MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Allocation of departure gates and info screens

How are the departure gates at KLIA allocated and who controls the information at the gates?

I’m at KLIA now and noticed that MH4 to LHR is departing from H2. I can see plently of space at the satellite terminal so how come the 744 is parked at the MT?

Regarding the screens, often I find that the delays are not reflected on the screens at the gate and the staff shrug their shouler and say that don’t know who updates them.

Being a regular Singapore-KL traveler I often flight SQ/MI and I find that SQ usually stick up a piece of paper informing people of the delay. Not much use if you rush from a lounge or restaurant to find the flight delayed.

I’m at KLIA now and noticed that MH4 to LHR is departing from H2. I can see plently of space at the satellite terminal so how come the 744 is parked at the MT?

For 744 to dock at MT, likely VVIP (loyalty) will be travelling on MH4.

:drinks:

For 744 to dock at MT, likely VVIP (loyalty) will be travelling on MH4.

Errm... the Loyal ones or the Royal ones?... ;)

How are the departure gates at KLIA allocated and who controls the information at the gates?

I'm at KLIA now and noticed that MH4 to LHR is departing from H2. I can see plently of space at the satellite terminal so how come the 744 is parked at the MT?

Regarding the screens, often I find that the delays are not reflected on the screens at the gate and the staff shrug their shouler and say that don't know who updates them.

Being a regular Singapore-KL traveler I often flight SQ/MI and I find that SQ usually stick up a piece of paper informing people of the delay. Not much use if you rush from a lounge or restaurant to find the flight delayed.

Don't quote me on this, but IIRC the airline updates the flight info, which will then be transmitted to a central computer for the info to be displayed on boards/tv. All flights sorted by departure time, of course.

Ooops! :p Thanks

I liked to think I am loyal. :(

Don't quote me on this, but IIRC the airline updates the flight info, which will then be transmitted to a central computer for the info to be displayed on boards/tv. All flights sorted by departure time, of course.

If I'm taking an SQ flight from KUL I log into flightstats.com and see if the incoming flight is on time. Can't really do that at KUL for MAS though.

If I'm taking an SQ flight from KUL I log into flightstats.com and see if the incoming flight is on time. Can't really do that at KUL for MAS though.

Not too sure then. But I tried searching for an MH flight ex-KUL and it seems to display the info.

http://is.gd/1llUV

Indeed, this works for Amsterdam-Schiphol airport...the airlines can even block flights from showing...

The airport itself will allocate the parking spots/gates per arrival/departure time, though, all depending on the aircraft type.

(in AMS'case: a 737 will depart from a gate, but when changed to a Fokker/Embraer, it will be a remote stand)

Not too sure then. But I tried searching for an MH flight ex-KUL and it seems to display the info.

http://is.gd/1llUV

The problem is that flight stats usually shows the outbound flight as on time, even for a ex KUL SQ flight which is seriously delayed inbound.

I somethmes that that the small delays dont get reported becuase people will complain.

The problem is that flight stats usually shows the outbound flight as on time, even for a ex KUL SQ flight which is seriously delayed inbound.

I somethmes that that the small delays dont get reported becuase people will complain.

Sounds like there may be more than one database holding the flight info - and airlines can choose whether to transmit them to the world, or not. Flight ops usually will have the most detailed timings, but these timings are not necessarily fed on-the-second to ground services. Say, for a 30-minute delay, Ops may have retimed the flight for exactly 30 mins, but Ground service might have only been told of a 10-minute delay. Off the top of my head, I know of at least 3 different programs that an airline need to use to update flight times. And the fun part is, they do not interact with each other, so it depends entirely on what the user updates it to. :p

Do airlines get to choose/bid on which gates they want?

I think so, CX love gate C27 at KLIA...lol...(or is it C37. not sure)

Edited by Seth K

Do airlines get to choose/bid on which gates they want?

Yes, they can enter a contractual agreement to "lock away" certain gates for the airline.

Sign in to follow this