MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alan B.

Firefly to remove the fuel surcharge

Firefly is expected to announce the removal of fuel surcharges at 10 am this morning at Subang.

Yahooooo.... :yahoo:..More reason to fly with FY now..Thax Alan for the news..

But I really hope basic air fare will remain same as before.. B) B)

Below is the report by Bernama on the latest from FY. To download the podcast of my interview with Eddy Leong go to www.bfm.my

Firefly Removes Fuel Surchage For All Flights

PETALING JAYA, Dec 16 (Bernama) -- The country's community airline, Firefly, has completely removed fuel surcharge for all its destinations, both domestic and international, from Tuesday.

Managing director Eddy Leong said the removal of fuel surcharge was in line with the recent drop in the global oil prices.

"On top of this, our new aircraft, the ATR72-500, has proved its efficiency in fuel usage," he said at a media briefing on the"un-fare" and "un-fuel surcharge" programmes at the Malaysia Airlines complex in Subang today.

The airline had previously charged RM27 in fuel surchage for domestic flights while the charge for international routes varied depending on the location.

For its "un-fare" programme, Firefly from tomorrow will offer deals that allow people to buy a ticket from as low as RM35 for one-way trip.

"All inclusive, no extra charges but the public is advised to make bookings at least 21 days ahead," Leong said.

During the off peak season, the airline will be offering its lowest fares with discount of up to 80 percent or even zero fare, he said.

It will also offer attractive and value-for-money packages during the high peak season such as festive seasons, and school and year-end holidays, he added.

Leong said the programmes were to reward loyal customers and was also a good catalyst to attract people to travel.

"This initiative acknowledges the current economic situation and the need to provide more affordable and transparent air fares for business and leisure travellers," he said.

The average load factor for the airline is currently at around 70 percent.

Firely has five aircraft at present and will be getting another five by April next year and onwards.

It plans to introduce more new destinations with additional flights in the Growth Triangle like Padang, Jambi, Pelambang and Batam.

On the Singapore route, Leong said the airline was still hoping to operate the route and waiting for the government's response.

The airline operates under FlyFirely Sdn Bhd, which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines.

-- BERNAMA

However base fare seemed to be up by as much as RM40, even during midweek, off peak.... as a random check on JHB-SZB route in March 09 revealed (compared to a purchase made last week for this period) . So the total saving is by a whisker... about RM 2 or 3.... yeah, UN-FARE!

I dont know far the basic air base will be increased due to this good news.But as I check,, the fare to TGG from SZB remain same at 89.95MYR on 24 Jan (peak season Chinese New year) and plus 35.00MYR..So save RM27.00..yahoooo.....

OT:As what Datuk IJ told yesterday

"We never say NO (to remove the fuel surcharge) but we will looking from time to time.."

If passenger load maintain at 70% and above..It can be happen for domestic route..Who know..

I think the reason MH has yet to get rid of the fuel surcharge is that they had hedged their fuel and are still paying very high fuel prices. Following is taken from the MH Blog

Our cost management includes hedging. In the case of Malaysia Airlines, we have hedged about 48% of our fuel requirement at an average crude oil price of USD102 per barrel. As crude oil prices falls, there may be concerns of potential hedging losses from our fuel hedges. However, these potential losses are small, relative to the cost savings from our actual fuel consumption. Therefore, the decline in fuel prices is actually a net positive for Malaysia Airlines.

Paying 48% at USD102 is a lot when the current price is USD44.

Edited by Alan B.

Sign in to follow this