaysia to support the Teak Mint 2010,a joint training between Air Force Special Operations Command(AFSOC) and RMAF's Pasukan Khas Udara(PASKAU). It came from Kadena Air Base,Japan. Usually they'll send a MC-130H Combat Talon II in June but its a different variant for this year.

June 2008: 89-0282 MC-130H Combat Talon II, Subang AFB

June 2009: 83-1212 MC-130H Combat Talon II, Subang AFB

June 2010: 69-5831 MC-130P Combat Shadow, Kuantan AFB

The MC-130PCombat Shadow was in Malaysia to support the Teak Mint 2010,a joint training between Air Force Special Operations Command(AFSOC) and RMAF's Pasukan Khas Udara(PASKAU). It came from Kadena Air Base,Japan. Usually they'll send a MC-130H Combat Talon II in June but its a different variant for this year.

June 2008: 89-0282 MC-130H Combat Talon II, Subang AFB

June 2009: 83-1212 MC-130H Combat Talon II, Subang AFB

June 2010: 69-5831 MC-130P Combat Shadow, Kuantan AFB

USAF AFSOC? Wow,USAF Spec Ops team!

I'm definately going to this year's open day!! Counting days for 12 March...

I wish I am on the way there. Looking forward to the coverage of the Kuantan AFB Open House :-)

Anyone going? Something just happened n i have to cancel my trip there... :sorry:

Hope someone can provide us with lots of pics n details about d event!