MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

AK premium-rate customer service phone line

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should customer pay premium rate for CS lines?

• Yes
    • No

Saw on a Chinese forum where someone rants about AK's latest novelty: premium-rate customer service phone line at RM1.95/min to 600 85 9999.

Granted, you don't have to call on that line to get support - according to AK's site 03 2171 9333 is still accessible, although it is said the line is heavily congested that makes you pay to wait. But whether the premium rate is worth it is another story though.

So in your opinion is that what AK should do - opening up another revenue source, or should they give us 1800-numbered toll-free CS line instead?

Actually a 1-800 line should be given to all those who had their flights cancelled or retimed so that they can make alternative arrangements to the retimed or cancelled. If it is the customer who changes his mind after booking, they can elect for standard or premium service. Of course, they should continue with their web and live chat service.

Another incentive not to pick up the phone? If line is congested they should try to hire more people. As I have mentioned before AK's customer service is virtually non-existence. So now if you want service for stuff that you buy you have to pay for them? What do you think if Nikon starts selling cheap cameras that doesn't come with warranty but instead you pay for the warranty?

Already happening in computers! Dell, HP, Acer, etc. all charge extra if you want 2 or 3 year warranties! Many companies are "unbundling" things so that the basic cost is the lowest cost.

Already happening in computers! Dell, HP, Acer, etc. all charge extra if you want 2 or 3 year warranties! Many companies are "unbundling" things so that the basic cost is the lowest cost.

Ya but standard is still 1 year. Some products have shorter lifespan than 3 years i.e. digital p&s cameras and you can pay extra for extended warranty for those. But what if it doesn't come with even 1 year of warranty and you have to pay for that?

Actually it is a bit different with AirAsia. There is basic customer service via the "Manage My Booking" facility on the website. There is also live chat. But a lot of people still want to make phone calls. It is a bit like banks have ATMs but people still like to deposit and withdraw money at the manual tellers.

I still maintain that for changes caused by AirAsia, there should be free service in case the customer is not able to accept their changes. All other service that you require and the events are caused by yourself, you should be able to choose between standard or premium service.

this is just a humiliation to the whole CS industry. they make it sound that you only get CS when you're willing to pay. basic LCC model have given them avenues to make more and more money out of everything. i just hope someday Tony will go back to the basic of any service orientated industry. :pardon:

like it or not i've screwed them up in their Facebook. posted up massage and the usual reply, "oh i'm sorry to hear that... why not this... why not that...."

They've claimed new web is cater for better window which enable lower generation window system to navigate the website, which in my case of the latter failed to login and to do necessary changes. to make it worse, some changes that i needed me to called them up and the line is so ***king useless. this is pissing me off very very much. slap slap..

btw just a note that a 1-800 toll free number is just a queue free number, and not a charge free number. this is a common misunderstanding among us malaysians. you still get charged some premium price to call those numbers! and i was also told by a friend from the GS dept. that the premium line is actually being operated in UK, hence the premium charge!

btw just a note that a 1-800 toll free number is just a queue free number, and not a charge free number. this is a common misunderstanding among us malaysians. you still get charged some premium price to call those numbers! and i was also told by a friend from the GS dept. that the premium line is actually being operated in UK, hence the premium charge!

I believe most 1800 lines are toll-free, but only if you call via TM landline.

I called Acer's 1800 line to inquire their laptop and I'll wait and see for sure if the call is indeed free or charged on next bill.

Even if 1800 lines charge you that's not gonna be RM1.95/min...

1-800 numbers are toll-free if made from a landline. Maybe there is a basic local charge if made thru the mobile.

30 sen is the standard per-minute for local mobile calls.

RM 1.95 per minute is the call charge for companies that are trying to make money from the call charge itself. 30 sen for the telco, the rest for themselves.

Edited by Radzi

1-800 numbers are toll-free if made from a landline. Maybe there is a basic local charge if made thru the mobile.

30 sen is the standard per-minute for local mobile calls.

RM 1.95 per minute is the call charge for companies that are trying to make money from the call charge itself. 30 sen for the telco, the rest for themselves.

:good:

Believe the need for another LCC in the country is overdue.

Since Silverfly is granted AOC, hope they can compete with AK. Silverfly may not match AK promotional fare but hope can elevate CS level.

:drinks:

Saw on a Chinese forum where someone rants about AK's latest novelty: premium-rate customer service phone line at RM1.95/min to 600 85 9999.

Sorry OT:

Do 600-line exist till today here? Previously somewhere in late 90's it so popular among Malaysian to gain fast profit from landline and parents cry to pay the bill...

and yes, 1-800 is chargeable from mobile network...