MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sneeze Lam

A380 begins technical route proving in final phase of certification process

31 October 2006

The world's largest commercial airliner, the 555 seat Airbus A380, will start its technical route proving exercise on 13th November 2006 to carry out function and reliability tests at key airports around the world. This exercise is the last of the trials required for Type Certification, which is expected in mid December. For the trial, the aircraft has to make over 150 flight hours on a continuous typical airline schedule, performing in its normal operational environment. The aircraft will be operated by Airbus flight crews with the participation of Airworthiness Authority pilots from both EASA and FAA.

The aircraft used for the trial is A380 MSN002 and is powered by four Rolls Royce Trent 900 engines. Starting from Toulouse, France, it will be visiting ten different airports in four trips. They include Singapore and Seoul during the first trip (14th and 15th November), then Hong Kong and Narita on 18th and 19th November. The third trip brings the aircraft to Guangzhou (22nd November), and Beijing and Shanghai (23rd November).

The fourth and final trip will take the A380 around the globe, via both poles. It will depart Toulouse to reach Johannesburg on 26th November, and then fly over the South Pole en-route to Sydney where it will arrive on 28th November. From Sydney, it will fly across the Pacific to Vancouver (29th November) prior to returning to Toulouse via the North Pole.

During this technical route proving exercise, the A380 will have to demonstrate that it can be turned around as per normal airline operations. Tests will cover, amongst other things, checks on standard aircraft maintenance and behaviour, as well as typical airport operations and compatibility. These will include monitoring functions such as bridge docking, cleaning and catering, refuelling and boarding procedures.

Five development A380s have now flown. Four aircraft, one of which is powered by the Engine Alliance GP7200 engine, are now actively involved in the intensive flight test programme, which has already reached over 730 flights and 2,300 flight hours. The fifth aircraft is undergoing cabin installation in Hamburg. Firm orders and commitments for the A380 currently stand at 176 aircraft for 16 customers.

Airbus is an EADS company.

I hope that the A380 will be certified in time becaus I really want to see it in the airlines' livery at LAX :mellow: :mellow: :rofl:

The aircraft used for the trial is A380 MSN002 and is powered by four Rolls Royce Trent 900 engines.

She might be visiting DUS prior to her Asian stint, as this sunday between 1100-1500 hours, an A380 will visit that airport (rumored to be in LH colours)...depending on the weather, I might see if I can drive down there, however, weather predictions are bad and 200000 people are expected (= long traffic-jams and parking problems).

Hi Pieter,

You should make the drive to DUS and bump up the number of people waiting for this mammoth jet to 200,001.

With DUS' reputation for great viewing spots, it would certainly be a worthwhile trip. Perhaps a thread could be created for folks from different cities to post pictures of the A380 on these rounds of flights around the world.

I will certainly be photographing it in Singapore (as are many of the other enthusiasts . . . with the number of these taking leave, Singapore's workforce must shrink significantly on 14 Nov).

KC Sim

And I'll be standing by at LAX waiting for the info of the A380 arriving (I live not so far from LAX [15-25 miles]) :lol: .

read this news sometime ago at AM... btw, just wondder why don't fly into KLIA this time?

Because MAS isn't making that much "noise" about the delay! (actually, secretly, MAS and PMB are both breathing a sigh of relief at the delay! ) heheh Don't quote me, I'm only speculating :)

Hi Pieter,

You should make the drive to DUS and bump up the number of people waiting for this mammoth jet to 200,001.

KC Sim

Guys,

Didn't go afterall due to extremely bad weather and gale-force winds :(

'Only' 70000 people went to the airport to watch F-WXXL; she's in the standard 'Airbus' dress/livery

Here's a link of her landing at DUS:

http://www.flugzeugbilder.de/show.php?id=554395

Would have been a new frame for me, as saw F-WWDD at SXF :blink:

I hope there will be a huge thunderstorm over Changi when she arrived.

If it could happen to Wunala Dreaming, it could happen to the A380 as well.

I hope there will be a huge thunderstorm over Changi when she arrived.

If it could happen to Wunala Dreaming, it could happen to the A380 as well.

What if there's a huge thunderstorm over KL as well?

What if there's a huge thunderstorm over KL as well?

Diverting to PEN/LGK ? :huh:

*OT*, what kind of weather did you have at DXB 12/11 ? :

KL0161/12nov (DXB-KUL) was delayed with 1.30 hrs 'due to adverse weather conditions at DXB' and

KL0427/12nov (AMS-DXB) diverted to SHJ 'due to ATC problems and use of single runway at DXB' :o

Well...winters a comin'... :yahoo:

Strong winds...sand storms...and regular 18-aircraft holds... :blink:

Airbus Sees A380 Certification By Dec 13

November 24, 2006

Airbus expects its A380 superjumbo to receive technical certification by December 13, a senior company official said in remarks published in a newspaper on Friday.

"We are now confident on delivering the A380 superjumbo as per the new dates," Keith Stonestreet, product marketing director of Airbus' A380 Marketing Division, told Gulf News, adding the jet was undergoing a final series of tests with Rolls-Royce engines.

"By December 13, we expect to receive the Air Worthiness Certificate from both US regulators, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA)," he said.

Deliveries of the A380, the world's biggest commercial airliner, are two years behind schedule, partly due to problems with installing wiring on the aircraft.

Airbus parent EADS said on Tuesday it had had no fresh order cancellations for the A380 since FedEx canceled an order for 10 of the A380-800F freighter version this month.

A delegation from Emirates, the biggest buyer of the plane, visited Airbus manufacturing plants last week to assess progress on re-cabling the aircraft.

"Our engineers have returned from Toulouse. We are evaluating the audit information internally," the paper quoted an Emirates spokesperson as saying.

Emirates has 43 of the USD$300 million planes on order.

(Reuters)