MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

Airline Meals

Just stumbled upon airlinemeals.net ( saw a couple of familiar names there under the MAS meals comments wink.gif ). Judging from the photos I think MAS is very generous when it comes to stuffing its passengers! biggrin.gif

Two questions:

1) What's the best/worst airline dining experience you ever had aboard any carrier? Any horror stories?

2)How come MAS is still using steel fork and knife (post 9-11)? smile.gif

Edited by H Azmal

My answers to your questions Azmal:

1. My worst experience with food was on QF. There is the entire story in another topic here on this forum, but basically, there was no meal for me on a flight which was only 60% loaded from Perth to Singapore a few years back. Then QF asian meals are some sorta meat (i.e. Pork, Beef or Chicken) with hoi-sin sauce and fragrant jasmine rice! Thank god for their yummy salads and mustard honey dressing!

2. MH sometimes does and sometimes does not use steel knifes on flights.. all flights to Australia and Europe and USA utilise plastic knives, but more sharper and savage metal forks smile.gif hahaha

My worst airline food experience were:

1. British Airways: Requested for MOML but got what appears to be 100% vegetarian....mostly salad. Hungry all the way in a 9 hr flight.

2. Aeroflot: A lump of beef uplifted in Karachi.

Azmal, are you in the UK now?

my worst meal was on Qantas (LHR-SIN)..... i requested MOML from BA (codeshare flight) weeks in advance. they said that there was no problem. at the airport....QF said they had no MOML...so had to get the vege option which i reserved. then they bloody gave me cheese and ham quiche...didn't they????

had one bite and felt really sick!

Azmal, are you in the UK now?

25099[/snapback]

Unfortunately, no...though those who know me can attest to how much I want to be there! cool.gif

Izanee, talking about ham, this reminds me of a blog entry I read sometime back:

I asked the caterer what meat it was, to which he replied “Ham”. Disappointed, I had no choice but to focus on the salad only. But to my surprise, my countryman attacked the ham with full vigour. I asked, “Kenapa engkau makan jugak?”.

"Dia kata 'hen'..."

laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by H Azmal

My worst airline meal experience is BR (Eva Air) SIN - TPE - SEA - TPE - KUL. Usually I don't care too much about food quality and basically just finish everything presented to me. On all these sectors, there were leftovers when trays were collected.

I suddenly lost all the appetite I had and just had to "swallow" as much as I could so that I would not get hungry in flight.

However, the economy deluxe class seat pitch was a welcoming relief to an otherwise culinary disaster in the air for me.

Guest Fendy

worst: thai... some special meal thing... came in a limited edition box and the contents looked like a fish had a gang bang sex party with various vegetables and it was as cold as the ice age... it smelled like the armpits of a sweaty man sitting in a zinc box on a 50 degree celcius day, and tasted like an old shoe dipped in vinegar and mayonaise with a hint of something that was burnt in the oven on a thanksgiving day dinner. yuck.

aeroflot comes in a close second with a scrawny chicken wing and a cup of water.

Best: EVA - because its fresh-looking and not heavy/oily. Even the missus (who is JAL long-term customer) agrees EVA meals are delicious.

This is an example on the EVA NRT-TPE sector. The white soba (noodle) is usually served during winter. Small bottle is sauce for the noodle, pour all into box and mix with seaweed and wasabi (green mustard).

user posted image

Worst: BA - the croissant is rock-hard.

Worst airline meal I ever had would have to be on EK MEL-AKL where the omelette tasted like plastic.

is it me, or do all airline breakfasts suck...

I hate the omelettes on ALL airlines.. there is just something wrong with them lah... the nicest is the roast tomatoes.

is it me, or do all airline breakfasts suck...

I hate the omelettes on ALL airlines.. there is just something wrong with them lah... the nicest is the roast tomatoes.

25269[/snapback]

QF'sdomestic breakfasts are OK.

MH's continental breakfast is nothing to shout about and I just hate those banana flavoured yogurt drink. Can't they have other flavours instead ?

MH's buns are alwayas so hard and dry. It will be more hygenic and perhaps better in texture if the buns are individually wrapped, instead of having the whole loaf in a big bag and taken one by one to put on the tray.

For some reason my favourite airline meal is cooked breakfast. Or any kind of meal really. Omelettes and mushrooms - heaven! I decided to have a 4 hour transit in SIN in an effort to get on SQ237 (refreshment, full breakfast) instead of SQ227 (dinner, continental breakfast). I've only had a bad airline hot brekky once and thats as my post above.

Incidentally my best meal on an airline also happened to be a cooked breakfast - freshly scrambled eggs on CX F! biggrin.gif

As for continental breakfast I'm always quite careful to avoid them as the few airline continental breakfasts I've had were not too inspiring (SQ, MH, QF, BA). And what is with SQ and fairy cakes?? :S

Edited by Keith T

you cant beat those eggs on CX Keith.

they're made FRESH!!!

25326[/snapback]

Oh totally mate!

nasi lemak

25311[/snapback]

I have to say that is the best breakfast that I have ever had on MH. However, it has been a long time since I had it. Do they still serve breakfast in Y class anymore?

Local food on MAS has declined of late... this should be readdressed, because afterall, i am of the opinion that we have some of the tastiest food in the world! Rendang, Nasi Lemak, Satay, Briyani, Curry, Stir-fries, Mamak Mee, Maggi Goreng etc etc etc

Malay Cuisine, Chinese cuisines, Indian cuisines!!! We've got it all!!! Have the western option, but be more creative with the asian selections, MAS! Use our local foods! Our chefs would be more experienced with such meals and also we malaysians love it AND they aren'y expensive to make!!! That's the best of all!!!

looked like a fish had a gang bang sex party with various vegetables

25205[/snapback]

You are my hero. How on earth did you get such inspiration to describe your meal? I love you man.........

I have to say that is the best breakfast that I have ever had on MH.  However, it has been a long time since I had it.  Do they still serve breakfast in Y class anymore?

25438[/snapback]

Well, yeah they are delicious.

I had it once only, but squid sambal.

I'm not a fan of squid.....

i think MH's bread and rolls needs some attention. THey often come out, erm demented.

My response to H (as in Hafizi?) Azmal's original questions ...

1. Worse meal - definitely the alfafa sprout sandwich which QF served onboard flight from MEL to SIN via SYD for refreshment before landing at SIN way back in 1985. I requested for muslim meal and was given a meal that was clearly stated to be suitable for both muslims and hindus ... so vegetarian lah sad.gif The dude sitting next to me had a juicy looking, albeit non-halal, turkey and ham sandwich huh.gif The nasi goreng served on KL from KUL to AMS in 2005 was also yuckish and close second (not sure cooked in KUL or CGK).

2. I thought MH always uses plastic utensils ... anyway, all my life, I've flown MH only either domestically, to MES (in 1995), to SIN and to Oz for countless of times. All my other trips especially the ones to Europe were via foreign airliners! Also as mentioned before (a few months ago); my muslim meal from AMS to KUL in April 2005 used a plastic knife but with stainless steel fork and spoon laugh.gif

Best omelette (with mushrooms) - muslim meal breakfast on SQ just before arriving MAN from SIN via BOM in 1998. I wonder whether this was prepared in SIN or BOM wink.gif

Best Nasi Lemak (with mild chicken rendang) - muslim meal breakfast on NZ from SIN to AKL in 2005.

Edited by Hisham Albakri

Sign in to follow this