MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
FK Wong

Emergency landing by HM Aerospace 4/3/08

There was a crash that happened at langkawi this morning involving a Diamond 40 single engine type aircraft crash land over at the swamp area where they placed the HIALS for runway 03 and they suspect an EFATO.Any updates anyone?

Light aircraft makes crash landing, none hurt

By SIRA HABIBULANGKAWI

: A four-seater light aircraft made a crash landing close to a swamp near the Langkawi International Airport during a routine training exercise. Langkawi OCPD Supt Mohd Ali Jamaluddin said the student pilot and the instructor onboard the Diamond 40 aircraft escaped unhurt. Supt Mohd Ali said the aircraft engine stalled, forcing the instructor to make a crash landing at 11am Tuesday. “It landed on hard ground at the buffer zone of the airport,” he said. Mohd Ali said the instructor had tried to minimise damage while crash landing. “But the aircraft crashed into an anthill, dislodging the left tyre. The wing was also damaged as the aircraft almost crashed into a ditch,” he said. The aircraft belonged to HM Aerospace Pilot Training School based in the island. A similar incident occurred on Feb 9 last year when trainee pilot Nor Azlan Yazid experienced engine failure while flying 900m above sea level. The aircraft plunged into the sea not far from Pulau Aman. Nor Azlan, who was piloting the aircraft during a solo training programme, miraculously survived although initially he had difficulty breaking the door open because of tremendous water pressure as the aircraft sank into the sea.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=nation

Edited by FK Wong

My apologies on the details as it is not an EFATO incident and it happened that they have an engine failure when they were joining back from the training area at approximately 1600ft and they landed short of the runway.

Egad... not exactly a news you would want to hear about... especially when it happened during a routine exercise. But I am glad the instructor and the student pilot were not hurt in the incident.

The engine failure was caused by a crack in the fuel pipeline. They lost fuel pressure and eventually it led to the engine failure. All HM aircraft was grounded for around one and a half hours and they replaced the fuel pipelines of all the aircraft. They were back in the air again for night flying later in the evening..

The engine failure was caused by a crack in the fuel pipeline. They lost fuel pressure and eventually it led to the engine failure. All HM aircraft was grounded for around one and a half hours and they replaced the fuel pipelines of all the aircraft. They were back in the air again for night flying later in the evening..

Why change all? All the pipeline long due already?

the principal said today morning it was a manufacturing defect, so i suppose they didnt want to take chances..

i see nothing and hear nothing

i wait for the official report to come out.

Btw, can the MOD's change the tittle to Another Forced Landing by HM Aerospace 4/3/2008..

Forced landing is the appropriate word i think.. :drinks:

Edited by Kader

Btw, can the MOD's change the tittle to Another Forced Landing by HM Aerospace 4/3/2008..

Errr.... I edit it as what The Star reported, since thread starter put up the source of his fact ;)

i believe either words can be used since it known to be that their situation was in dire state.

thanks for the changes...

An update from the officials here is

The plane took off RWY21.. climbed 1500 or 2500 (i'm not sure) gush gush gush eng fail

Trying to return back, MAYDAY call, cant make it to RWY03, short of RWY03, pilots unscratched.

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

This is a pretty famous problem i believe.. i had the same engine failure on c172 at Pangkal Pinang Indonesia..

The plane turn turtled after landing in a beautiful indonesia beach due to soft surfaces..

Moral of the story... :

pilots may need to open the engine cowling/fuel and check the fuel lining during pre flight check... is that possible ? for god sake... engineers out there please create a better pipelines so that we pilots can leave longer.. i was just lucky to be alive n type this... Thank God...

Sign in to follow this