MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Syed A Ridhwan

Anger over 'sexist' Virgin advertisement

Anger over 'sexist' Virgin advertisement

0,,6481262,00.jpg

Sexy ... men ogle glamorous red-suited hostesses in a

sexy Virgin Atlantic advertisement that has come under fire

Virgin Atlantic has been accused of sexism over a steamy advertising campaign featuring crowds lusting over sexy female cabin crew.

A string of complaints have been made to Britain’s advertising watchdog arguing that the ad is insulting to women.

The 90-second television ad shows red-suited cabin crew walking through an airport for Virgin Atlantic’s first flight in 1984.

Onlookers turn their heads and men ogle the sexy hostesses with dreamy looks on their faces, enthralled with the progression.

One man drops his mobile phone and another squirts sauce from his hamburger down his shirt.

The ending of the ad shows a scantily-dressed woman painted on the side of the Virgin plane winking as the plane takes off, with the line “still red hot”.

England’s Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) received 29 complaints over the ad campaign, which also includes press advertising, arguing that the ads are insulting to women.

However the ASA has insisted the campaign is not sexist.

"The general crux of the complaints was that the ad was offensive because it was sexist and presented a stereotypical view of gender roles," the ASA said.

"We considered that most viewers would understand that the ad presented exaggerated stereotypical views of the early 1980s and played upon perceived attitudes of that time in a humorous way."

A spokesman for Virgin Atlantic told the UK’s Telegraph that the advertising campaign has been well-received.

"The ASA has rightly dismissed these complaints, which probably come from competitors jealous of our fantastic cabin and flight crew,” he said.

Virgin was previously accused of discrimination against women with a 2005 tribunal ruling that Virgin Blue, which operates in Australia, discriminated against eight female flight attendants who were not hired “because they weren’t young or attractive enough”.

British advertisements aren't the only campaigns to come under fire - Australia has seen its fair share of controversy. Britain's watchdog Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre banned Australia’s "So where the bloody hell are you?" tourism campaign in 2006.

Source

Check the ad if you haven't seen it, I thought it was great. :lol:

To be honest, i think it's an excellent advert. It's just saying 'our airline is sexier than yours' - typical Virgin really :)

Edited by Syed A Ridhwan

I personally find nothing sexist in the TV ad, there are things that are worse than this, namely those from one hypocritical organization that claims they fight for animal rights... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW anyone interested can go to here to see their ad.

Guest Rahim Rani

Virgin Atlantic really knows how to attract customers....ads is awesome. Air Asia had done it...I love sitting front, right row, alley seat...lots of "Wayang Free". No wonder that day the old pervert arguing with me over the seat...!!!

Creativity comes from within... :good:

Edited by Rahim Rani

Even if you read the printed ads of airlines, (in Gereral forum) airline over the years capitalise on the imej of their friendly "hostess" urging people to "fly me"....

Even SQ and MH do that, minus the sexy poses and 'slow-mo" and short skirts....but still the face of an ever smilling FA who is eager to charm you over with their grace and beauty is there.

Is it because the majority of those flying are men? i remember CX ran an ad of 2 men in First and Business class and a lady in Economy and it caused quite a stir.....Care to share your opinion????

Source

Check the ad if you haven't seen it, I thought it was great. :lol:

To be honest, i think it's an excellent advert. It's just saying 'our airline is sexier than yours' - typical Virgin really :)

It's all about their culture. For them, objectifying women is sexist, whereas here in Asia, it's not a big issue. The Singapore Girl is a good case in point. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with that ad...just silly complaints.

Is it because the majority of those flying are men? i remember CX ran an ad of 2 men in First and Business class and a lady in Economy and it caused quite a stir.....Care to share your opinion????

The complainants are probably all hardcore feminists or probably came from some disproportionate or overweight air hostesses (not being sexist here, mind you :p) that works for the rival airline :lol:

Edited by Syed A Ridhwan

The complainants are probably all hardcore feminists or probably came from some disproportionate or overweight air hostesses (not being sexist here, mind you :p) that works for the rival airline :lol:

Yup, have dealt with those feminists when I was studying architecture in NZ. They are nothing but pain in the butt really.

Whatever guys do are always wrong, whatever the females do are always right. Frankly I think they should just get used to it and start dressing in red. :)

i dont find it sexist or insulting or steamy at all.. i find it interesting. obviously virgin tryna tell ppl out there that, they have an awesome cabin crew...

that's all. this is all marketing strategy, ad all other competitors always wants to put virgin down as he (richard) going up up and away....

Sign in to follow this