MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
rayner

Malaysia gets landing rights to four more places in France

Malaysia gets landing rights to four more places in France

By YVONNE TAN

TOULOUSE: Malaysia has been given landing rights in Lyon effective October 2009 and three other landing rights in France, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat said.

Speaking to reporters after the delivery ceremony of AirAsia X’s new Airbus A330 aircraft in Toulouse on Friday, Ong said the approval was given by the French government after several discussions with the latter.

“Starting from October next year, any local airline company can land for sectors from Kuala Lumpur or any two secondary airports to Lyon,” he said.

It had not been decided which secondary aiports would be involved, he added.

“However, it will not be the Subang airport,” he said.

Ong said the flight frequency for this new route would be three times per week upon commencement and five times per week by October 2010.

Lyon is the second largest city in France.

At present, Malaysia Airlines flies seven times a week on the KL-Paris route with a passenger load exceeding 70%.

On the three other landing rights, Ong said these were for the KL-Paris-London, KL-Dubai-Paris and KL to any destination in the east of Paris-Paris routes.

The frequency of flights had not been confirmed. “We have to discuss this further,” he said adding that total passengers for these routes had to exceed 80 per flight.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=nation

Wahh, good job.

If MH can utilize this and 'be good friends' with AF, Skyteam would be a very good possibility.

The Paris-London route should also be one of the busiest in Europe too, no? Does this mean AK/MH can fly this route?

Wahh, good job.

If MH can utilize this and 'be good friends' with AF, Skyteam would be a very good possibility.

The Paris-London route should also be one of the busiest in Europe too, no? Does this mean AK/MH can fly this route?

Actually, if MH were to directly serve these secondary French cities, it will do nothing to improve relations with AF. And even if MH is allowed to operate KUL-CDG-LHR, it does not necessarily mean that it will have fifth-freedom rights on the CDG-LHR sector. One really has to read the fine print of the agreement. Agreements are just paper documents with nice signatures and other embellishments . . . but in reality, will it be profitable for MH to operate KUL-Nice or KUL-Lyon? What sort of traffic does MH expect to carry on these routes? Isn't it better to boost KUL-CDG and codeshare with AF on flights to all the secondary French cities and others on the Iberian peninsula? This would certain improve relations with AF.

are we buying more submarines or something?

Hahaha . . . Izanee, you have a great sense of humour, but one that does have an historic relevance. MH and the Malaysian government had indeed previously demanded additional rights into CDG as part of MH's order for A330-300.

KC Sim

are we buying more submarines or something?

Submarines deal all done and sealed years ago (heck, they've even built a spanking new naval base to house them around this neck of the woods)

The recent flavour was for Cougars - helicopters that is. But that has now been shelved cause we're going to be poor very soon

Hence, very unlikely we'll be able to afford more submarines

:pardon:

Submarines deal all done and sealed years ago (heck, they've even built a spanking new naval base to house them around this neck of the woods)

The recent flavour was for Cougars - helicopters that is. But that has now been shelved cause we're going to be poor very soon

Hence, very unlikely we'll be able to afford more submarines

:pardon:

AFAIK, the new submarine base is around Kota Kinabalu? Does anyone know which area of KK?

Any countries with low saving / foreign reserve rate and huge foreign debt is bound to go under.

Does anyone know which area of KK?

Sepanggar, across the bay from where the new container port is

Try google earth it, astounding clarity ( :) or :( , depending on one's concerns)

hahaha...KC Sim/BC Tam...I was going to mention the Eurocopter but I think its a sore point at the moment! :)

On a more serious note, I do not really see MH operate flights to Lyon or Nice when it is struggling to fill up seats to LAX, day time LHR, EWR, ARN etc etc.

MH FAILED in its ZRH, MAN, VIE, MUC and MAD routes.

It might be that Lyon or Nice will be served by Air Asia X rather than MH.

Edited by Izanee

OFF TOPIC

Gosh :blink:

I used to go spear fishing there during my F27 days. It was a beautiful place and we had fish spawning in the area. All sorts of wildlife can be foud there. No more i guess, with the kind of development. :mellow:

I would imagine you'll still encounter "wildlife" in the area, though of a different variety from the ones God placed there originally, certainly more dangerous, with the human species being the principal prey nowadays :)