MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Yusoff

Bangkok Airways ATR 72-500 Skidded Runway

This just came up, from AVherald:

Accident: Bangkok Airways AT72 at Koh Samui on Aug 4th 2009, skidded off the runway

By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Aug 4th 2009 08:33Z, last updated Tuesday, Aug 4th 2009 08:33Z

A Bangkok Airways Aerospatiale ATR-72-500, flight PG-266 from Krabi to Koh Samui (Thailand), skidded off the runway at Koh Samui and collided with an old unused control tower. 10 minor injuries are being reported, the airplane is said to have received substantial damage to the nose section.

The airline believes, heavy rain at the time of the landing contributed to the accident.

Heard it on the radio too on the way back from work. Apparently the pilot was killed.

RIP for those who were killed in that incident.

BTW,Didn't Koh Samui Airport already have a new terminal building? :pardon:

BANGKOK – A plane skidded off the runway and crashed into an air traffic control tower after landing on the Thai resort island of Samui on Tuesday, killing the chief pilot and injuring at least seven people including foreign tourists, officials said.

The co-pilot and six tourists were injured after the Bangkok Airways flight landed in stormy weather and hit the airport's old tower, said Kanikka Kemawutanond, director-general of the Department of Civil Aviation.

"The heavy damage was at the front of the plane where the pilot was. It looks like he suffered from the impact," police Maj. Col. Sayan Sartsri said.

The co-pilot, who was stuck in the aircraft, was among the last to be evacuated from the stricken plane.

Kannikka, who earlier reported that 34 persons had been injured, said that only seven were hospitalized while others just sustained bruises and shock.

"(They) are resting at hotels before they are transferred to Bangkok," she said.

Samui, located 298 miles (480 kilometers) south of Bangkok, is an island in the Gulf of Thailand popular with foreign tourists.

Puttipong Prasartthong-Osoth, managing director of Bangkok Airways, said the foreign passengers included nationals of Italy, Spain, Switzerland, France, Germany and Great Britain.

He said four passengers — two Britons, one Italian and one Swiss — suffered broken legs, while two other Britons suffered less severe injuries. The co-pilot also had leg injuries.

Kanikka said the ATR72-500 twin-turboprop had 68 passengers, two pilots and two crew members on board and was flying from Krabi, another popular resort area in southern Thailand.

"Initial reports indicated that the weather was bad with heavy rain and wind. We do not know what the pilot did or did not do that led to the incident at this point and I would rather not speculate," she said.

Kanikka said the Samui airport runway was closed after the accident and at least one Thai Airways flight was canceled.

In 1990, a Bangkok Airways turboprop crashed into a coconut grove short of the airport during heavy rain, killing all 37 people on board.

The French-Italian manufactured ATR72 has been involved in a number of incidents in recent years.

One in South Korea skidded off the runway while landing at the resort island of Jeju in 2006, injuring six people. Two years earlier, an ATR72 of Thai Airways had to make an emergency evacuation of passengers when its front landing gear collapsed during a landing in northern Thailand.

A Cambodian airliner slipped off a runway and got stuck in the mud near the ancient temples of Angkor in 2001. And in 1994, a Chicago-bound American Eagle ATR-72 crashed in northern Indiana, killing all 68 people aboard.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090804/ap_on_re_as/as_thailand_plane_crash

z

my god!! i took the exact plane's photo at BKK just few hours before the incident yesterday.. :( took this while my plane taxying to BKK's MTB while HS-PGL taxying to the RWY

DSC_0058small.jpg

Edited by Fairul

Metars (the airport has not released any new Metars after the accident so far):

VTSM 040700Z 29015KT 9000 FEW020TCU SCT120 BKN300 31/25 Q1007 A2974 TCU-NW

VTSM 040600Z 29012KT 9999 FEW020 SCT120 32/25 Q1007 A2976

VTSM 040400Z 24004KT 9999 FEW020 SCT120 31/24 Q1008 A2979

VTSM 040300Z 27008KT 9999 FEW020 SCT120 SCT300 31/24 Q1008 A2979

VTSM 040200Z 27010KT 9999 FEW020 SCT120 30/24 Q1008 A2979

Accident site (Photo: AP):

bangkok_airways_at72_samui_090804_1.jpg

HS-PGL at the control tower (Photo: APA/EPA/Sitthipoing Chareonjai):

bangkok_airways_at72_samui_090804_2.jpg

Works to free the co-pilot (Photo: APA/EPA/Sitthipoing Chareonjai):

bangkok_airways_at72_samui_090804_3.jpg

Map (Courtesy Google Earth):

bangkok_airways_at72_samui_090804_map.jpg

Weather Satellite Infrared Image Aug 3rd 06:00Z (Photo: MTSAT):

bangkok_airways_at72_samui_090804_sat.jpg

source: http://avherald.com/h?article=41db9796

Fairul,

You snapped the photo of the ill-fated ATR before it crashes at Samui ? :blink:

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

my god!! i took the exact plane's photo at BKK just few hours before the incident yesterday.. :( took this while my plane taxying to BKK's MTB while HS-PGL taxying to the RWY

DSC_0058small.jpg

Tunggu lagi?... A.net la bro..

ATR 72 again...luckily all passangers on board is survive, except the pilot... as i know bangkok airways has a good safety records izt?